Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August 2010
25-08-2010, 01:06 PM,
August 2010
Since being injured back in March I've done a couple of races recently and I'm beginning to do more regular running now. It's not been easy but I seem to be able to keep things under control by immersing my feet in ice-water regularly.

Arncliffe Gala Sports - Sat 14th August
---------------------------------------

Arncliffe is a small village that sits in one of the most beautiful valleys in the Yorkshire Dales about 15 miles north of Skipton. You expect James and Tristran to come walking around the corner at any moment. On offer was an undulating 4 mile road race down the valley to Hawkswick and back and a fell race of the up-and-down variety. Plus an array of other diversions such as kids races, strong-man and dog shows. After descending the Cracoe fell race like a sack-of-spuds a few weeks ago I stuck to the road and chanced-my-arm over 4 miles. For the most part I got away with it, coming home in a respectable time (25:02) then retiring up the fell to watch the other main race of the day. I could have stayed up on that hill til nightfall.

Burnsall Feast Sports - Sat 21st August
---------------------------------------

Burnsall is a similar event although it has a longer history and a bigger place in the calender. In fact it's worth reading about the history of this event to gain a full appreciation. There's a good section in Feet In The Clouds.

I opted for the 10 mile road race. Despite not having run (never mind raced) this distance since February I was feeling chipper enough to give it a go. With 5 mile splits of 33 and 43 minutes has anybody ever overestimated their fitness in ... the history of running? Let's just say it was a slow and painful ending. Although encouragingly I ran the first 5 miles well enough.

Better was to follow as Mrs G came in with a pb for this distance (no mean feat given the hills; the course goes to Grassington and back for anybody who knows the area). Then Junior G bagged the bronze medal in the under 8's fell race. And he's only 6. That's my boy.

But the real highlight of the day was watching the senior fell race. 140 years of history as Rob Hope (Pudsey & Bramley) battled it out with Ian Holmes (Bingley) for the honours whilst our own Helen Glover (Keighley) took the ladies trophy. Keighley also took the men's team prize on road and fell. Seeing the runners cascading down the hill then sprinting for the line in front of an appreciative crowd and under a blue sky, and in one of the most picturesque corners of Gods Own County, was indeed a stirring sight. Never to be forgotten and, with luck, oft repeated.

Glaconman at Arncliffe
History of Burnsall
Burnsall Picures
Burnsall Fell report
Burnsall 10 report
Arncliffe report
25-08-2010, 01:10 PM,
RE: August 2010
start of Burnsall 10 ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06-09-2010, 04:21 PM,
Stainland 7 - Stainland - Sunday 5th September
----------------------------------------------

En route to the Stainland 7 I found myself repeating the name of this settlement until it became a dramatic proclaimation of two seperate words in an exaggerated Amercian accent. Welcome to Stain Land. Glaconboy found this very amusing and started to join in. We did this over-and-over again until it ceased to be funny. To Mrs Glacon at least. She must feel like the single-mother of two boys at times. And by that I mean most-of-the-time.

After registration I had a quick trot around the back of the village until the last 3 miles of the course opened-up below. It then occured to me that I used to use this valley as a cut-through to get to my Mum's when she lived in Krumlin. Another great name. And once the venue of an obscure 60s Rock festival. It also occurred to me how testing the last few miles of this race would be. I went back in a hurry just to make sure that Mrs Glacon didn't see what I'd just seen; not until she was finishing the race at least.

If you like your running hilly and on road then the stainland 7 is a crazy mix of hill running that will well-and-truly light your fire. It begins with 1.5 miles of downhill. It's just the right gradient to allow fast running at it's freest. But there's silence on the road. People are enjoying the experience, but there's a common understanding of what running downhill means. This comes in the form of a 2.5 mile climb. Not much more to say really. When you get to the top you feel, not empty, but as though your best running is most definitely behind you.

Next the staged descent that plunges you into the heart of a typically intimate, South Pennine valley. Full of industrial and historical mystery. Now the gradient is uncomfortabley steep as you battle with the cobblestones, unsure whether to let yourself go and risk ruining your quads or turning an ankle at speed.

And lastly the staged ascent over about three sections. The sort of ascents that are only seen in 2D. All other visual cues are excluded. We just see up.

This race is what running is all about for me. The times incomparable and meaningless. The shared experience amongst the runners demonstated with a shake of the head and a glint in the eye.

Next stop The Ilkley Incline.
07-09-2010, 02:04 AM,
Stain land, Stain land
Boo-boo de boo-boo de boo bop-bom (in a Paul Simon stylee)

Yes I can see Mrs Glaconman's point of view. I love the sound of that race too. What goes down and all that. Great stuff.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 2009 glaconman 14 7,025 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man