Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads)
29-12-2011, 04:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011, 04:22 PM by El Gordo.)
RE: Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads)
Good work Julie.

I also did some research on Tripadvisor. Was tempted by the Gran Hotel, down by the sea, and also looked at a few on the east side of La Rambla i.e. closer to the stadium, but nothing appealed in particular. The Torreluz is actually quite central - we stayed there the first year we went to Almeria.

But I'm happy to give the Costasol a go. The reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty good and it seems to have free wifi, always a bonus. As for distance from the race start/finish, it's 2.8km according to GoogleMaps. Tryp Indalo is 2 km, but much further from La Rambla.

Unless we get a late objection from Sweder, or an inspired suggestion from Antonio, shall we just say we'll go for the CostaSol? Unless I hear back today (Thursday), I'll book it. As Julie says, it looks like 45 euros a night. Cheap. WEBSITE

While we are at it, who will be there in 2012? At the moment it seems to be El Gordo, Sweder, Julie, msilv, and possibly "Simon (tall fella not Mr Ho)". Who else?

Do we need to hire a vehicle?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-12-2011, 07:07 PM,
(29-12-2011, 04:09 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Good work Julie.

I also did some research on Tripadvisor. Was tempted by the Gran Hotel, down by the sea, and also looked at a few on the east side of La Rambla i.e. closer to the stadium, but nothing appealed in particular. The Torreluz is actually quite central - we stayed there the first year we went to Almeria.

But I'm happy to give the Costasol a go. The reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty good and it seems to have free wifi, always a bonus. As for distance from the race start/finish, it's 2.8km according to GoogleMaps. Tryp Indalo is 2 km, but much further from La Rambla.

Unless we get a late objection from Sweder, or an inspired suggestion from Antonio, shall we just say we'll go for the CostaSol? Unless I hear back today (Thursday), I'll book it. As Julie says, it looks like 45 euros a night. Cheap. WEBSITE

While we are at it, who will be there in 2012? At the moment it seems to be El Gordo, Sweder, Julie, msilv, and possibly "Simon (tall fella not Mr Ho)". Who else?

Do we need to hire a vehicle?

I think hotel Costasol is all right. It is older than Tryp Indalo but it looks quite renovated and it is in the city centre.

You can come with me to the stadium and back to the hotel after the race if you are patient enough to wait for me at the finish line.

Are you interested in going to the Italian restaurant on Saturday evening and Plaza de Cañas for the post race meal?

http://www.trastevere.es/eng/restaurante.php?id=17

http://www.plazadecanas.com/plaza/

Saludos desde Almería

29-12-2011, 08:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011, 08:15 PM by El Gordo.)
(29-12-2011, 07:07 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I think hotel Costasol is all right. It is older than Tryp Indalo but it looks quite renovated and it is in the city centre.

You can come with me to the stadium and back to the hotel after the race if you are patient enough to wait for me at the finish line.

Are you interested in going to the Italian restaurant on Saturday evening and Plaza de Cañas for the post race meal?

Saludos desde Almería

It was renovated in 2008 according to the website.

As for the restaurants, are these the ones we went to 2 years ago? If so, I would be happy to go to those again. Even if they are not the same, I would be happy to go to them as they look fine. (Maybe you went to them again last year, but I wasn't there.)

And a lift would be great. But I don't think I willl be waiting for you to finish...
El Gordo

29-12-2011, 08:57 PM,
(29-12-2011, 08:14 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(29-12-2011, 07:07 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I think hotel Costasol is all right. It is older than Tryp Indalo but it looks quite renovated and it is in the city centre.

Saludos desde Almería

It was renovated in 2008 according to the website.

As for the restaurants, are these the ones we went to 2 years ago? If so, I would be happy to go to those again. Even if they are not the same, I would be happy to go to them as they look fine. (Maybe you went to them again last year, but I wasn't there.)

And a lift would be great. But I don't think I willl be waiting for you to finish...

Yes, the restaurants are the ones we went to two years ago and this year as well.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

29-12-2011, 10:05 PM,
(29-12-2011, 08:14 PM)El Gordo Wrote: And a lift would be great. But I don't think I willl be waiting for you to finish...

Er, just in case you misunderstood that sentence (because it could sound rude if you did), I meant that I will be running more slowly than you -- if I finish at all -- and so you will be waiting for me. Smile

Personally, I would be happy with the two restaurants, but let's see what the others say.
El Gordo

29-12-2011, 10:35 PM,
(29-12-2011, 10:05 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(29-12-2011, 08:14 PM)El Gordo Wrote: And a lift would be great. But I don't think I willl be waiting for you to finish...

Er, just in case you misunderstood that sentence (because it could sound rude if you did), I meant that I will be running more slowly than you -- if I finish at all -- and so you will be waiting for me. Smile

Personally, I would be happy with the two restaurants, but let's see what the others say.

Don´t worry, EG, I understood the "....." nuage. It would be great if you could do the half marathon but if your injury is still soft enough to appear, you´d better do the 9 km race.

Best of luck!

29-12-2011, 11:23 PM,
(29-12-2011, 10:35 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Don´t worry, EG, I understood the "....." nuage. It would be great if you could do the half marathon but if your injury is still soft enough to appear, you´d better do the 9 km race.

Best of luck!

So far so good on the injury front but I've not exactly given the leg/calfs a tough test with my gentle 3-4 mile plods over the past few weeks. At the weekend, all being well, I'm planning a 6 miler to see in the new year, and to deliberately increase the pressure on the leg. If I get through that, I'll enter the Almeria Half. If it feels too delicate I may have to go for the shorter race. But I'm optimistic, without being complacent. Will update after the weekend.
El Gordo

30-12-2011, 10:21 AM,
Hi All

Still no word from Sweder regarding the hotel. Does this mean that we are now decided on the CostaSol? If so I will get a room booked for Cam and myself tonight.

Antonio is there a bus service running from the Airport to the Centre of town, otherwise I guess that we can get a taxi from the airport?

As far as restaurants go I am happy with the two that we visited last year, and they are both in easy walking distance from our hotel which is good.

Good luck with your 6 miler EG.

We had another runner coming this year Joan, but unfortunately her sister is ill so she has cancelled. Her flight is available if anyone wants to take it and pay the admin fee to change names.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
30-12-2011, 11:03 AM,
(30-12-2011, 10:21 AM)ladyrunner Wrote: Hi All

Still no word from Sweder regarding the hotel. Does this mean that we are now decided on the CostaSol? If so I will get a room booked for Cam and myself tonight.

Antonio is there a bus service running from the Airport to the Centre of town, otherwise I guess that we can get a taxi from the airport?

As far as restaurants go I am happy with the two that we visited last year, and they are both in easy walking distance from our hotel which is good.

We had another runner coming this year Joan, but unfortunately her sister is ill so she has cancelled. Her flight is available if anyone wants to take it and pay the admin fee to change names.

Julie Smile

I sent @sweder a message about this yesterday and he said he would "go with the flow", so I guess that gives the green light to the Costasol. Let's go ahead and book.
El Gordo

30-12-2011, 02:31 PM,
(30-12-2011, 11:03 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(30-12-2011, 10:21 AM)ladyrunner Wrote: Hi All

Julie Smile

I sent @sweder a message about this yesterday and he said he would "go with the flow", so I guess that gives the green light to the Costasol. Let's go ahead and book.

Yes, Julie, there´s a bus service to Almería every 30 minutes; I think. Anyway, I´ll probably be able to pick you up.

I´m sorry about Joan´s sister. Let´s hope she gets better as soon as possible.

Best of luck with your 5 miler, EG.

Saludos desde Almería

30-12-2011, 05:31 PM,
Thanks Antonio if you are able to give us a lift that will be great.

My hotel room is booked Smile CostaSol Euros 175.20 including B&B for 2 and taxes.

Julie
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
30-12-2011, 08:31 PM,
(30-12-2011, 05:31 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Thanks Antonio if you are able to give us a lift that will be great.

My hotel room is booked Smile CostaSol Euros 175.20 including B&B for 2 and taxes.

Julie

Yep, I'm in too. I think mine was 206 euros inc breakfast (for one) but I'm arriving on Friday evening, so am there a night longer than you.

Managed a reasonable 5.2 miles this evening. A bit slow -- in fact, very slow even by my miserable standards - but that wasn't really the test. Just wanted to up the distance a little. Funnily enough, my left calf (the one I had trouble with before) was no problem at all but I did feel some soreness in my right over the last mile. Might well be just normal end-of-run achiness though, rather than a sign of anything more serious. Hard not to get paranoid! Anyway, I still have my 6 miler scheduled for Sunday morning so that's the main test I've set myself. But at least I'm feeling a bit more confident than I was.
El Gordo

30-12-2011, 10:46 PM,
(30-12-2011, 08:31 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(30-12-2011, 05:31 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Thanks Antonio if you are able to give us a lift that will be great.

Julie

Yep, I'm in too. I think mine was 206 euros inc breakfast (for one) but I'm arriving on Friday evening, so am there a night longer than you.

Managed a reasonable 5.2 miles this evening. A bit slow -- in fact, very slow even by my miserable standards - but that wasn't really the test. Just wanted to up the distance a little. Funnily enough, my left calf (the one I had trouble with before) was no problem at all but I did feel some soreness in my right over the last mile. Might well be just normal end-of-run achiness though, rather than a sign of anything more serious. Hard not to get paranoid! Anyway, I still have my 6 miler scheduled for Sunday morning so that's the main test I've set myself. But at least I'm feeling a bit more confident than I was.

Well, it is positive that your left calf was no problem. Let´s hope that with some rest your right one is all right for the first day of 2012.

I´d like to give you a lift on Friday evening as well, EG. We´ll keep in touch by email to know the time your flight is arriving.

Good luck with your 6 miler on Sunday!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY! FELIZ AÑO NUEVO!

01-01-2012, 01:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2012, 01:06 AM by Sweder.)
Apologies for my late reply. I seem to be starting a lot of messages like that lately. Hmm.
Yes, yes and yes from me - thanks for doing the hotel leg work Julie, I'll book into today. I'll book a twin in case anyone else pops up at the last minute. The restaurants are both excellent.

Update: all booked in at the gaff plus entry accepted for the half. Not long to go is there? Blimey.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-01-2012, 06:17 PM,
(01-01-2012, 01:34 PM)Sweder Wrote: Update: all booked in at the gaff plus entry accepted for the half. Not long to go is there? Blimey.

Well done Sweder. I'm off down the seafront tonight for a slow 8 mile run with Tony's group. It's going to be very windy!!
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
13-01-2012, 12:37 PM,
Been a bit quiet here this year.
El Gordo

13-01-2012, 11:12 PM,
(13-01-2012, 12:37 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Been a bit quiet here this year.

The lull before the storm maybe?? Two weeks tomorrow ....... ExclamationBig Grin
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
13-01-2012, 11:56 PM,
(13-01-2012, 11:12 PM)ladyrunner Wrote:
(13-01-2012, 12:37 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Been a bit quiet here this year.

The lull before the storm maybe?? Two weeks tomorrow ....... ExclamationBig Grin

Hope so Julie, but not sure where the storm will be coming from! Looks like it might be a bit restrained this year. Not necessarily a bad thing, as I'm still on the wagon, and the less temptation the better. I see Sweder has committed to breaking his fast after the race, but I'm not yet certain I'll be doing the same. We'll see.

How's the running?

El Gordo

14-01-2012, 12:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 14-01-2012, 12:29 AM by Sweder.)
Funny you should say that ... I was just thinking that a month on the wagon may not be enough. Whilst I'll certainly raise a glass of beer in the hotel bar on the Sunday (and a glass or two of tasty Rioja over a late lunch), perhaps even have a bash at drinking Molly's dry of Guinness, I can see myself heading back to Abstention Island in the days that follow.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-01-2012, 09:54 AM,
Weirdos

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,584 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon Antonio247 96 58,618 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 28,039 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria 2010 El Gordo 191 157,824 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Almería half marathon 2009 Antonio247 245 159,669 13-02-2009, 08:11 PM
  Almeria Half 2008 - last weekend in January El Gordo 93 66,717 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo