Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads)
14-01-2012, 05:07 PM,
RE: Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads)
I´m afraid that at Molly Malone´s ( now known as Burana ) won´t be very happy with this new attitude but I think it will be very good for your health.

Saludos desde Almería

17-01-2012, 12:35 PM,
This is a link to a description of the Almería half marathon course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcc2c7w-7L0&feature=youtu.be

Saludos desde Almería

19-01-2012, 10:01 PM,
In case anyone that is coming to Almería half or 9 km race hasn´t entered yet, let me remind you that the last day to do this is next Monday before 1 pm.

Looking forward to meeting you next week.

19-01-2012, 10:29 PM,
Thanks for the info Antonio. I'd better make a decision soon then....

Just got your email by the way, and will reply tomorrow, as I must get to bed now. Cheers. EG
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-01-2012, 12:02 PM,
Just watched the YouTube clip fo the 2012 route. Can't say I'm looking forward to what looks like a bizarre, convoluted circuit.
Only one visit the La Rambla, no long flat section along the seafront ... hmm, change. We fear change. And double-backs.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-01-2012, 12:28 PM,
(21-01-2012, 12:02 PM)Sweder Wrote: Just watched the YouTube clip fo the 2012 route. Can't say I'm looking forward to what looks like a bizarre, convoluted circuit.
Only one visit the La Rambla, no long flat section along the seafront ... hmm, change. We fear change. And double-backs.

Glad you've confirmed it wasn't me going mad. I also checked the route the other day and couldn't work out what was going on. Could be Hutber's Law in operation -- "Improvements invariably make things worse". But better give it a try first before drawing conclusions.
El Gordo

21-01-2012, 12:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-01-2012, 12:54 PM by Antonio247.)
(21-01-2012, 12:28 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(21-01-2012, 12:02 PM)Sweder Wrote: Just watched the YouTube clip fo the 2012 route. Can't say I'm looking forward to what looks like a bizarre, convoluted circuit.

Glad you've confirmed it wasn't me going mad. I also checked the route the other day and couldn't work out what was going on. Could be Hutber's Law in operation -- "Improvements invariably make things worse". But better give it a try first before drawing conclusions.

I think that the course is the same one as last year. The first part a bit boring but the second part is along the Rambla and back towards the sea promenade to go up towards the stadium. By the way, this morning I went for a run along the sea front and it was a wonderful sunny morning.

Saludos desde Almería

21-01-2012, 02:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-01-2012, 02:17 PM by Sweder.)
(21-01-2012, 12:46 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I think that the course is the same one as last year. The first part a bit boring but the second part is along the Rambla and back towards the sea promenade to go up towards the stadium.

Quite possibly. I'm afraid I can't remember the 2011 course too well. There were so many twists and turns, it reminded me of the Brighton half, weaving through the city, doubling back on itself in various places. Rather like the Reading half this route takes us close to the stadium way before the finish. It shouldn't make any difference I know but somehow I find that a bit demoralising.

21-01-2012, 02:29 PM,
(21-01-2012, 02:11 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(21-01-2012, 12:46 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I think that the course is the same one as last year. The first part a bit boring but the second part is along the Rambla and back towards the sea promenade to go up towards the stadium.

Quite possibly. I'm afraid I can't remember the 2011 course too well. There were so many twists and turns, it reminded me of the Brighton half, weaving through the city, doubling back on itself in various places. Rather like the Reading half this route takes us close to the stadium way before the finish. It shouldn't make any difference I know but somehow I find that a bit demoralising.

I agree with you,S. It is demoralising to be so near the stadium - km 8 - and then have to go to the city centre to come back and go up to the stadium again.

22-01-2012, 10:56 AM,
I'm having trouble registering for the 9km. Am completing the form, hitting the Submit button, but not getting any further. Anyone else have this trouble?
El Gordo

22-01-2012, 01:06 PM,
Nope. Perhaps Antonio might have a go for you? Probably a small item missed on the form. Did you do all the 'are you in the forces/ are you a paramedic' bit?

22-01-2012, 03:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012, 03:34 PM by El Gordo.)
(22-01-2012, 01:06 PM)Sweder Wrote: Nope. Perhaps Antonio might have a go for you? Probably a small item missed on the form. Did you do all the 'are you in the forces/ are you a paramedic' bit?

Hmm - can't see those questions. Maybe they are presuming only kiddies and pensioners will be entering the 9km "Healthy" race.

But yes - I have asked Antonio for assistance, thanks.

Edited - Antonio has helped me out, and I am in. Apparently I "didn't have enough digits in my post code". Ooops, Sorry Espana -- I will let Switzerland know they are doing in wrong! But anyway -- to use two words that I suspect I will be repeating many times next weekend -- "Thanks Antonio".
El Gordo

23-01-2012, 09:27 PM,
(22-01-2012, 03:06 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(22-01-2012, 01:06 PM)Sweder Wrote: Nope. Perhaps Antonio might have a go for you? Probably a small item missed on the form. Did you do all the 'are you in the forces/ are you a paramedic' bit?

Hmm - can't see those questions. Maybe they are presuming only kiddies and pensioners will be entering the 9km "Healthy" race.

But yes - I have asked Antonio for assistance, thanks.

Edited - Antonio has helped me out, and I am in. Apparently I "didn't have enough digits in my post code". Ooops, Sorry Espana -- I will let Switzerland know they are doing in wrong! But anyway -- to use two words that I suspect I will be repeating many times next weekend -- "Thanks Antonio".

It´s a pleasure, EG. The problem was that postcodes in Spain have five digits and telephone numbers nine digits. Then, the system doesn´t admit other combinations. Spain is different.

26-01-2012, 08:22 PM,
For the record, I feel pretty terrible.

Went to the gym last Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday and had good sessions with no niggles. Wednesday morning, at work, calf just suddenly started hurting and is still doing so. Today, back started aching for no discernible reason. Best hope - and reason I'm not yet panicking - is that there are 2.5 days before Sun morning, so all might be OK again by then.

Also, it's 21:20, I've not started packing yet, and I have to sleep and then get down the hill to be on the 04:51 train.

Laters.....
El Gordo

26-01-2012, 09:58 PM,
Safe travels amigo. I pick LR & Moylebird up at 04:15 Saturday. Get the coffee on there's a good fellow. Fingers crossed for your ailments.

27-01-2012, 03:57 AM,
All the best for Almeria everyone! Looking forward to the usual brilliant race/rehydration reports... :-)
Run. Just run.
27-01-2012, 04:04 AM,
04:56, and on the train for the Flughafen. Right calf painful but I have my massage stick with me, so who knows. Also have meine Deutsche Buchen or whatever it is with me so if the running is a washout atleast I can do.something constructive. Oder konstruktiv. And that was a weary guess, before SP reaches for Google Translate.

Sehen sie Samstag. Bon voyage.
El Gordo

27-01-2012, 02:43 PM,
Best of luck to everyone in Almeria this weekend! No matter what, it is always fun. Wish I was there with you.

Suzie
27-01-2012, 06:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012, 06:49 PM by El Gordo.)
Arrived Almeria
Arrived later than scheduled in Almeria, at about 3pm, after a delayed departure from Zurich and a missed connection at Madrid. Antonio was on hand to soothe my fevered brow - figuratively speaking of course. We drove some of the new medio marathon route, then stopped off at a rather elegant café for a coffee and a natter.

Have checked in at the hotel which is OK, if a bit draughty. The hermetically sealed apartments and offices of Switzerland have reduced my immunity to this sort of thing. Not bad though, and free WiFi. Just about to see if the restaurant is open. A decent salad could be just the thing. After my 03:30 alarm, I am fading fast, and probably won't be attaching my dancing shoes tonight, preferring instead a snoozy evening with Watford-Spurs on the web. Talking of which (Sweder) I'll be tuning into to QPR-Chelsea at 1300 Saturday, followed by second half of Liverpool - ManU if you are around by then.

Leg? Still gently aching in a "don't you dare" sort of way. Had the foresight to bring my "Stick" which I know will help. But can it actually get me to the 9km start line? Don't know yet. Will see what another 36 hours of rest will do.

El Gordo

27-01-2012, 06:48 PM,
(27-01-2012, 02:43 PM)suzieq Wrote: Best of luck to everyone in Almeria this weekend! No matter what, it is always fun. Wish I was there with you.

Suzie

You're with us in spirit, Suzie.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,584 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon Antonio247 96 58,620 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 28,039 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria 2010 El Gordo 191 157,824 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Almería half marathon 2009 Antonio247 245 159,669 13-02-2009, 08:11 PM
  Almeria Half 2008 - last weekend in January El Gordo 93 66,718 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo