Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads)
27-01-2012, 08:50 PM,
RE: Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads)

Gracias, Suzie. We´ll miss you a lot.

Saludos desde Almería

(27-01-2012, 06:48 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(27-01-2012, 02:43 PM)suzieq Wrote: Best of luck to everyone in Almeria this weekend! No matter what, it is always fun. Wish I was there with you.

Suzie

You're with us in spirit, Suzie.

27-01-2012, 08:53 PM,
RE: Arrived Almeria
(27-01-2012, 06:25 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Arrived later than scheduled in Almeria, at about 3pm, after a delayed departure from Zurich and a missed connection at Madrid. Antonio was on hand to soothe my fevered brow - figuratively speaking of course. We drove some of the new medio marathon route, then stopped off at a rather elegant café for a coffee and a natter.

Have checked in at the hotel which is OK, if a bit draughty. The hermetically sealed apartments and offices of Switzerland have reduced my immunity to this sort of thing. Not bad though, and free WiFi. Just about to see if the restaurant is open. A decent salad could be just the thing. After my 03:30 alarm, I am fading fast, and probably won't be attaching my dancing shoes tonight, preferring instead a snoozy evening with Watford-Spurs on the web. Talking of which (Sweder) I'll be tuning into to QPR-Chelsea at 1300 Saturday, followed by second half of Liverpool - ManU if you are around by then.

Leg? Still gently aching in a "don't you dare" sort of way. Had the foresight to bring my "Stick" which I know will help. But can it actually get me to the 9km start line? Don't know yet. Will see what another 36 hours of rest will do.

It was great to meet you at the airport, have a cup of coffee at "La Dulce Alianza" Café by the sea front and chat about healthy life, races, injuries, work, mates, etc.

27-01-2012, 08:54 PM,
Hey Antonio, are you aiming for sub-2hrs this year?
Run. Just run.
27-01-2012, 09:44 PM,
(27-01-2012, 08:54 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Hey Antonio, are you aiming for sub-2hrs this year?

Hola, MLCM.

I don´t think I´m fit enough to manage to do a sub 2 hours. Although I´m training quite a lot and going for a run an average of five days a week, I need to lose more weight and train faster at least one day a week. So, I´d be very glad if I could do the half marathon under two hours ten minutes.

Best of luck, amigo!

27-01-2012, 09:48 PM,
(27-01-2012, 08:54 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Hey Antonio, are you aiming for sub-2hrs this year?

Dear friends!
I am happy to know that you maintain the old traditions, coming from England and Swiss to the wonderful HM of Almeria! I send to you all my best whises to you during the running (I am sure that this is really easy to you), therefore, I send all of you all my best whises to you for something more difficult, that means the hydration process after the race! Please, do all our best! You are prepared and you compose the best team!
Hope you have a wonderful trip! Hope to meet you again! I will have you in my mind: Antonio, Andy, Sweder, and my dearest golfplayer!
I am waiting for your report!
Kisses,
Ana
Ana Smile
27-01-2012, 09:49 PM,
(27-01-2012, 09:44 PM)anlu247 Wrote: ... So, I´d be very glad if I could do the half marathon under two hours ten minutes.

Well that's getting close Antonio, it won't be long! Best of luck. I'm sure that sub-2 half can't be far away. Wink
Run. Just run.
27-01-2012, 09:50 PM,
(27-01-2012, 09:48 PM)Ana Wrote: Dear friends!
I am happy to know that you maintain the old traditions, coming from England and Swiss to the wonderful HM of Almeria! I send to you all my best whises to you during the running (I am sure that this is really easy to you), therefore, I send all of you all my best whises to you for something more difficult, that means the hydration process after the race! Please, do all our best! You are prepared and you compose the best team!
Hope you have a wonderful trip! Hope to meet you again! I will have you in my mind: Antonio, Andy, Sweder, and my dearest golfplayer!
Kisses,
Ana

Ana!!

Welcome back! Where have you been???!!
Run. Just run.
27-01-2012, 10:03 PM,
(27-01-2012, 09:49 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(27-01-2012, 09:44 PM)anlu247 Wrote: ... So, I´d be very glad if I could do the half marathon under two hours ten minutes.

Well that's getting close Antonio, it won't be long! Best of luck. I'm sure that sub-2 half can't be far away. Wink

Muchas gracias, MLCM! I´ll try to follow your path.

27-01-2012, 10:06 PM,
(27-01-2012, 09:50 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
Kisses,
Ana

Ana!!

Hola, Ana

It´s great to hear from you. We´re looking forward to seeing you all again and do the 9 km at least. By the way, happy birthday! It must be one of these days.

Saludos desde Almería

27-01-2012, 10:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012, 10:25 PM by El Gordo.)
Kisses,
Ana

Hola Ana -- Splendid to hear from you. I have sometimes wondered what happened to you. And I still don't know....

Keep in touch, and maybe one day you'll make it back down to Almeria to assist the rehydration process, which I am glad to see you have retained your keen interest in.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-01-2012, 10:25 PM,
(27-01-2012, 09:50 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
Kisses,
Ana
Mhmmm, I was not running at all, and I am quite busy working too much! Plenty of wonderful things have passed, anyway!
Even if this is no down under, I am very happy!
Antonio, tomorrow is my birthday and I hope to celebrate this day another year whithin you and running the 9! That year MLCM must also take the plane for visiting the historical part of the world, countries with long traditions in beer and wine...
Best of luck to the RC team tomorrow! Mind your step in the invisible start line!

Ana!!

Ana Smile
28-01-2012, 09:18 AM,
"Stick" which I know will help. But can it actually get me to the 9km start line? Don't know yet. Will see what another 36 hours of rest will do.

[/quote]

Nice picks! You looks both in form! Best of luck for the race and enjoy!
Ana Smile
28-01-2012, 11:58 AM,
Gracias, Ana.

¡Feliz cumpleaños! Happy birthday!

Saludos desde Almería

(28-01-2012, 09:18 AM)Ana Wrote: "Stick" which I know will help. But can it actually get me to the 9km start line? Don't know yet. Will see what another 36 hours of rest will do.

Nice picks! You looks both in form! Best of luck for the race and enjoy!
[/quote]

10-10-2012, 06:00 AM,
Almeria 2013
After going missing for a few years and running slower than ever I've decided to run in Almeria next year. At least if I can't enjoy my race time I can relax and enjoy the tapas. Is the Tryp Indalo still the hotel of choice?
10-10-2012, 11:09 AM,
RE: Almeria 2013
I can see a few wrinkled brows (or more than the usual age-related ones) here.

Anyway Steve -- ooops -- welcome. I'm going to merge this with the existing Almeria thread.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM,
Steve! Great to hear from you. Are you bringing anyone or is it just your bad self?
We left the cozy bosom of the Tryp Indalo this year. Better location (er, next door to Molly's) but perhaps not quite what we were looking for, so that's still an open question.

I've booked my Easyjet flights (out Sat am, back Tues am).
Julie & Cam plan to go, might get one or two more along.

Welcome aboard!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-10-2012, 02:08 PM,
(10-10-2012, 06:00 AM)Essexrunner Wrote: After going missing for a few years and running slower than ever I've decided to run in Almeria next year. At least if I can't enjoy my race time I can relax and enjoy the tapas. Is the Tryp Indalo still the hotel of choice?

Welcome, Steve. It will be wondeful to meet you again. Don't worry about your speed. You'll probably go faster than me. It would be great if Tim and Terry could join you as well.

Another hotel in the city centre could be Citymar Gran hotel Almería just opposite La Tagliatella restaurant at the beginning of La Rambla. Another one, AC hotel Almería by Marriot, at Plaza Flores. The first hotel where the RC team stayed in 2005. Another one, a bit farther, could be NH Ciudad de Almería, just opposite the railway station, just 10 minutes´ walk from Molly Mallone.

Saludos desde Almería

10-10-2012, 08:32 PM,
Thanks for those, Antonio. We can all check these out in the web. NH tend to be good value and of a reasonable standard. I'll look into rates on Hotels.com and see what's on offer.

11-10-2012, 06:31 AM,
The NH seems hard to beat.
4 star hotel, given 4.7/ 5 rating by Hotels.com customers and 4/5 on Trip Advisor.
Cost for one room with 2 adults is £40 per night - £120 for the stay (£60 per person sharing).
Positives include central location, modern fittings and amenities.
Negatives: it's a big, ugly, square thing with all the charm of an office block.

The CityMar Grand (the one next to the fountains at the foot of las Ramblas) is a bit more expensive at £133 for the three nights BUT Hotels.com are offering an early bird discount if we book now, taking the rate below the NH to £115.
This is an older hotel but the location is top notch, being close to the beach but still R&R in town.
It is also 4 star, but customer ratings are slightly lower. The difference appears to be age of property and service standard.

Take a look, post some thoughts or other suggestions and let's get booked in.

11-10-2012, 04:34 PM,
Hi all and welcome back to the team Steve.

We have booked our flights (Cam, Gill, Marian and Myself).

Cam and myself have had some discussions about hotels. We liked the location of the CostaSol but preferred the breakfast at the Tryp Indalo ... but decided that a good breakfast is what would top our decision. Sorry but the hard toasted baguettes of last year were not appropriate fuel for a half marathon ..... or a post race hangover!!

So we need to find a cheapish hotel with a good breakfast buffet if possible or a breakfast cafe very close by.

Also what are peoples thoughts about hiring a car .... or two? We have talked about getting a small economical car between us girls so that we can drive out somewhere on Monday. Easyjet Cars are offering Fiat Polos for approx £25 a day which is very cheap between 3 or 4 people. Depending on where our hotel is situated a car could come in handy for Saturday afternoon/evening and getting to and from the race too. Plus if there are bigger numbers going this year so we need transport to and from the airport.

Simon and Mike B are considering coming also. It will be good to have Simon back on the team again and he is very keen now that the travelling has been cut down.

Julie Smile

Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,585 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon Antonio247 96 58,626 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 28,040 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria 2010 El Gordo 191 157,825 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Almería half marathon 2009 Antonio247 245 159,672 13-02-2009, 08:11 PM
  Almeria Half 2008 - last weekend in January El Gordo 93 66,722 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo