Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decisive December
30-11-2010, 08:31 AM,
Decisive December
So decisive that it started two days early.

Dust off the gloves and the tracksters! Break out the water and raisins! Create a new tab on the spreadsheet! Put Eye of the Tiger on the stereo as we lace up the Asics! (I really did that .)

For today begins... the Marathon Campaign!

Yes, it's that time of year again. The Mighty Hal has decreed that this shall be the week to Get Out There Again and get some miles in the bank. The goal for December is, as always, just to get back into the habit of running three times a week, in preparation for mileage ramp-up ofter Christmas.

I'd been mentally building up to this for several weeks. But in the end it was an unremarkable, workaday three mile plod that kicked off the annual pilgrimage to the marathon start line. I'm pleased to report that there were no niggles, and everything seemed to be working smoothly. Thoughts turned to the daunting mileage increases ahead, but I've followed this path many times now and know that the slow, steady build will eventually yield results.

I'm looking forward to it.
30-11-2010, 12:28 PM,
RE: Decisive December
Go for it Dan. The anticipation and opportunity for detailed planning must be a good feeling Smile

What's the target this year? Crazy costume or time?
30-11-2010, 01:48 PM,
Excellent news! A good prelude to Janathon for our intrepid and most consistent marathoner. No chance of a guest appearance in Almeria I suppose? Just a thought.

I too shall don the gear a little more frequently in December. Planning an icy 10k plod with an old friend (newly addicted to this running lark) across the Amsterdam flatlands tomorrow afternoon. It shall be bitter cold but I can't wait Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-11-2010, 01:55 PM,
(30-11-2010, 12:28 PM)glaconman Wrote: What's the target this year? Crazy costume or time?

I'm afraid it's the Krazy Kostume again, serious running fans.

I'm going to run for Cancer Research this time. I asked my mate who is suffering from pancreatic cancer to come up with an idea, as bonkers as possible. He came up with a giant stick of rock (a slight Brighton theme). I'm hoping to gaffer tape a couple of these together, cut some arm and head holes, and spray it pink. I have a hankering to be the most ridiculous-looking person there. Would also like to finish sub 5.
30-11-2010, 02:18 PM,
(30-11-2010, 01:48 PM)Sweder Wrote: Excellent news! A good prelude to Janathon for our intrepid and most consistent marathoner. No chance of a guest appearance in Almeria I suppose? Just a thought.

Tempting, but I think a solo weekend overseas is out of the question for a while. And a family trip is similarly unlikely during term-time. One day, maybe...

(30-11-2010, 01:48 PM)Sweder Wrote: I too shall don the gear a little more frequently in December.

Excellent; I look forward to some despatches from the Downs.

(30-11-2010, 01:48 PM)Sweder Wrote: Planning an icy 10k plod with an old friend (newly addicted to this running lark) across the Amsterdam flatlands tomorrow afternoon. It shall be bitter cold but I can't wait Smile

Sounds good. A crisp Amstel and a cheese toastie for recovery?
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2010, 10:20 AM by stillwaddler.)
wow...does this mean you will have Brighton written all the way through;-) I'm really confused now 'though, because I thought my Hal marathon campaign was due to start next week...well that's what I worked it out as??? 16 weeks before the big day?? I expect I'll be able to see you this year MD, you should be "sticking" out a mile.
Phew this is hard work !
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM,
(30-11-2010, 02:18 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(30-11-2010, 01:48 PM)Sweder Wrote: Planning an icy 10k plod with an old friend (newly addicted to this running lark) across the Amsterdam flatlands tomorrow afternoon. It shall be bitter cold but I can't wait Smile

Sounds good. A crisp Amstel and a cheese toastie for recovery?

Almost. I'll take a Bavaria Bockbier (or if I can find one, a Hooge Bock). 6.5% abv, roasted flavour, warms the cockles! Heard a lovely drinkers' quote today:
'Absinthe makes the smart go wander' Big Grin

Looks like Amsterdam Bos is frozen off so will take route along the Amstel. So, a riverside run. That won't be cold at all then.

01-12-2010, 12:30 PM,
(01-12-2010, 10:08 AM)stillwaddler Wrote: wow...does this mean you will have Brighton written all the way through;-) I'm really confused now 'though, because I thought my Hal marathon campaign was due to start next week...well that's what I worked it out as??? 16 weeks before the big day?? I expect I'll be able to see you this year MD, you should be "sticking" out a mile.

The "Brighton written all the way through" is slightly a real issue - will people actually get it, or will they think I'm dressed as a barber's pole? Anyway, that's something to think about in a couple of months time.

The plan I'm using (Novice 1) (I see he has now added an "Advanced Novice" or Novice 2) is 18 weeks. But I have also added a Week 0 at the start to get me slightly limbered up.

Would be good to meet up beforehand this time, now we are veterans of the race (having run in every edition Smile) and we know what's what.
01-12-2010, 12:45 PM,
(01-12-2010, 10:36 AM)Sweder Wrote: Almost. I'll take a Bavaria Bockbier (or if I can find one, a Hooge Bock). 6.5% abv, roasted flavour, warms the cockles! Heard a lovely drinkers' quote today:
'Absinthe makes the smart go wander' Big Grin

Looks like Amsterdam Bos is frozen off so will take route along the Amstel. So, a riverside run. That won't be cold at all then.

Big Grin

I think yer cockles might be in danger of disappearing altogether...
06-12-2010, 09:50 PM,
(30-11-2010, 01:55 PM)marathondan Wrote: I'm going to run for Cancer Research this time. I asked my mate who is suffering from pancreatic cancer to come up with an idea, as bonkers as possible. He came up with a giant stick of rock (a slight Brighton theme). I'm hoping to gaffer tape a couple of these together, cut some arm and head holes, and spray it pink. I have a hankering to be the most ridiculous-looking person there. Would also like to finish sub 5.

Sound like a good plan MD. What about finishing the stick of rock off with the see through polythene wrapping - that way you could stay dry if it rains and you wouldn't be mistaken for a barber's pole.

It sounds like you could be starring in the Argus newpaper's photo display again!!

Julie Big Grin Big Grin
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
13-12-2010, 08:30 PM,
Regular readers may know that I am slightly obsessed with RSS feeds. Apart from service sites like Amazon, the majority of my internet experience is conducted through this medium. Now I've noticed that at least one of my fellow Janathoners is earnestly pre-subscribing to all of the Janathon feeds. Except mine of course: our forum software doesn't support syndication of new posts, only new threads. So if I want anyone outside of the normal* forum members to read my Janathon posts, I'm going to have to hand-code a feed. Which is what I've done.

The link is here: marathondan's RSS feed

If RSS is your thing, please give it a try and let me know if there are any problems with it. Smile

---------------
* this term is used with caution
13-12-2010, 10:51 PM,
RSS. Is that like the old RS Cosworth?
I like the 'idea' of these 'feeds' but have never got to grips with how it all works. Do they come to you via an e-mail link or appear in your web browser?

I know ... I'll get me Luddite Hi Vis jacket ... Sad

14-12-2010, 10:30 AM,
Quote:If RSS is your thing, please give it a try and let me know if there are any problems with it. Smile

Hi Dan,

I'm having no trouble reading your feed, and have included it in a 'Pipe' of all the Janathon feeds - you can find it here : http://pipes.yahoo.com/jules_lewis/janathon

As an RSS fan, you probably know more about pipes than me, but just in case, you can subscribe to the pipe as an RSS feed and get all the Janathon posts in one feed (including your own). Will make it a bit easier to keep up with people's blogging in January!

Good luck in Janathon!

Jules (@2011miles.com)
14-12-2010, 10:55 AM,
(13-12-2010, 10:51 PM)Sweder Wrote: RSS. Is that like the old RS Cosworth?
I like the 'idea' of these 'feeds' but have never got to grips with how it all works. Do they come to you via an e-mail link or appear in your web browser?

Actually it's sort of the opposite of an RS Cosworth. You get the content of the site, without all the fibreglass spoilers and oversized tailpipes that some people add to their sites for decoration.

You can view a feed directly in your browser to see what the content looks like (e.g. some bloke's feed here) but that isn't really the point. You need a feed reader to record which posts you've read, and to organise them all into one place.

I use Google Reader (for which you need a Google account). Then I just visit the Google Reader site and all of my 50+ subscriptions are there. I think you can use Firefox as a reader directly, and maybe the newer versions of IE too. There is definitely software that will send the feeds to your email, but I think you tend to have to pay for that.
14-12-2010, 11:03 AM,
(14-12-2010, 10:30 AM)jules_lewis Wrote: I'm having no trouble reading your feed, and have included it in a 'Pipe' of all the Janathon feeds - you can find it here : http://pipes.yahoo.com/jules_lewis/janathon

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the feedback, and the pipe link. I have also made my own pipe (using rssmix.com) but I think I might use yours as it seems appear a bit better in my reader. You might want to let Cathy @ Janathon know that you have done this so that it can be publicised - I suspect lots of other people are also doing something very similar!
20-12-2010, 10:16 PM,
3 weeks down
Just checking in with a quick update. 3 weeks (of 19) completed; one run missed due to Christmas hassles but apart from that all going OK.

In the last month or two I've noticed an occasional shooting pain in my right sole / ankle. After Sweder & Glaconman's recent comments about their problems with plantar fasciitis, I wondered if that was the cause. I soon realised that whatever it is is being exacerbated by the fact that I almost always run clockwise circuits, on the inside pavement. This means I'm more likely that not to be on a right-hand pavement, which generally has a right-to-left camber. This amplifies my naturally significant pronation on the right foot. I quickly found that just by stepping into the road, where the camber is reversed, or crossing onto the other pavement, the problem all but went away. If it is PF, that's pretty bad news when I'm just about to step up my mileage. But so far so good; I'm running all my routes in the reverse direction and it's limited to the occasional twinge only.

Last night I ventured out in the deep snow for 7 miles, the longest run of the campaign so far. Hopping across the frosted ruts was a good workout for the ankles; the right Achilles is a bit sore today. Pace was signficantly down on the usual, but given the conditions this was a very comfortable run and I'm feeling that I've achieved my main goal so far of getting back into the routine.
23-12-2010, 12:05 AM,
RE: 3 weeks down
Like you, I feel like I'm just getting back into the swing of things, and am happy turning over 30-35 miles a week, with a bit of an increase due in Jan (or else I haven't a chance with the 2011 miles challenge!) The first few weeks of marathon training are all about building an aerobic base anyway, aren't they? I doubt I'll do much pace/interval work until Feb at least (training for Shakespeare marathon in May).

Got any races lined up for 2011?

-j-
24-12-2010, 11:01 PM,
(23-12-2010, 12:05 AM)jules_lewis Wrote: Like you, I feel like I'm just getting back into the swing of things, and am happy turning over 30-35 miles a week, with a bit of an increase due in Jan (or else I haven't a chance with the 2011 miles challenge!) The first few weeks of marathon training are all about building an aerobic base anyway, aren't they? I doubt I'll do much pace/interval work until Feb at least (training for Shakespeare marathon in May).

Got any races lined up for 2011?

-j-

Um... 30-35 miles is more like my peak Blush

My training style is "less is more"... I've found that I can get away with 3 sessions a week, no cross-training to speak of, and put in a marathon performance I'm happy with. I'm heading for the Brighton Marathon in April, so I will start the quality sessions (pace and intervals) after Christmas. Which is, erm, next week. (Provided the pavements are clear - I've just come back from a gentle 3 miles, and the paths were pure evil.)

No other races lined up apart from that so far. I'm currently thinking I might get myself a bike and wetsuit in the New Year and aim for a triathlon in the summer.

Have you decided how much of the 2011 miles will be run and how much cycled?

There was an interesting project on this forum to log a year's miles onto a map of the UK and see who could get all the way from Land's End to John O'Groats. Unfortunately the mapping proved harder work than the running for most of us.

Happy Christmas!
24-12-2010, 11:53 PM,
(24-12-2010, 11:01 PM)marathondan Wrote: Have you decided how much of the 2011 miles will be run and how much cycled?

There was an interesting project on this forum to log a year's miles onto a map of the UK and see who could get all the way from Land's End to John O'Groats. Unfortunately the mapping proved harder work than the running for most of us.

Happy Christmas!

For me, I will be running the lot. My brother David is doing 50:50, and planning some long cycling events.

I've entered one marathon (Stratford-upon-Avon), and might do a second later in the year. I usually enter some of the Cornish league races, and have my first ten miler towards the end of Janathon...

I set up a '2011 miles in 2011' challenge on RunningFree (where we've got to log our Janathon miles), and I had the same problems mapping LEJoG (especially as it's there-and-back for me!). Instead I ended up mapping it as London to Athens, which seemed somehow appropriate!

You have a great Christmas too!

J
03-01-2011, 08:44 PM,
(24-12-2010, 11:53 PM)jules_lewis Wrote: For me, I will be running the lot.

Truly impressive. That's a hell of a lot of miles, mate. I'll follow your progress on the blog.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December - the road to London marathondan 18 23,486 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  December marathondan 22 21,054 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Last Post: El Gordo