Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future Starts Yesterday
02-10-2008, 01:06 PM,
Well my appointment at Wise Sam's Emporium was kept yesterday. I was dealt with by Mad Hair Man [SIZE="1"]TM[/SIZE], who covered the floor with different shoes to try before I opted for a pair of Brookes Glycerin 3's. This is my first venture away from Saucony, but the Brookes fitted a treat so we'll see.

A vague flicker of recognition on Sam's face was enough to earn me 10% discount so I spent that on some socks. Rolleyes

Parked up along the seafront near home. Tis my old haunt and now I realise I've missed it, missed it more than I could ever have imagined. I have pounded that seafront too many times to remember and it felt good to be back.

A racing westerly didn't help, but I knew all the distances and opted to stop after 1 1/4 miles, only walking at the turn to take a swig of water.

The road back to any sort of event distance will be long, and if the truth be told I've been meaning to start for a while now but needed the kick up the (ample) arse to begin. This was a joint run with C. She and I intend to help each other through these early painful runs, and although we both realise that the Brighton 10K is too far too soon, perhaps something late Jan/early Feb may happen. Smile
02-10-2008, 01:50 PM,
Yea! You're on the running road again. Kind of exciting isn't it? Take it slow and easy to start and you'll soon be back into the habit. Smile

Suzie
02-10-2008, 07:39 PM,
Good news about the shoes, SP but the attempted Brighton cop-out was not appreciated and frankly, will not be tolerated. :mad:
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM,
El Gordo Wrote:Good news about the shoes, SP but the attempted Brighton cop-out was not appreciated and frankly, will not be tolerated. :mad:

Amen to that, brother Gordo. Brighton 10 is the compulsory qualifier for Almeria 2009 (I've emailed Haile but apparently he's still knackered after yet another world record in Berlin).

Almeria's brewing up to be a bumper year Smile
Did I really say 'brewing'? Freudian slip . . . Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-10-2008, 06:36 PM,
Another painfully slow plod this evening. Exactly 1 mile but without the walk break at halfway. Again it wasn't pretty towards the end but I'm pleased.

The lower back was starting to ache too towards the end which I take to be a good sign. Back in 2002 when I first started this lark I dutifully logged each run I ever did leading up to the FLM, from the first tentative steps to the final 19 miler (Newhaven to Worthing with Sweder). Not just distance, but how I felt, what worked/didn't work etc. Having just re-read the early entries, I had exactly the same symptoms then. They'll pass, and when they do along will come others; I know that, but this time I'm prepared for them.

Planning another outing tomorrow! Eek
03-10-2008, 08:13 PM,
Good work fella.

Let me know when you're ready to sign up for BHTT 5k.
Even now you'd be nowhere near last.
Not even close.

[SIZE="1"]And there's a an excellent cafe at the finish[/SIZE]

03-10-2008, 10:36 PM,
Aye, jokes aside SP, I can't tell you how good it is to hear you're getting out there again. I don't know why it should be so affecting -- something linked to nostalgia, I imagine.

I too have been active. News to come over the weekend.

I should also mention that last night I entered the Brighton 10K Eek
El Gordo

05-10-2008, 08:46 PM,
Last night I found myself staying in a static caravan just outside Bognor Regis. Eek A town so crap that if you need to ask how bad it is, just imagine a windswept coastal wasteland infested with amusement arcades, fish & chip shops, confectionery stalls and care homes - oh and a Butlins - where even I reduced the average age of resident by 35 years. Imagine that and you may be close. Just maybe.

I took the car out from the chez "Savannah" (yes really) to measure half a mile, thinking that if I did that twice, I'd match the previous evening's plod. Bugger me if I didn't run it thrice.

Now I recognise that most here would spit on that distance, hey even The Great El G recently plodded twice that distance after a few month's lay-off, but I'm pleased. Suzie mentioned earlier in this thread that I should take things slow and easy to start with and she's right, yet I know it won't be long before I'll feel the need to start cranking up the distances a tad, and I'm looking forward to it.

At the moment I'm still en tab too, but I've a tennis club beer-soaked quiz and curry fest this coming Friday, followed by a 70's theme party on Saturday (Sweder would you mind awfully if I rummaged through your wardrobe Big Grin ), but on Sunday, the future starts....again.

For the first time in too long I've tasted that endorphin enduced post run feeling, and I like it. I like it a lot.

[SIZE="1"]p.s. Boss, whilst I appreciate you bumping my forum TTT, would you mind awfully taking the "resting" off my name - I feel such a charlatan with it there.[/SIZE]
05-10-2008, 09:33 PM,
Nice one, SP. No need to explain why you find yourself living in a caravan outside Bognor. I know that times are hard for IFAs these days.

Well done on the progress. Joking aside, best to retrace the steps of the novice, which is to aim for 30 mins continuous running or 3 miles, whichever is shorter. That's regarded as a good springboard to the next step -- which I hope might be Almeria. I'm pretty sure the Almeria Half is a realistic target for someone who's been down the plodding trail before, albeit a while ago. Nearer the time, if you don't feel up to it, remember they do a 10K these days (even if it is actually 13K Eek).

Though a bit like me and Boston, it might be best not to think too far ahead, but just concentrate on getting a few miles under the belt and build up a bit of endurance. That's my only aim at this stage.

Good luck.
El Gordo

06-10-2008, 04:26 AM,
I had an aged and highly respected aunt who lived in Bognor Regis. She was in fact the last survivor of her generation and a much revered member of the family. Until she died earlier this year well into her 90s, she was always rabbiting on in her plummy (we would call it "North Shore") accent about how delightful Bognor was and how I should visit her there.

I suspect now she may have been fibbing Eek.

SP, you have utterly destroyed my impression of the place and undermined my respect for my aunt. Sad

In short, it's great to see things returning to normal around here! Smile
Run. Just run.
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:followed by a 70's theme party on Saturday (Sweder would you mind awfully if I rummaged through your wardrobe Big Grin )

Not at all old bean.
I'll also lend you use of my tailor should you find it necessary to let any of the flared jeans out a little Wink

Good work fella. Any time you fancy a plod over this way let me know. I'm out most mornings just now and I'm very, very rusty. The Jog Shop Plodders have kicked off on Sunday mornings to. It's Wire only this month, with options on 10 and 12K rambles.

06-10-2008, 11:58 AM,
Brilliant to hear you are back pounding the prom, the mileage will be racking up soon, take it steady 'though.
Phew this is hard work !
08-10-2008, 09:13 AM,
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm really enjoying getting out there again. It's been too long.

Out again last night for the same route. 1 1/2 miles, howling wind, coasting one way, running through treacle the other...sameole sameole.

Just heard the rather galling news that my smug training partner covered 2 1/2 miles last night around her manor, so it looks like I'll have to crank things up at the weekend. Eek

Have pencilled in a short longee for Sunday.Big Grin
14-10-2008, 12:00 PM,
:mad: No running from me over the last few days and no real prospect of any for the next few either.

I'm snowed under with work at the mo, compounded by our servers deciding to simultaneously commit suicide.

I do rather wonder though whether teckies actually live in the same world as the rest of us. Here is an extract from a totally incomprehensible email from one or my teckies. I'm sure he believes he's explaining things but I'm buggered if I can understand it Confused

Due to a drive failure we are required to take the mailserver offline this evening in order to install a replacement.

The mailserver has been running slow over the last 24 hours as a "hot spare" replacement drive had automatically taken over the role of the failed drive and has been rebuilding the drive array on the fly, which has meant....
etc...zzzzzzzzzz

Hopefully some better news to report after a couple of mad days playing catch-up.

Well done to all JSJer's and Happy Birthday to Antonio, belated to MLCM, who'll be delighted to know that he's exactly 24 days younger than me.
14-10-2008, 12:09 PM,
[quote=Seafront Plodder]
Due to a drive failure we are required to take the mailserver offline this evening in order to install a replacement.

The mailserver has been running slow over the last 24 hours as a "hot spare" replacement drive had automatically taken over the role of the failed drive and has been rebuilding the drive array on the fly, which has meant....quote]

At last, an SP post that makes perfect sense for a change.... Big Grin
El Gordo

14-10-2008, 12:23 PM,
I've found that when all esle fails a good-sized claw-hammer - or in your case a four-iron - should do the trick. Just be careful with that backswing Big Grin

14-10-2008, 09:00 PM,
Sounds like no-one's been keeping the dual-redundant drive's database up to date: this sort of thing happens all the time - causes no end of grief at my work too. One day someone in the IT department will send an email that actually makes sense, along the lines of "Email will be out of action later today for a few hours while we repair one of the main machines that's a bit buggered" and we'll all die of shock.
Run. Just run.
14-10-2008, 09:02 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I've found that when all esle fails a good-sized claw-hammer - or in your case a four-iron - should do the trick. Just be careful with that backswing Big Grin

Bit drastic isn't it Sweder? I mean, just because the poor bloke can't write an intelligible email?

Smile
Run. Just run.
15-10-2008, 07:29 AM,
Вне для хитроумного бега last night. Полностью непредвидено но как раз виды решено внезапно. Довольный я сделал и почувствовал действительно «Пинг» весь вечер. Наблюдал, как несколько пленки съели салат и вещество. Управил домой очень поздно на ноче и окончательно утонуто в кровать на £am, только для того чтобы найти то которое задница Sweder послала мной текстом который проспал я вверх снова. Какой wanker!. Не обращайте внимания вы не будете прочитать это сообщение так или иначе.

Dammit if you arn't right MLC. Eek
15-10-2008, 07:31 AM,
:RFLMAO: Just translated it meself!!

Outside for the crafty run of last of night. Completely [nepredvideno] but exactly forms is solved suddenly. I made contented and felt actually “[Ping]” entire evening. It observed, as several film ate lettuce and substance. It governed home very late on the night and it is finally sunk into the bed to 3am, only in order to find the which backside Of sweder sent by me by text which it overslept I upward again. What of wanker!. Never mind you will not give this communication one way or another. :RFLMAO: