Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future Starts Yesterday
10-12-2008, 01:06 AM,
I jumped to my feet, completely thunderstruck. I blinked my eyes hard. I looked carefully all around me. And I saw a most extraordinary small person, who stood there examining me with great seriousness. Here you may see the best portrait that, later, I was able to make of him.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1943 The Little Prince

Antione was born in Lyons, France. He took his first flight at the age of eleven, and became a pilot at twenty-six. He was a pioneer of international commercial aviation and flew in the Spanish Civil War and World War II. His writings include The Little Prince; Wind, Sand and Stars; and Southern Mail.

In 1944, while serving with his French air squadron, he disappeared during a reconnaissance flight over the Mediterranean. A tragic loss.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-12-2008, 09:14 AM,
Oh. :o
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-12-2008, 04:19 PM,
One of my all time favourite books
Phew this is hard work !
12-12-2008, 10:45 AM,
El Gordo Wrote:Just wonderful. Why can't I write like this?

Oh I think you can.
Run. Just run.
18-12-2008, 01:15 PM,
Just a quick update to say that there's nothing to update. :o

Still plodding around the 2 1/2 mile mark but even those are sporadic at best. Just can't seem to get my ample-but-still-reducing arse in gear.

That's not been helped by my "special friend" Claire's announcement that she won't be able to keep up with the training and therefore won't be running. She'll still be there though to join Mrs Sweder as Chief Cheerleaders/Executive Guinness Obtainers (delete as appropriate). Eek

El Gordo on Antonio's blog Wrote:If I can beat both you and SP this time, the zumo de naranja will be on me Big Grin.

For my part it's as good as done mate. I'll slip a vodka in yours though.
18-12-2008, 07:41 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Just a quick update to say that there's nothing to update. :o

Still plodding around the 2 1/2 mile mark but even those are sporadic at best. Just can't seem to get my ample-but-still-reducing arse in gear.

That's not been helped by my "special friend" Claire's announcement that she won't be able to keep up with the training and therefore won't be running. She'll still be there though to join Mrs Sweder as Chief Cheerleaders/Executive Guinness Obtainers (delete as appropriate). Eek

No worries old chap, it happens. Or doesn't. You're still up for the 10K I hope?
El Gordo

23-12-2008, 11:50 AM,
Must have felt especially lithesome t'other day for I actually stepped on some bathroom scales, and let me tell you I was rather surprised.

I've not done anything that could be considered dieting, yet since the height of my lardiness I've managed to lose around 23 lbs. Eek I say 'around', 'cos I've never been one to get too anal about weight (Sorry El G :o ), preferring instead to judge things by how much energy I've got or how tight/loose the old belt is.

Still, not really complaining and it does bode well for the continuation of my erratic training campaign for Almeria, which will begin in ernest in January.....probably.
23-12-2008, 12:37 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Must have felt especially lithesome t'other day for I actually stepped on some bathroom scales, and let me tell you I was rather surprised.

I've not done anything that could be considered dieting, yet since the height of my lardiness I've managed to lose around 23 lbs. Eek I say 'around', 'cos I've never been one to get too anal about weight (Sorry El G :o ), preferring instead to judge things by how much energy I've got or how tight/loose the old belt is.

Still, not really complaining and it does bode well for the continuation of my erratic training campaign for Almeria, which will begin in ernest in January.....probably.

Excellent news, SP. 23 pounds is about what I've lost since getting back into training.

I am indeed rather anal about recording weight -- I find it's the only way I can make progress. I need to see the graph confirming what the old belt test is suggesting. Also, I just find that occasional arbitrary checks can be a bit misleading as weight fluctuates so much from day to day and at different times of day, so I have a system, which you would obviously like me to describe.

OK, I'll tell you about it then: I weigh myself at roughly the same time each day, just after I get up, and before breakfast. I keep a record. Over a week, I eliminate the highest and the lowest readings, then add the rest and divide by 5 to get the average for the week. This is the figure I use to compare progress. I have a variety of graphs and targets and lots of colour coding. Anal indeed, but it works for me. It's a bit like trying to save money: the more detailed the records of income and spending, the better the results seem to be, and the higher the motivation.

That said, I'm not having a good week. The wine has been flowing freely in El Gordo Towers this week, contributing to me being 0.74 pounds heavier on average this week compared with last. Big Grin

Anyway, good to hear that you're still pointing towards the Almeria start line.
El Gordo

23-12-2008, 12:50 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Must have felt especially loathesome t'other day
I feel you're being a little hard on yourself old boy - you can be quite pleasant company at times Big Grin I have a theory about your erratic weight loss but I'll keep that to myself . . . for now . . .

As for me I'm afraid I've given the scales the old heave-ho. They surely lie like beaten dogs else why tell me I've neither lost nor gained so much as an ounce no matter how much I run or how much Guinness or Harvey's I consume? The belt test is erroneous anyway - leather stretches Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-01-2009, 01:57 PM,
So how is the training going SP?
Phew this is hard work !