Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Janathon 2011
18-01-2011, 03:17 PM,
RE: Janathon 2011
Sincere condolenses on the loss of a good friend MD. Sounds like he had a tremendous send-off, which is all any of us can ask for once our time comes.

Well done on the mileage: 97% of target mileage is exceptional given all you have to contend with - work/ young family/ traveling etc. I've adopted a whole new level of sloth in my preparations which I'm expecting to explode loudly in my face at any time. You, on the other hand, appear to be gliding inexorably through another well-managed campaign.

In the pink, as it were ; )

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

18-01-2011, 08:42 PM,
Thanks on all counts, Sweder.

As usual, my success rate is largely down to starting with an achievable - some might say leisurely - plan. I also don't have to contend with the same glamorous, jet-setting (client: "Get over here, now!") lifestyle as you Smile. Incidentally, I was browsing the Brighton marathon site recently and wondered if you had any professional opinions on the - new for this year - Expo?
18-01-2011, 09:05 PM,
Looks OK. The Brighton Centre is a decent venue (though delivery is a nightmare via restricted bays at the back). I imagine a couple of 'big name' manufacturers will take decent sized booths with local firms taking smaller stalls - a smaller version of the VLM Expo.

If I'm around I'll come along. I'm always interested in the nutritional products on offer. I 'll ask Sam if the Jog Shop are getting involved in running the Expo - he had plans to launch a stand-alone running/ sports show in London before the economic sky fell in.

Perhaps we could set up a pre-race pasta party if there's enough takers?

18-01-2011, 10:18 PM,
(18-01-2011, 09:05 PM)Sweder Wrote: Perhaps we could set up a pre-race pasta party if there's enough takers?

Not sure yet if I'll have les enfants in tow or not. They're certainly big pasta fans themselves, but they tend to take theirs about 5.30 pm.

If I'm on my own, I'd definitely be up for it.
23-01-2011, 11:22 AM,
(18-01-2011, 10:18 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(18-01-2011, 09:05 PM)Sweder Wrote: Perhaps we could set up a pre-race pasta party if there's enough takers?

Not sure yet if I'll have les enfants in tow or not. They're certainly big pasta fans themselves, but they tend to take theirs about 5.30 pm.

If I'm on my own, I'd definitely be up for it.

Did someone say party?
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

24-01-2011, 08:09 AM,
(23-01-2011, 11:22 AM)tomroper Wrote: Did someone say party?

It looks like the decision has been taken that I will be attending alone this year, so would definitely be up for some carbs assuming I get down there at a reasonable hour.

Haven't booked accommodation yet so will also have to see how far out I end up.

And have just realised the downside of travelling without support crew is that I will have to drive myself home (~90 mins) afterwards. Cue sound of calf muscle popping out every time I brake.
24-01-2011, 11:55 AM,
Pretty please may Mr SW and me come carb loading too. We are staying at the Travel Lodge at Preston Park, no trouble to reach the start from there unlike last year's nightmare. Have also arranged to travel by train too, neither of us fancied the drive back North.
Phew this is hard work !
24-01-2011, 12:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-01-2011, 12:07 PM by marathondan.)
Week 8 (of 19)

Wednesday – a rare daylight foray, as I gave my occasional lunchtime route the fartlek treatment. It’s a pleasant circuit, taking in the Grand Union canal and Horsenden Hill. I tried an uncontrolled descent through the wooded glade on the back of the hill, but wet clay carpeted with dead leaves isn’t the best surface for traction and I was forced to assume a more measured pace.

Friday – I’d hoped to get a second daylight run in this week, but today was looking busy so I took the decision to set the alarm for 0600. It wasn’t a pleasant prospect: with the plan calling for 6 miles at fast pace, on an empty stomach this was going to be a men-from-boys, going-gets-tough affair. However, having overcome the mental hurdle of getting out the door, the familiar inverse law applied and it turned out to be a successful outing – a shade over 10K inside 50 mins race pace, and all before breakfast.

Saturday – I ran around the garden with a play tunnel on my head. I think with some garden canes for bracing, I may be able to go for a really impressive height to the costume, over 9ft tall. But, tragically, this one is really going to need road testing. Last year I bottled running round the streets dressed as a gorilla; this time I don’t think there can be any excuses.

Sunday – 12.5 miles easy pace. I abandoned the mp3 player in favour of the sound of my own thoughts, but they didn’t make noticeably more sense than the usual radio programmes. It was a fairly comfortable run, but I was a little disappointed with the time, coming home in 4:04 marathon pace. I like to keep my long runs just under 4 hour pace; it’s a nice check that everything is going well. I note from my extensive records that the equivalent run last year was two and a half minutes quicker. Still, job done; onwards and upwards.
24-01-2011, 01:02 PM,
(24-01-2011, 11:55 AM)stillwaddler Wrote: Pretty please may Mr SW and me come carb loading too. We are staying at the Travel Lodge at Preston Park, no trouble to reach the start from there unlike last year's nightmare. Have also arranged to travel by train too, neither of us fancied the drive back North.

Now, if only there was anyone around here who would know good places to eat and drink in Brighton... Smile

Unfortunately I can't confirm my attendance until I find somewhere to stay. But it seems that there's some interest in a Saturday night get-together, which is great. Probably we should pick this conversation up again in late March to agree some details.
24-01-2011, 07:31 PM,
Great, count me in. There is an official pasta party, but I'm sure we can do better than that.
You'll be fine at the TravelLodge, set your alarm for 15 mins before the start and you can fall out of bed into the race.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

27-01-2011, 12:12 PM,
Week 9 of 19

Wednesday:

3.3 miles lunchtime fartlek, over bank, hill and dale. I forgot my hat and gloves (neither of which were really needed) and water bottle, and packed leggings instead of shorts by mistake. Other than that, it was well planned. 22 sec slower than last week overall; the mild time disappointment continues. Hopefully it's not an early warning sign - I'm feeling fine.

Then in the evening I road-tested the costume. I say road-tested, but I'm still too chicken to go out in public in the thing. So I ran up and down the garden for 10 minutes. The wind caught it a few times, which was interesting, but everything felt comfortable and seemed to stay in place. There are still a few refinements needed (e.g. internal shoulder straps) and then considerable decoration required. But the basic conclusion is that the project is GO, the dream is alive, etc etc. Photos to follow, when I'm actually home in daylight - it's too tall to stand up in indoors...

I guess the worst that could happen is for high winds to cause the fabric to rip, or (worse) a pole to snap. Fortunately there are no long, exposed stretches of road, or risks of high winds, in Brighton. Smile

Incidentally, it looks like I won't be able to make the pasta party beforehand. Having failed to secure city centre accommodation early on, I've decided to travel down on the day - drive to Redhill and then get the train to Preston Park. Thus I get the comfort of my own bed, plus it minimises the amount of driving with seized legs I have to do afterwards.

I consulted the "race day" chapter of my training bible in an attempt to validate this decision, but actually Lord Hal states that even when the start line is as little as 45 minutes from home, he stays at a hotel to ensure that he is as rested as possible. Ah well, what does he know?

On a related note, I see that His Royal Higness has embraced "Less is More" by introducing a 3-sessions-a-week marathon training program(me). From the introduction, it sounds as though it could have been written specifically for RCers:

"Marathon 3 is designed for experienced runners, those who have been running for several years, who enjoy running road races between 5-K and the marathon, but who find it difficult to run more often than three times a week. Perhaps it is because of a lack of time or perhaps it is because too frequent running raises their risk of injury."

He still includes two sessions of cross training per week though, the old bugger.
27-01-2011, 03:20 PM,
Sorry to hear about the pre-race meal but it sounds like we're having one with or without you now that Tom Rope-spierre is enthused and Mr & Mrs Stillwaddler have expressed an interest.

I admire your enthusiasm for running through the streets of Brighton dressed as a ten foot bright pink phallus. I can't forsee a time when I'll don anything but my own admittedly somewhat eccentric running garb.

So HAL has embraced 'less is more'. Would he accept golf/ pool-playing as cross-training? No? That explains why I've never looked at his schedules then Smile

31-01-2011, 09:54 AM,
(27-01-2011, 03:20 PM)Sweder Wrote: Sorry to hear about the pre-race meal but it sounds like we're having one with or without you now that Tom Rope-spierre is enthused and Mr & Mrs Stillwaddler have expressed an interest.

I'll be with you in spirit! [Image: smiley-eatdrink020.gif]

(27-01-2011, 03:20 PM)Sweder Wrote: I admire your enthusiasm for running through the streets of Brighton dressed as a ten foot bright pink phallus.

If I can keep it proudly upright for five hours, I'll leave Brighton a satisfied man. Hopefully it will also bring pleasure to many other people that I encounter on the streets.

Incidentally, I never mentioned pink. That just seems to be SW's fetish. Confused
31-01-2011, 12:09 PM,
Incidentally, I never mentioned pink. That just seems to be SW's fetish. Confused
[/quote]

but everybody knows Brighton rock is PINK:-)
Phew this is hard work !
31-01-2011, 12:53 PM,
(31-01-2011, 12:09 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: but everybody knows Brighton rock is PINK:-)

Well... google seems to think I have a few options. I had been thinking of going with red and white stripe. I don't think plain pink will be recognisable enough. Unless I just write BRIGHTON ROCK round the middle like a label? What do you think?

Anyway, here's a snap of the undecorated costume. It will look a lot better when it's painted, gaffer-taped up and decorated.

31-01-2011, 06:23 PM,
Strangest-looking phallus I ever saw (or imagined perhaps I should say) ... you look more like a chimney. What the hell is rock anyway? If it's some kind of aphrodisiac you're weirder than I thought!
Run. Just run.
01-02-2011, 07:31 AM,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(confectionery)

"It is commonly sold at tourist (usually seaside) resorts in the UK (like Brighton or Blackpool); in Ireland in seaside towns such as Bray and Strandhill; in Denmark in towns such as Løkken and Ebeltoft; and in Sydney and Tasmania, Australia."
01-02-2011, 08:55 AM,
Week 9 of 19

Friday

One from the Alternative Training Manual – the "Dead Chicken Session". I ran to Sainsbury’s. I bought a chicken. I ran home. 5.9 miles tempo.

Sunday – Almeria Half Marathon

Well, I missed the actual start by some 10 hours and 1000 miles, but my 13 miler fell serendipitously on the day of the great race, so I ran my own Almeria. Setting out at 9pm, it was a mite colder than our intrepid RC travellers would have experienced in the morning. There was a notable absence of crowds, or indeed any other runners. But I did like the personalised drinks station, with full water bottles as well as raisins and homemade flapjack. The goody bag comprised an entire fridge, but did require the runner to assemble his / her own snacks.

The run was middling – hard going in places, but with around a mile to go I switched to music and kicked pretty hard for home. I definitely enjoyed that last mile and, once home, within 10 minutes I was happily pottering around the house. Time was a shade under the two hours; can’t really complain at that.

86 miles completed for January, 13 runs (100% success!). I note that my plan for February is exactly 100 miles.
01-02-2011, 10:07 AM,
Nice tribute to fellow runners Dan. Like your style.
03-02-2011, 08:57 AM,
(01-02-2011, 07:31 AM)marathondan Wrote: "It is commonly sold at tourist (usually seaside) resorts in the UK (like Brighton or Blackpool); in Ireland in seaside towns such as Bray and Strandhill; in Denmark in towns such as Løkken and Ebeltoft; and in Sydney and Tasmania, Australia."

That is truly astonishing - I even checked the Wikipedia history to see if it was you that had appended the "and in Sydney and Tasmania" bit at the end - I can honestly say I have never seen nor heard of rock in Sydney nor in Tasmania - and I have lived in Tasmania for a little over three decades.

Why do I hear spooky music playing?

Shocked
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rest of 2011 - between marathons marathondan 73 80,078 28-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Brighton Marathon 2011 marathondan 16 17,365 08-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  April 2011 marathondan 35 29,704 21-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  March 2011 marathondan 21 24,845 31-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  February 2011 marathondan 19 23,872 04-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man