Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almería half marathon 2009
07-10-2008, 08:34 AM,
Sweder Wrote:Update - I've now 'heard something' - Mrs S is keen to go provided she's not the only non-runner there.
I've assured her she won't be because SP's going :RFLMAO:

That made me laugh. Big Grin Nice one Sweder....git.

I'll update my err...'guest' situation when I've broached the subject, but I suspect she'd only go if she could run it.

It'd be great if Mrs S could go though. She's a calming influence on The Swede and that hopefully means he won't be dragging us into so many bars. Rolleyes

Picking up on El G's last post, I'm easy, but if pushed would prefer the earlier flight and mosey down there approach. Even though we'll have vehicles, I still think we'll need to be somewhere that's walkable from Molleys.
07-10-2008, 08:52 AM,
Molly's -> Tryp isn't especially walkable after 14 pints of Guinness and a bottle of Rioja, but the taxis are plentiful.

Just another reminder that there's a 10K that takes place alongside the half these days, which should be manageable to most.

So at the moment, we may be shaping up towards this scenario:

Saturday - LGW-Murcia 07:45,
stay at the Tryp Indalo for 3 nights,
Tuesday - Murcia-LGW 20:00, arr LGW 21:30

Please raise objections or make better suggestions, but it would be nice to have a decision within a week or two max so that we can start booking.

There'll be a change to tradition this time around, with more time available on the Tuesday. Perhaps we could push back the beachside run and paella lunch from Monday to the Tuesday, leaving people to do what they want Monday before the mountainside scramble and evening beano?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM,
The Trypp worked pretty well the last couple of years, not least on raceday when we can saunter down to El Stadio. We did ponder having a HQ closer to the centre of town (Molly's) but didn't we decide it really wasn't that far anyway?

Value-wise the Trypp wins hands down.
Flights . . . I hate early starts too, but any delay on the road from Murcia would mean a rushed meal, late check-in . . . makes sense to go early. Plus I like the idea of finding a dusty roadside cafe for breakfast. I'll try to find out more about Monarch. As we'll be booking direct with an airline it would be good to know if they're likely to still be flying next January Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-10-2008, 10:22 AM,
Sweder Wrote:The Trypp worked pretty well the last couple of years, not least on raceday when we can saunter down to El Stadio. We did ponder having a HQ closer to the centre of town (Molly's) but didn't we decide it really wasn't that far anyway?

Value-wise the Trypp wins hands down.
Flights . . . I hate early starts too, but any delay on the road from Murcia would mean a rushed meal, late check-in . . . makes sense to go early. Plus I like the idea of finding a dusty roadside cafe for breakfast. I'll try to find out more about Monarch. As we'll be booking direct with an airline it would be good to know if they're likely to still be flying next January Eek

OK, so let's go for the Tryp Indalo, At the moment it's 57 euros per room per night for the period in question, or 63 including breakfast. (Add a bit more for breakfast if there are 2 people in the room). Not as cheap as previous years but this is down to the disastrous slide of the pound against the euro. 63 euros = £49 at the moment. I've had a look at party rates but this seems to be for 10 rooms+ which seems unlikely.

http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/hoteles/j...Hotel=0407[url=http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/reservations/jsp/C_Search_Availability.jsp][/url]

Re Monarch -- yep, good point. Pay by credit card too so that money can be refunded if necessary. (Eek - see how easily we've fallen into this negative mindset about the economy! We now book flights half-expecting the airline to go out of business before we get to the airport...)

Agree about finding a roadside place for a decent breakfast. Would be part of the fun.
El Gordo

07-10-2008, 11:41 AM,
Ok, amend list to me + 1.
07-10-2008, 11:41 AM,
Probables
El Gordo (?)
Sweder (21k) + 1 (NR)*
Seafront Plodder (?)
Ladyrunner (21k)
GaryChristie (21k)
Steve Sheekey (21k) + Jeremy West (21k) + Terry May (10k)

Thinking About It:
Stillwaddler
Mr SW
Steve Scott (Stevio)
Suzie Q
Niguel
Gillybean

May not take much more before we're looking at 10 rooms Eek
Of course some of these will share, but still . . .

Communicated with the great Niguel and he's turning that planet-sized mind towards Espana even now. He's all signed up for Brighton 10k.

[SIZE="1"]*NR - Mrs S may bail out of no other non-runners sign up[/SIZE]

07-10-2008, 01:36 PM,
Updated:

Probables:
El Gordo (21K)
Sweder (21k) + 1 (NR)
Seafront Plodder +1
Ladyrunner (21k)
GaryChristie (21k)

Thinking About It:
Stillwaddler
Mr SW
Steve Scott (Stevio)
Suzie Q
Niguel
Gillybean

Let me ask M to check the date of the do she's supposed to be going to. She thought it was that weekend but wasn't certain.
El Gordo

07-10-2008, 02:21 PM,
I can ask the hotel if there´s a special price for groups. Anyway, it is usually a little cheaper if you book the Tryp hotel through the official travel agency although you have to give them your credit card number or has to be paid by a bank transfer.

Antonio

07-10-2008, 03:56 PM,
anlu247 Wrote:I can ask the hotel if there´s a special price for groups. Anyway, it is usually a little cheaper if you book the Tryp hotel through the official travel agency although you have to give them your credit card number or has to be paid by a bank transfer.

Antonio

Thanks Antonio, though I think we may be just as well to book direct with the hotel. I doubt if the savings would be that great as it's not very expensive to start off with.
El Gordo

07-10-2008, 08:01 PM,
El Gordo Wrote:Thanks Antonio, though I think we may be just as well to book direct with the hotel. I doubt if the savings would be that great as it's not very expensive to start off with.

Sorry to disagree Boss, you beautifully snake-hipped mover you, but I reckon if Antonio walks in and books a block of 10 rooms for 3 nights there should be quite a saving to be had. And (deposit aside) we shouldn't have to pay up front.
07-10-2008, 09:27 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Sorry to disagree Boss, you beautifully snake-hipped mover you, but I reckon if Antonio walks in and books a block of 10 rooms for 3 nights there should be quite a saving to be had. And (deposit aside) we shouldn't have to pay up front.

Hey, no worries SP. No one is going to turn down a discount. It's just the the hassle factor of co-ordinating it. But if we have a volunteer.... Cool
El Gordo

08-10-2008, 08:48 AM,
Updated:

Probables:
El Gordo (21K)
Sweder (21k) + 1 (NR)
Seafront Plodder +1
Ladyrunner (21k)
GaryChristie (21k)
Gillybean (21k)

Thinking About It:
Stillwaddler
Mr SW
Steve Scott (Stevio)
Suzie Q
Niguel

One more for the magical Mystery Tour . . . Big Grin
Welcome on board Gillybean Smile

That's 11 confirmed including 3 via Stanstead (probably direct to Almeria) leaving 8 LGW/ Murcia. That'll be two motors needed. I'll make enquiries as to what, other than a large donkey and a rickety cart, might be available.

Hey Ana - what about your crew?
Any chance we might enjoy your company this time?

08-10-2008, 05:19 PM,
How about a minibus? That would take us all, no?
El Gordo

08-10-2008, 05:33 PM,
I'm extremely doubtful at this point. With the markets hitting rock bottom and extending my working career to many more years than I want, I'm thinking I shouldn't really be planning two trips across the water for next year. If I somehow find some extra cash, I can always fly out of Stansted.

Sounds like a good group going; wish I could be there as well!Sad

Suzie
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM,
No added pressures intended Suzie; come to that some of us may yet be in for some severe belt-tightening of our own. makes you wish for those halcyon days when failed bankers had the good grace to hurl themselves off rooftops . . .

EG a minibus might cut it -depends on available equipment.
I've not yet checked the options but will do so this evening and report back.
[SIZE="1"]I seem to be saying that a lot lately . . . :o[/SIZE]

08-10-2008, 05:57 PM,
Lay off Suzie, you bully. Eek

Aye, two trips to Europe within 10 or 11 weeks is asking a lot at any time but particularly so at the moment. My only slight regret is that if ([SIZE="3"]IF![/SIZE])I do get to Boston, I may miss seeing the lass as FLM is 6 days later.
El Gordo

08-10-2008, 06:48 PM,
I'll be there tho Suzie Q!

Mile 22.5, up the hill after the water station at M22, outside Oddbins, big blue and white balloon arch, large bloke next to me shouting his larynx out . . .

[SIZE="1"]we'll really try to spot you this time . . . :o[/SIZE]

08-10-2008, 08:56 PM,
Knowing where to look helps - I think the time before I was looking at the 22 mile marker with no luck. Although it is amazing that I didn't hear you and SP even from that distance!

Suzie
13-10-2008, 08:45 PM,
Dear all,
Of course that I will join you this year for the Almeria Half.
Moreover, I have decide to drive my car in order to have more logistic places.
Like El Gordo, I was making some changes.
Cigarrette is just for keeping appearences up.
ana
Ana Smile
13-10-2008, 09:06 PM,
Ana Wrote:Dear all,
Of course that I will join you this year for the Almeria Half.
Moreover, I have decide to drive my car in order to have more logistic places.
Like El Gordo, I was making some changes.
Cigarrette is just for keeping appearences up.
ana

Probables:
El Gordo (21K)
Sweder (21k) + 1 (NR)
Seafront Plodder +1
Ladyrunner (21k)
GaryChristie (21k)
Gillybean (21k)
Ana (21K?) +?

Thinking About It:
Stillwaddler
Mr SW
Steve Scott (Stevio)
Niguel
Suzie Q (unlikely)

Hurrah! Well done Ana, it will be great to team up again. What distance are you aiming for -- 10K again, or are you stepping up to the medio maraton? (My Spanish is improving.)

You'll get to meet SP this time, and he was talking recently about buying running shoes, so perhaps he has a little surprise for you?

But seriously folks, this looks like the biggest Almeria turnout by some distance.

I'm determined to put in a good performance this time around. Last two Almerias have been very poor for me. I wasn't interested 2 years ago, finishing 4th last, and was crocked last year. That will change in 2009. PB here I come Eek.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Brighton Marathon entry 2011 stillwaddler 31 34,835 14-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,581 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon Antonio247 96 58,600 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  Brighton Half Seanmacrook 0 1,243 10-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Seanmacrook
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 28,037 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads) ladyrunner 174 147,289 26-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  London Marathon 2014 El Gordo 5 9,503 28-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  A trip to Holland plus Rotterdam Marathon ladyrunner 8 10,634 08-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Amsterdam Marathon Oct 10 ladyrunner 13 15,683 15-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Virgin London Marathon 2011 marathondan 12 14,247 29-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler