Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fellrunning Film
12-04-2011, 09:09 PM,
Fellrunning Film
Interesting film on night fell running:

The Bedlamites
15-04-2011, 08:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2011, 08:55 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: Fellrunning Film
You're too modest G'man ... tell everyone who made this film!
Run. Just run.
17-04-2011, 10:43 AM,
Many thanks for buying a copy MLCM. It's very much appreciated.

It's fair to say that Mrs G did most of the heavy lifting on this one; including several weeks of editing. I think it's come together pretty well. Although a sound engineer is what we really need.

An experience standing in the dark on frozen hillsides waiting for the train of torches to come huffing past. But worth every minute.

Shame BB hasn't called in for a while. I think he's a big fan of one of the runners we featured.
22-04-2011, 08:44 PM,
Glaconman, where’s your training diary gone?

Nearly went to a 40th birthday bash in Oxenhope social club a couple of months ago...
22-04-2011, 09:16 PM,
Just read a review of the film on the fellrunner website. Hope you don't mind me posting it here...

There has never been a film made by an artist about fellrunning. Television journeymen churn out films about The Ben etc but they are designed to be general-viewer friendly and follow a tired personality-drivel format of clichéd questions posed by journalists with little empathy for the sport.

We now have the sublime The Bedlamites.

How this 15 minute film came to be made by Shyla and Lucas Lee (Clayhouse Productions) is not important (sponsorship by Bradford City Council to underpin its annual Film Festival).

What matters is that The Bedlamites is superb.

Although the premise on which the film is based is the pastime of some fellrunners to go running at night over, for example, Great Whernside, which is quirky and entertaining enough; this merely provides the springboard for the viewer to share the thoughts of the majestic Ian Holmes of Bingley Harriers (whom I suppose in time might eventually become recognised as the greatest fellrunner) and the elegant and eloquent Camille Askins (Keighley & Craven).

Ian, Fell Champion par excellence talks, in his uniquely modest way, about race technique, the joy of fellrunning, the craic; and Camille reflects, well, more on the philosophy of fellrunning and the intense experience of running in total darkness with only one’s head torch to light the way.

Dozens of other runners will be recognised: Brett Weeden, Ted Mason, (even this writer), but the wonder of this film is not runner spotting but that it captures the essence of the sport. As Camille says, “It just makes people well.”

The sign of a mediocre television documentary is a voice-over commentary: aural evidence that the pictures, or the people talking on the screen, are inadequate. But no out-of-work actor has been employed here: all you hear and see is the joie de vivre of the runners, whether lost on the fell or in the pub.

Brilliantly edited from many hours of film to just 15 minutes, and matched to atmospheric music commissioned from Phillip Codd, this film says more about fellrunning than dozens of hours of mediocrity. Only 15 minutes? The Bedlamites, like all great art, makes time stop. One watches enthralled thinking “and can there be still more to come?”

This is not so much a documentary about film running as a poem to a wonderful sport and way of life. The film may now be seen at World Film Festivals but in gratitude to the runners who took part the producers are making it available on DVD for a nominal £5.

The Bedlamites is a masterpiece in miniature.
22-04-2011, 10:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 22-04-2011, 10:46 PM by El Gordo.)
Wow! Fab review.

As soon as "The Only Way is Essex" is over, I'll go take a look.

Great to hear BB again, too.

Hurrah!

Edited to add -- Ah, is it only the trailer available?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-04-2011, 10:51 PM,
(22-04-2011, 08:44 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Glaconman, where’s your training diary gone?

Nearly went to a 40th birthday bash in Oxenhope social club a couple of months ago...

GM asked that it be removed -- which is absolutely permissible. We all hope he'll come back someday. His stuff was genuinely enthralling.
El Gordo

24-04-2011, 02:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-04-2011, 02:19 PM by glaconman.)
Apologies for removing the diary. It seems abit rude, but is not meant to be.

Not sure if the enthralling stuff lasted much beyond my Indian adventures. After that I seemed to drift into the practice of logging races and times in a rather pragmatic fashion.

Anyway, I still intend to read and contribute. I've got alot to say about running; even more so after not doing much for the last year. And I'm even running again after battling the dreaded Plantar Fasciitis.

The review was from the Chairman of the Fell Runners Association, Graham Breeze.

ps. BB, you nearly would have enjoyed the place Smile
28-04-2011, 10:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-04-2011, 10:43 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(Another) review: The Bedlamites
Shyla and Lukas Lee (Lukas being the famed Glaconman of these here parts) and their company Clayhouse Productions have been making short films for some time now - RCers may already be familiar with Vitya (still one of my all time favourite short films) and Uncle David, both of which you can view here.

Their latest effort, The Bedlamites, is somewhat closer to the heart of the RC community, being about the insanely special world of fell running - or more specifically, night fell running. As Graham Breeze's review above said, this is hardly a documentary - it's more of an insight to that special type of insanity that many (hopefully I'm not alone) of us are so jealous of - people who do something so madly illogical that you wish Van Gogh could have been around to paint it.

Well in fact the Lees have actually created a pretty fine work of art and I suspect Vincent Van would give a nod of approval.

Almost apologetic in its understatement, this is a film that Hollywood could never make, would never understand and to which it would most likely not even give a glance. And that, dear viewers, makes it rather special indeed.

The Bedlamites, by focussing on one of the slightly odder aspects of the sport explains in the Lee's unique way why we run and how it gets under the skin. As one of the runners explains:

"...there are no big egos really. There's a world of difference between being obesessed by where your club is in the premiership and passively watching, and actually getting out there doing something and having a go. It's not about watching these gods and goddesses on television - that does nothing for peoples' lives - it just makes them worse I think."

But the Lee's candid way of capturing through the lens the sheer intoxication of the sport and their mastery in editing the whole thing down to a fifteen-minute gem makes this a rare and beautiful expose of our sport.

And in fitting with RC culture, there are of course of lot of scenes shot in the pub which made me feel right at home. This hapless Aussie viewer was also grateful for the frankly language-murdering Yorkeshire dialect being subtitled, too!

You can watch the trailer and buy the film (for a modest 5 GBP) here.
Run. Just run.
28-04-2011, 07:44 PM,
RE: (Another) review: The Bedlamites
(28-04-2011, 10:41 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Shyla and Lukas Lee (Lukas being the famed Glaconman of these here parts) and their company Clayhouse Productions have been making short films for some time now - RCers may already be familiar with Vitya (still one of my all time favourite short films) and Uncle David, both of which you can view here.

Their latest effort, The Bedlamites, is somewhat closer to the heart of the RC community, being about the insanely special world of fell running - or more specifically, night fell running. As Graham Breeze's review above said, this is hardly a documentary - it's more of an insight to that special type of insanity that many (hopefully I'm not alone) of us are so jealous of - people who do something so madly illogical that you wish Van Gogh could have been around to paint it.

Well in fact the Lees have actually created a pretty fine work of art and I suspect Vincent Van would give a nod of approval.

Almost apologetic in its understatement, this is a film that Hollywood could never make, would never understand and to which it would most likely not even give a glance. And that, dear viewers, makes it rather special indeed.

The Bedlamites, by focussing on one of the slightly odder aspects of the sport explains in the Lee's unique way why we run and how it gets under the skin. As one of the runners explains:

"...there are no big egos really. There's a world of difference between being obesessed by where your club is in the premiership and passively watching, and actually getting out there doing something and having a go. It's not about watching these gods and goddesses on television - that does nothing for peoples' lives - it just makes them worse I think."

But the Lee's candid way of capturing through the lens the sheer intoxication of the sport and their mastery in editing the whole thing down to a fifteen-minute gem makes this a rare and beautiful expose of our sport.

And in fitting with RC culture, there are of course of lot of scenes shot in the pub which made me feel right at home. This hapless Aussie viewer was also grateful for the frankly language-murdering Yorkeshire dialect being subtitled, too!

You can watch the trailer and buy the film (for a modest 5 GBP) here.

Sold!
El Gordo

28-04-2011, 10:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-04-2011, 10:36 PM by glaconman.)
Well, that's very kind of you MLCM to offer such a thoughtful and positive review. It's tremendous when somebody is that appreciative. Particularly of the tone and editing.

Actually what pleased Mrs G most was your comments about the Yorkshire dialect. Although quite what authority an Indian and an Aussie have in judging the sublime and poetic lilt of the Yorkshire accent, I don't know. Boycott would be furious.

I've rediscovered this part of the world (West Riding / South Pennines) in the last few years; primarily due to two things: beer and running.

What's happening in the brewing industry with a plethora of new, small breweries delivering magnificent variations on British ale is life-affirming. But that's another story.

The running culture in these parts is rich and wonderful. It marks the passage of time and allows you to see people, places and events in a completely new light.

I think to get to know a place you've got to have a really good root around under the surface and get involved. And running is a fascinating and very complex sport; and it can give you that new perspective.

Thanks again. And thanks EG for also supporting it.
29-04-2011, 07:21 AM,
Sounds like a good subject for a future project -- your magnificent local brewery, the great Timothy Taylor, and the beer revival.

Am looking forward to receiving the CD.
El Gordo

01-05-2011, 11:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM by Sweder.)
The quality of these humble yet excellent films never ceases to amaze me. I've ordered my copy too. Surely the Beeb would be interested in broadcasting something this beautifully crafted?

Meanwhile in case anyone here missed this here's some exclusive footage from the Royal Wedding rehearsals last week. By the far the highlight of the whole shebang for me, this.
Volume required.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-05-2011, 01:06 PM,
Cheers Sweder. Much appreciated. TV seems to be obsessed with celeb 'jouneys'. It should do well at festivals though.
04-05-2011, 06:31 AM,
(03-05-2011, 01:06 PM)glaconman Wrote: Cheers Sweder. Much appreciated. TV seems to be obsessed with celeb 'jouneys'. It should do well at festivals though.

Just tell 'em Hugh Grant is in the pack. How would they ever know?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-06-2011, 12:06 AM,
Thoroughly enjoyed the film. Beautifully made. The woman commentator (Camille?) had it absolutely right when she talked about the value of participation vs spectating.

Must confess I felt a deep stab of longing when I saw the pub scenes. I B & B-ed in a Kettlewell pub once. Was it that one I wonder? The thunk of the hand pumps tickled my nostalgia nodes, for sure.

I hope you've sent copies to the BBC, and Runners World (US and UK and elsewhere) and the newspapers, and everywhere. Really good film-making, both technically and narratively. Both GM and his talented, lovely wife should feel extremely proud -- and deserve some recognition.

For anyone who has not bought a copy, you should do so. For a fiver, it's an absolute bargain.
El Gordo

20-06-2011, 10:13 AM,
Kind words Andy. Many thanks.

Yes, there's something special about places like Kettlewell. Especially on a clear, frosty night, with a fire burning in the hearth and half a dozen good ales to choose from.
20-06-2011, 10:46 AM,
(20-06-2011, 10:13 AM)glaconman Wrote: Kind words Andy. Many thanks.

Yes, there's something special about places like Kettlewell. Especially on a clear, frosty night, with a fire burning in the hearth and half a dozen good ales to choose from.

Shut up, you bastard...

Frusty
El Gordo

20-06-2011, 12:50 PM,
(20-06-2011, 10:46 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(20-06-2011, 10:13 AM)glaconman Wrote: Kind words Andy. Many thanks.

Shut up, you bastard...

Frusty

I can taste the London Pride now ... mmm.... or maybe an ESB? What do you say, EG?
Run. Just run.
13-01-2012, 02:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-01-2012, 08:31 PM by El Gordo.)
This film has done the festival circuit now so is available to watch on youtube HERE