Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April Marathon Month
21-04-2011, 02:59 PM,
RE: April Marathon Month
(21-04-2011, 10:30 AM)Sweder Wrote: In fact I'm thinking of a serious PB attempt next year, possibly at Brighton, using precisely this strategy.
Bring it on ...... Target

(21-04-2011, 12:17 PM)marathondan Wrote: (Consults recently constructed spreadsheet.) 4 min run @ 8 MM then 35 sec walk @ 10 MM equates to a 3:36 marathon, which is pretty damn tasty. But I don't know whether I can sustain those paces (or even achieve them in the first place, in the case of the walk).

That seems very fast paces for both the run and the walk. I estimate that to do my 3:54 marathon I was running at 8:40-45 MM pace and walking at about 11:00-30 MM. 10:00 MM is very fast walking (race walking i would think)?? Mine was 2km run followed by 1min walk.

We need to write an excel formular to work this out properly!!Big GrinBig Grin
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
21-04-2011, 03:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-04-2011, 03:18 PM by Sweder.)
(21-04-2011, 02:59 PM)ladyrunner Wrote:
(21-04-2011, 12:17 PM)marathondan Wrote: (Consults recently constructed spreadsheet.) 4 min run @ 8 MM then 35 sec walk @ 10 MM equates to a 3:36 marathon, which is pretty damn tasty. But I don't know whether I can sustain those paces (or even achieve them in the first place, in the case of the walk).

That seems very fast paces for both the run and the walk. I estimate that to do my 3:54 marathon I was running at 8:40-45 MM pace and walking at about 11:00-30 MM. 10:00 MM is very fast walking (race walking i would think)?? Mine was 2km run followed by 1min walk.

We need to write an excel formular to work this out properly!!Big GrinBig Grin

Sod that. Who needs more spreadsheets in their life? (waits for deluge of replies from sad geeks) ...

I'll consult my hydration guru Herr Splodmeister over a pint or two of Hopping Hare and see if we can't bludgeon out some kind of half-arsed stumblers schedule. BTW I don't need anything as exotic as 3:36 for a PB. I'd bite your hand off for 3:45.

On the BM entries, if I can't get a place in the Brighton Marathon next year I'm hanging up my boots, especially considering the dreadful last-minute drop-out rate. Shame on you South Coasters Sad

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-04-2011, 07:45 PM,
(21-04-2011, 02:59 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: That seems very fast paces for both the run and the walk. I estimate that to do my 3:54 marathon I was running at 8:40-45 MM pace and walking at about 11:00-30 MM. 10:00 MM is very fast walking (race walking i would think)?? Mine was 2km run followed by 1min walk.

Yes I agree, I think it might be unachievable for me. Hence I need to get out and do a bit of time trialling.
21-04-2011, 07:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-04-2011, 08:06 PM by marathondan.)
Fair comments Sweder, and of course a couple of pints with SP has to be more fun than staring at a spreadsheet. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly lying.

But as you know, I have to plan it, dammit! Nothing can be left to chance.

And speaking of which, if you want guaranteed entry to BM12, you just need to cough up before the end of the month! (More expensive than London, BTW.)

And yes, 3:36 is probably cloud cuckoo land for me as well. 3:44:59 would be more than adequate.
21-04-2011, 09:16 PM,
(21-04-2011, 07:48 PM)marathondan Wrote: And speaking of which, if you want guaranteed entry to BM12, you just need to cough up before the end of the month! (More expensive than London, BTW.)

There's always a Jolly to the Rotterdam Marathon to consider on the same day 15th April 2012. Wouldn't need to enter until December to get the cheaper rate which I think was about Euros38.

..... Or Venice, Paris, Madrid, Milan and the North Pole!! Big Grin
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
21-04-2011, 10:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-04-2011, 10:40 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(21-04-2011, 07:48 PM)marathondan Wrote: Fair comments Sweder, and of course a couple of pints with SP has to be more fun than staring at a spreadsheet. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly lying.

Erm, well ... can't we combine the two? Huh Confused Undecided
Run. Just run.
25-04-2011, 08:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-04-2011, 11:01 AM by ladyrunner.)
A few outings to report since my last session on Tuesday.

On Thursday evening i decided to go along to my athletic clubs running interval session at Hove Park. I turned up with plenty of water in hand as it had been a very hot day and at 6:30pm it didn't seem much cooler. This would be my first running interval session since last summer when I was injured with a sore hip. The session set was 5 x 1.5 laps of the north end of the park, followed by a short uphill walk recovery on the grass back to the start again. I set off on the first inteval trailing at the back with another 2 runners - 6:00 minutes for the course. The second and third intervals were happily consistent 6:00 and 6:01 and I was gaining leading distance on the 2 back markers who had started to fade badly. Then the coach announced that the next interval would be my last. I was struggling at this point and had already made this decision myself. Set off on the last interval wanting to make it a good one. Finished in 5:58. After this we then had to do a few short sprint dashes across the park 100-150m to finish up. A good session completed, but I don't really feel very fit. Not sure if it is because I have been doing so much walking training lately, or because I have done no fast running or whether it is still the marathon in my legs.

Saturday morning I had agreed to take part in road relays for my running club. Once again it was a very hot day, made worse by my Friday afternoon/evening of alchohol consumption. I was feeling terribly dehydrated and sat sipping water in the shade waiting for the race to start. I was running the third leg so once the race started I was off warming up trying to stay in the shade as much as possible. Once racing I managed to catch up with a couple of runners and completed the 2.1 mile lap in 14:12. Not my fastest time ever but quicker than I had anticipated.

On Sunday morning I had arranged to meet up with Sweder, Moylebird and Judith for a steady Downland run from Washington, nr Steyning. I was much happier on this day. The weather was warm, I was not hungover, the distance and terrain suited me (long, steady and undulating) and I had some good company for chats too. Moylebird and Judith were feeling tired from yesterday's relays but I was feeling good and definately marathon recovered. We set off through the village of Washington and up a big hill, immediately recognised by Sweder and Moylebird as one of the Stingers. The tiredness of the girls meant that I was able to fast walking up the hill and another kilometer or two once I had got to the top before they caught me up. The majority of the run went on like this. I jogged and then each incline I fast walked. I like this type of training - I think it is probably my favourite Big Grin . At half way Sweder seemed to be struggling a bit with the distance, but for a few kilometers on our return he was pushing hard on the inclines and setting the pace. It won't be long until he will have his fitness back and will be ready to challenge his distance pb's again. 10.5 miles covered in approximately 1hr 48mins.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
25-04-2011, 08:19 PM,
(25-04-2011, 08:37 AM)ladyrunner Wrote: Once racing I managed to catch up with a couple of runners and completed the 2.1 mile lap in 14:12.

Sounds like there's not much wrong with your speed Julie!
30-04-2011, 09:56 PM,
I've been on a bit of a taper week as I have my 20k walking race tomorrow afternoon in London.

Tuesday I met a friend for a 6.5 mile walk. We set off from the Red Lion in Shoreham up to almost the top of Truleigh Hill (approx 30 minute gradual climb). Then a jog descent off road down a steep flinty path to the village of Bramber. From here we switched back to walking and picked up the Downs Link Path, which is flat and off-road to bring us to the end of our lap. Time on feet 71 minutes. Feeling a little vatigued due to hunger.

Then rested again until Thursday. Just did a 6.5km walking session on the treadmill which consisted of a short warm-up followed by 8 x 3 minute reps (2min at 9.5km/hour followed by 1 minute at a pace increasing each rep b 0.2km/hr, from 10.0km/hr to 11.4km/hr). Then a warm down of about 1km at 7.2km/hr with light hand weights walking whilst doing should presses, bicep curls, tricep swings and lateral raises (madness I know Big Grin).

So tomorrow is the big day. The National Race Walking Assoc 20km at 2:15pm. It looks like it is going to be another hot one. The forecast is 18 deg and sunshine. The course is around a 2km cycle track (Redbridge Cycle Circuit nr Ilford) so I doubt that there will be much, if any shade on the course.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
01-05-2011, 07:31 AM,
Good luck in Ilford the afternoon. I hope it stays as cool as it s just now - there's a lovely breeze dancing around this morning but Apollo's in his chariot once more. Another mini-plod for me today. RSPCA check-up this morning to make sure we'e not knocking out puppyburgers then off to visit Ma Sweder in hospital.

01-05-2011, 09:07 PM,
(30-04-2011, 09:56 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: So tomorrow is the big day...It looks like it is going to be another hot one. The forecast is 18 deg...

Best of luck LR, but seriously, you have to move to a warmer climate!

Huh
Run. Just run.
02-05-2011, 07:19 PM,
(01-05-2011, 09:07 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Best of luck LR, but seriously, you have to move to a warmer climate!

Huh

On the plus side we get a good deal fewer incidents of skin cancer.
Remember, 'warm' is relative; it's been unseasonably warm in the UK this past month but I doubt you'd have taken your windcheater off Smile