Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bewlastic July
07-07-2011, 10:38 AM,
Bewlastic July
Sunday 3rd July

Today I was lining up for one of our late friend Moyleman's favourite races, The Bewl 15. Only three years ago I took my van to the race with Moyleman, Shaun and Alan. I didn't know Moyleman's mate Sweder at this time but we had arranged to pick him up by Lewes Prison but unfortunately the plans changed and Sweder couldn't make it. This day is a fond memory for me of Moyleman, mainly because it was the last bit of quality time that I spent with him and his last race before he was struck down with illness. Had we known at this time the events of the following months I'm sure that Sweder would have been there to share this time with us too.

I remember agreeing to run steady with Moyleman but the gun went and he started sprinting off to the first stile. We were queueing up to climb over the stile when he decided this wasn't good enough and he took off and hurdling over the fence and this was the last I saw of him in the race. So much for running steady together!!Moyleman ran 1:56 and I followed in 1:58. After the race we had a little gathering in the van with coffee, food and lager before driving home.

More to come here .....
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
07-07-2011, 11:27 AM,
RE: Bewlastic July
(07-07-2011, 10:38 AM)ladyrunner Wrote: I didn't know Moyleman's mate Sweder at this time but we had arranged to pick him up by Lewes Prison but unfortunately the plans changed and Sweder couldn't make it.

Presumably his day release authorisation didn't get approved in time... Big Grin
08-07-2011, 04:23 PM,
Sunday 3rd July

Back to the Bewlastic 15 - 2011 race. The weather was very warm today and no wind. The sun was shining and it was going to be another hot race. For the last couple of years the start/end of the race has been re-routed to avoid the stile. The disadvantage of this has been extending the race distance from 14.1 miles to 15.0 miles. I travelled to the race with my BF who had been chosen as an elite athlete and wearing race No. 1 CoolCool. I was amongst the mere mortals having been given No. 610.

I did a steady warm-up on the field, 3 or 4 laps of the athletics track plus some stretching. I donned my sunhat and 'gafas de sol' hoping to remain anonymous but I was still recognisable by all - the Arena club vest was probably too much of a give away Huh. I joked with Henry (BF) that the only part of the race that he would see me was the uphill finish to the line so I said that I would take it slowly (walking) the whole way and sprint the finish to look impressive. I was determined to run steady for atleast 10 miles and then push on towards the end if I could, and the sprint finish was secretly my plan to look good at the end if it was possible on such a hot day with a lack of recent running miles in my legs.

So I set off mid pack, and kept to my plan starting steady. I didn't set my stopwatch as I didn't want to get stressed out by what pace I was running at. For the first few miles lots of people overtook me but I wasn't tempted to stay with them.

As I ticked off the miles I kept going at my steady pace and felt strong. At about 6 miles you could see the race leaders across the lake on their return - it looked like Henry was in 2nd place. At 10 miles I was thinking about trying to push on but kept going steady. People were beginning to slow down and struggle and I was starting to overtake them. We then hit the road surface and for the next 3 miles the rollercoaster ride of steep and long hills began. Up and down, up and down ...... I had forgotten about the severity of these hills and was so glad that I was feeling good. I managed to run up the hills whilst most were walking.

With 2 miles to go we were back on the dusty paths and the course had flattened out again. I knew that the last half a mile or so was going to be tough as it was uphill. As we did a left turn through a gate into a field I recognised the course from the start of the race. One long uphill in this field again saw many runners walking. This was then followed by the dusty/flinty uphill track to the finish. When I hit this track my pace increased and the sprint to the line thought returned. I was tired but I managed my sprint for the last 200m of the race. At the finish the Mayor greeted me and handed me her 'prize of the day' a Buff multifunctional headscarf. I grinned to myself - my sprint must have looked impressive and I must have looked fresh to catch her eye out of the other 600 runners Big Grin

My time was 2 hr 05:37. Henry was 3rd in 1hr 32:13 (an outragously quick time!!) Exclamation
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
14-07-2011, 08:56 AM,
Monday 4th July

Four slow laps of walking with Cam at Preston Park. Legs were tired but no injuries to report Smile

Tuesday 5th July

65 minute steady walk at Stanmer Park on a mixture of tarmac and off road paths. Feeling good only 2 days after Bewl 15.

Thursday 7th July

Fast Run on my Stanmer Park/Horsdean lap. Pushed the run to try and break 36 minutes. Set off hard up to Stanmer Park with the wind behind me and faced a strong headwind on the downhill return section to Patcham. Overall time 34:50 (pb) - 1 min 10 sec improvement .... whooh Big Grin

Saturday 9th July

Decided to try a new session today before the Parkrun. Met Joanat 8:10am and we planned 3x1km fast before the 5km race. After the first 1km it was looking doubtful that I was going to finish the session as I was bent over .... reaching from my stomach. I had eaten breakfast only 35 minutes ago and now was trying to train hard. The time for the first 1km rep was 5:06. With 2 minutes rest we set off for the next rep. I went abit gentler to try and ease the sickness feeling but still clocked 5:07. With another 2 minutes rest my stomach seemed to have settled now and the final 1km was 5:07 again. Next we had 10 minutes rest before the race.

The race was slow - I was obviously a bit tired from the repetitions. 7:00 for the small lap, 10:05 for the next lap and 10:28 for the final lap. 27:33 my overall time which is my slowest for months but I am not used to training so fast beforehand.

Sunday 10th July

A downland run with Henry but at my pace Smile 10.12 miles covered in 1hr 37minutes. It was a bright and warm day and our route covered some lovely areas of the Downs. Stanmer Park, around the path at the rear to the Pylon, up the big hills to Ditchling Beacon, along SDW towards Clayton Windmills then home via the Sussex Border Path.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
24-07-2011, 04:23 PM,
Monday 11th July

Another steady walking session at Preston Park with Cam and new recruits Tim, Fi, Pam and Lee.

Tuesday 12th July

Met up with Joan for an early morning walking interval session in Shoreham. After a 10 minute warm up we did 8x2minutes efforts with 1 minute recovery. The first six efforts were tough going on the gravely off road path along the River Adur. I was much happier on the final two intervals when we hit the tarmac and my pace increased. This followed by a 10 minute warm down and a bit of light stretching.

Thursday 14th July

My fast run on my Stanmer Park/Horsdean lap. I decided to push the pace once again to try and beat last weeks pb time of 34:50. I finished up feeling strong and very happy to have shaved off a bit more time 34:35. After this I did a 10 minute steady walking warm down on my treadmill. Legs feeling good - no problems to report Smile

Saturday 16th July

Another Hove Park walking interval session of 3x1km before the Parkrun. Met up with my running friend Isobel for the early morning efforts. The first one I took reasonably steady in 5:17 - I didn't want a repeat of last week when I was feeling sick from pushing on too quickly. The next two were much quicker 5:04 and 5:00 (pb) to finish.

We then had a 15 minute break before the start of the 5km Parkrun. I set off hard but felt very tired. My pace was down due to the earlier interval session. I worked hard and felt that the race resembled the last 5km of a half marathon when you are feeling the distance and struggling on. My overall time was 27:02 which was 30 seconds faster than last week (splits 7:03, 17:02, 27:02). I was pleased to have improved on last week and pleased to have been able to hold a consistant pace for the final lap (last week I dropped 30 seconds).

Sunday 17th July

Went out with Henry for a brisk run in Stanmer Park. We ran up to Old Boar Corner then ran the perimeter lap of the park before heading home again. I have some fond memories of this perimeter lap when Sweder and I did the crazy 2 lap snow run on this course in Jan 2010 in readiness for the Almeria Half Marathon.

Total distance of my run today approx 7.5-8.0 miles in 1hr 3mins.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
27-07-2011, 08:12 AM,
I have to ask, Julie ... what (on Earth) ... is a "multifunctional headscarf"? I can only think it's something along the lines of a tea towel?!?
Run. Just run.
28-07-2011, 09:27 AM,
(27-07-2011, 08:12 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: I have to ask, Julie ... what (on Earth) ... is a "multifunctional headscarf"? I can only think it's something along the lines of a tea towel?!?

I guess it’s what over here we call a “buff”. I like them, good for keeping your head or neck warm in winter or to keep the dust or sweat out of your eyes in summer.

By the way ladyrunner, this is what i call a proper training diary. I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to racewalking but i found these tables which give comparative times for all events.

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Competit...08_742.pdf

A 1:50 ladies racewalking time over 20k equals 900 points. That translates to a 1:09 mens half marathon or a 2:31 marathon ShockedShockedShocked

I take off my multifunctional headscarf to you.
28-07-2011, 08:56 PM,
(28-07-2011, 09:27 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: By the way ladyrunner, this is what i call a proper training diary. I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to racewalking but i found these tables which give comparative times for all events.

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Competit...08_742.pdf

A 1:50 ladies racewalking time over 20k equals 900 points. That translates to a 1:09 mens half marathon or a 2:31 marathon ShockedShockedShocked

I take off my multifunctional headscarf to you.

Damned impressive, that's for sure. Exclamation
Run. Just run.