Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Well Spent
25-08-2011, 10:15 PM,
Time Well Spent
I saw somewhere today a random fact that the total number of hours spent playing World of Warcraft has been calculated to total (laid end to end obviously) 5.3 million years.

I wondered how long I'd spent on line in my lifetime (well, the last ten years really). I was cocking about in the User CP here (trying and failing to change the 2010 race references in my forum listing) when I noticed that the site calculates the amount of time we spend logged into RC in a similar way.

I have been logged in and on here for a total of one week three days eleven hours and thirty two minutes. It doesn't sound long until you imagine sitting at your computer for that amount of time, non-stop, endlessly reading and typing forum entries. Yikes.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-08-2011, 08:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-08-2011, 08:37 AM by El Gordo.)
RE: Time Well Spent
Typing Typing Typing Typing Typing Typing

That's quite an impressive achievement. I seem to be only 5 and a half days myself. Not sure how this is calculated, but it cannot be just time spent with the forum open in the background, as I must have sometimes had it open for days on end without knowing / caring. Must be actual usage time.

As for total time spent in front of a computer, I have often considered this (usually while sitting front of a computer). I bought my first Amstrad PCW word processor in 1987, and used it a lot in my free time. From 1989, when I started my Software Design MSc, I've been pretty much sat in front of a computer screen in all my day jobs. I first started using the web regularly in 1994 but at first, only in the local internet café. In 1996 I moved to a job that gave me my own laptop and internet connection, and from here on in my slavery was total. So for the last 22 years I reckon I've spent almost all available 9 to 5 periods in front of a PC, and since 1996 (15 years) I must have spent at least 12 hours a day, almost every day, 7 days a week, tapping away at a keyboard. And I still type teh instead of the.

I sometimes think that the device that has given the world such an astonishing sense of freedom, has simultaneously enslaved us in ways more powerful and addictive than any class A pharmaceutical.

Ballchain

PS Please PM or mail me with the changes you want made to your race plans etc. It can only be done by an admin. Heck. no wait. I think I'll make you an admin, as an acknowledgement of your contribution. First
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-09-2011, 10:13 AM,
RE: Time Well Spent
For me it says: 1 Week, 22 Hours, 19 Minutes, 28 Seconds

Guess I must be a slow typerer.

EG, maybe your time reflects the fact that you've changed your "name" a couple of times?

Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great race t-shirts of our time marathondan 0 737 06-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Head in hands time. El Gordo 0 1,247 17-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Squeaky Bum Time Sweder 6 2,494 23-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Time to come clean, Ming Sweder 2 1,510 26-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Sweder