Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objectives: Under two hours and under eighty kilos
04-09-2011, 08:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011, 08:39 PM by Antonio247.)
Objectives: Under two hours and under eighty kilos

After a quiet summer with very little running. In fact, I just went for a run on twelve days doing only 68 kms in all and getting a little fatter. I would like to reach the objective of doing Almería half marathon under two hours and weigh under 80 kilos by the end of January when the race is supposed to be held.

My aim is to follow a balanced diet and go for a run for at least four days a week.

On 1st September my weight was 84.5 kg. The previous evening, I went for a 5 km run which took me 34 minutes. I felt quite well.

On Friday, Saturday and today I´ve managed to go for a short run each day, just 4, 6 and 5 kilometres respectively.

My aim is to go for a run every day if I feel well and have time. I´d also like to do Granada half marathon on 6th November. http://www.mmgranada.es/

05-09-2011, 04:55 AM,
RE: Objectives: Under two hours and under eighty kilos
(04-09-2011, 08:38 PM)anlu247 Wrote: My aim is to follow a balanced diet and go for a run for at least four days a week.

Welcome back Antonio.
I think your 4 runs per week objective is both sensible and acheivable. I've tried to do the same myself since the start of August and so far it's been OK. Now I'm traveling it will be tougher but even if I only managed 2 or 3 kms per run I hope to stick to the plan.

I never weigh myself or worry too much about my weight. I know I'm too heavy when I run and everything wobbles (like now). The trouble with using the scales (as our man in Switzerland has said many times) is consistency. You have to weigh yourself at the same time of the day over many days and take the average each week to get a real idea of improvement. I'm ashamed to say I can't be arsed with all that so I judge myself on how easy or hard it is to run and on how much my moobs jiggle. Not scientific perhaps but effective nonetheless.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-09-2011, 08:05 PM,
(05-09-2011, 04:55 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(04-09-2011, 08:38 PM)anlu247 Wrote: My aim is to follow a balanced diet and go for a run for at least four days a week.

Welcome back Antonio.
I think your 4 runs per week objective is both sensible and acheivable. I've tried to do the same myself since the start of August and so far it's been OK. Now I'm traveling it will be tougher but even if I only managed 2 or 3 kms per run I hope to stick to the plan.

I never weigh myself or worry too much about my weight. I know I'm too heavy when I run and everything wobbles (like now). The trouble with using the scales (as our man in Switzerland has said many times) is consistency. You have to weigh yourself at the same time of the day over many days and take the average each week to get a real idea of improvement. I'm ashamed to say I can't be arsed with all that so I judge myself on how easy or hard it is to run and on how much my moobs jiggle. Not scientific perhaps but effective nonetheless.

Muchas gracias, S, for your pieces of advice and encouragement. I need to weigh myself to realise how fat I am so that I´m motivated enough to eat in a healthier way and do some more exercise. Enjoy your long trip, tireless traveller!

This afternoon I went for a run along the sea front. It was a wonderful sunny afternoon with many people walking, jogging, riding on bicycle and swimming in the sea. I went uphill along avenida del Mediterráneo to go back home by the railway station bridge banking around 7 kilometres in 50 minutes.

05-09-2011, 10:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2011, 10:39 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
I weigh myself once per week and record the stats in a spreadsheet (there it is again) ... yes there is a fair amount of inaccuracy in domestic scales, but over time you get a pretty good idea of where you are.

Best of luck with all that, Antonio. Once I got serious about my weight I shed 5 kgs in a few weeks and have managed to keep it off without too much difficulty. I have been 78 kgs for about 10 weeks now and don't feel too much sacrifice has been made in achieving it.

Best of luck getting under two hours... the same goal as me (though not for the P2P, obviously)!
Run. Just run.
06-09-2011, 04:23 AM,
(05-09-2011, 10:39 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: with all that, Antonio. Once I got serious about my weight I shed 5 kgs in a few weeks and have managed to keep it off without too much difficulty. I have been 78 kgs for about 10 weeks now and don't feel too much sacrifice has been made in achieving it.

I haven't seen the underside of 90 kilos since I was about 17.
Hmm. Perhaps that's why I don't take the scales route?

'Bloater'

06-09-2011, 06:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011, 06:05 AM by El Gordo.)
78 kg, MLCM?

Fear

Watch out lads, we have an impostor in our midst. Seems some folks are not obeying the rules around here...

Good luck Antonio. Hmm. I wonder if I can get to Almeria this time...?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-09-2011, 07:33 AM,
(06-09-2011, 06:03 AM)El Gordo Wrote: 78 kg, MLCM?

Fear

Watch out lads, we have an impostor in our midst. Seems some folks are not obeying the rules around here...

Rules? What rules? No-one ever told me there were rules. Undecided
Run. Just run.
06-09-2011, 08:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM by Sweder.)
(06-09-2011, 07:33 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:

Fear

Rules? What rules? No-one ever told me there were rules. Undecided

Rules eh? Excellent.
*reaches for giant hammer*

06-09-2011, 08:42 PM,
(05-09-2011, 10:39 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: I weigh myself once per week and record the stats in a spreadsheet (there it is again) ... yes there is a fair amount of inaccuracy in domestic scales, but over time you get a pretty good idea of where you are.

Best of luck with all that, Antonio. Once I got serious about my weight I shed 5 kgs in a few weeks and have managed to keep it off without too much difficulty. I have been 78 kgs for about 10 weeks now and don't feel too much sacrifice has been made in achieving it.

Best of luck getting under two hours... the same goal as me (though not for the P2P, obviously)!

Congratulations on your losing weight and running faster, MLCM. I find it difficult to keep the weight once I´ve reached the objective. Too many temptations!

Gracias and best of luck with the under two hour barrier for you as well. If you´re lucky, you will mange to do it soon.

06-09-2011, 08:47 PM,
(06-09-2011, 04:23 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(05-09-2011, 10:39 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: with all that, Antonio. Once I got serious about my weight I shed 5 kgs in a few weeks and have managed to keep it off without too much difficulty. I have been 78 kgs for about 10 weeks now and don't feel too much sacrifice has been made in achieving it.

I haven't seen the underside of 90 kilos since I was about 17.
Hmm. Perhaps that's why I don't take the scales route?

'Bloater'

You could weigh under 90 kilos if you really wanted but you don´t look fat, S.

06-09-2011, 08:50 PM,

Fear

Good luck Antonio. Hmm. I wonder if I can get to Almeria this time...?

Gracias, EG. We missed you here this year. It would be great if you could come next year. Are you better from your injury?

I´m glad you´re having a good time in Switzerland.

10-09-2011, 10:59 AM,
Saturday 10th September

Since the second of September I´ve just rested last Tuesday. I´ve done just 5, 5, 7 and 6 kilometres last Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. This morning at 11.30 am it was a bit hot, 28º C. I went along the seafront. There were a lot of people swimming and sunbathing on the beach.
I´ve managed to lose one kilo in ten days.

11-09-2011, 09:02 AM,
(10-09-2011, 10:59 AM)anlu247 Wrote: Saturday 10th September

Since the second of September I´ve just rested last Tuesday. I´ve done just 5, 5, 7 and 6 kilometres last Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. This morning at 11.30 am it was a bit hot, 28º C. I went along the seafront. There were a lot of people swimming and sunbathing on the beach.

Good to see that you are running again Antonio. Those are the sort of distances I've been doing this summer. I've even bought a pair of road runners!
Term starts on Monday in Ponferrada. Are you still teaching in that centre for adults?
11-09-2011, 08:54 PM,
(11-09-2011, 09:02 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(10-09-2011, 10:59 AM)anlu247 Wrote: Saturday 10th September

Good to see that you are running again Antonio. Those are the sort of distances I've been doing this summer. I've even bought a pair of road runners!
Term starts on Monday in Ponferrada. Are you still teaching in that centre for adults?

Gracias, BB.

In Andalusia, lessons start tomorrow at primary school and next Thursday secondary school.

Last year as well as this one I´m a teacher who teaches at the students´home if they have a long time illness, "atención domiciliaria". I teach them Arts subjects such as English, French, Spanish, Geography/History, Religion. I really like the experience although sometimes it can be hard, if the student´s illness gets worse. Fortunately, they usually get better and classes usually make them forget their problems a little.

Good luck with running, swimming, work, etc.

Saludos desde Almería

18-09-2011, 08:35 PM,
Sunday 18th September

This week I´ve done six runs. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 5 km each day. Friday 7 km, Saturday 12 km and today 9 km. Yesterday I happened to meet a friend, Antonio G., when I was coming back from the university and we ran together as far as Zapillo beach where we went for a swim. It was fantastic to swim a little after the run. This morning I phoned Santi to meet at the university sea front where we both went running from opposite directions and then ran together as far as San Miguel beach where we went for a swim. It was wonderful to go for a swim after 9 km in such a beautiful summer day. There were many people sunbathing and swimming both yesterday and today.

I´ve lost another kilo in this last week. I´ve done 45 kilometres in six days.

23-09-2011, 06:26 PM,
Great consistency, Antonio. It's very heartening to see people like you and MLCM, who have had down periods from injury, blossoming again. It gives me encouragement too, for which I thank you.

It reminds me of the main reason for creating a forum, back in 2003. It was the belief that people and their stories (or their "journies" to use the modern shorthand), are as important as all the technical stuff -- the training schedules, methods, the equipment, and the rest of it.

Are you still planning on 'doing Granada' in November? If you put in a good performance there, and manage to maintain your enthusiasm and training regime through to January, I can see your sub-2 target being well within reach. I aim to be there to see it, in any case.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-09-2011, 12:52 PM,
(23-09-2011, 06:26 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Great consistency, Antonio. It's very heartening to see people like you and MLCM, who have had down periods from injury, blossoming again. It gives me encouragement too, for which I thank you.

It reminds me of the main reason for creating a forum, back in 2003. It was the belief that people and their stories (or their "journies" to use the modern shorthand), are as important as all the technical stuff -- the training schedules, methods, the equipment, and the rest of it.

Are you still planning on 'doing Granada' in November? If you put in a good performance there, and manage to maintain your enthusiasm and training regime through to January, I can see your sub-2 target being well within reach. I aim to be there to see it, in any case.

I really thank you,EG, for encouraging me and also for creating this website and inspire us with your wonderful pieces of writing to go on training and trying to reach our aims. Besides, it is fantastic to read so many interesting reports on races, training from other members of this club, which also helps me to go for a run.

I haven´t entered Granada yet. It will depend on how I feel by the end of October.

I hope you can take part in Almería half or 10 km race feeling free of that terrible injury. I wish I could do the half under two hours but if I can´t, I´ll be glad if I can finish my 11th consecutive Almería half marathon. I´ve been very luck not to be injured on that date for so many years.

Best of luck, EG. You deserve to be able to run again in a regular way.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

27-09-2011, 02:35 PM,
Tuesday 27th September

Last week I went for a run only three days doing 5,7 and 5 km each day. I´ve gained some weight reaching 84 kg.

I expect to do more runs this week. Actually, yesterday I did 8 kms going up Avenida del Mediterráneo as far as Hotel Elba past Mediterráneo shopping centre.

27-09-2011, 04:22 PM,
(24-09-2011, 12:52 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Best of luck, EG. You deserve to be able to run again in a regular way.

And so say all of us. Smile

Well done on the regular kilometres, Antonio. I'm starting to put a few miles in too, hopefully that will give me something to put in my diary soon.
28-09-2011, 02:07 PM,
(27-09-2011, 04:22 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(24-09-2011, 12:52 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Best of luck, EG. You deserve to be able to run again in a regular way.

And so say all of us. Smile

Well done on the regular kilometres, Antonio. I'm starting to put a few miles in too, hopefully that will give me something to put in my diary soon.

Gracias, Dan.

Looking forward to reading your diary and reports.

Are you going to do Brighton marathon next year?

Saludos desde Almería