Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feb-bluary 2012
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM by Sweder.)
Feb-bluary 2012
I kicked off a new month with a hilly four miler in a bone-chilling wind tearing in across icy, scoured hills. After a slow start my legs responded, pushing me along at a decent clip. The best part of running a road race is getting back to the downs. The gentle embrace of crisp yet yielding turf feels like a loved one's warm embrace, welcome and welcoming at once.

This is a building month. January produced some decent long runs, a fair effort in Almeria and a temporary plunge off the high, rickety wagon. With limited travel plans and the prospect of some fabulous cold mornings it's all about steady mileage, tougher long runs and controlled shedding of unsightly fat.

Track du jour the incomporable, original ACDC, Down Payment Blues.
Turn it UP.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-02-2012, 12:23 AM,
RE: Feb-bluary 2012
Looks like I'll get my wish for 'tougher long runs'. Snow is falling gently but steadily here tonight. I'm trying to convince myself I'm tired - it's been a challenging week of travel, late nights and more travel, my underlying status is 'knackered' - but in truth I'm wired at the prospect of an early start in blizzard conditions. Might need to unroll the leggings for this one, add a little 'anti-freeze' to the long-run fuel mixture. But what? Brandy? Patron? Of course, none of the above, I'm a committed wagoneer. A dash of Bundaberg Ginger Beer it is then.
Mixologists-R-Us.

05-02-2012, 01:21 PM,
Heart  All White Now
Running doesn't get tougher than this.
Brutal.

13.7 miles, 2:34.
Broken.

05-02-2012, 06:23 PM,
(05-02-2012, 12:23 AM)Sweder Wrote: I'm a committed wagoneer. A dash of Bundaberg Ginger Beer it is then.

Go easy then on that ginger beer OM - it's loaded with significantly more calories than regular beer. Hardly fair, is it?

Your cold snap has made the news here, and it looks fearsome. If you're out running in that lot then that is indeed one tough run. I can't imagine what those hills around your way must be like in such conditions.

Do tell us more!
Run. Just run.
05-02-2012, 10:44 PM,
RE: All White Now
(05-02-2012, 01:21 PM)Sweder Wrote: Running doesn't get tougher than this.
Brutal.

13.7 miles, 2:34.
Broken.

Snap! Mine was 14 miles in 2:30. Although it was flat. But late night, and alone. I'm guessing you had the tougher task.
06-02-2012, 09:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM by Sweder.)
Will write this up later. I'm still traumatised; I've never felt so utterly shattered after a training run.
Yesterday I recovered via a sumptuous Sunday lunch at my favourite pub followed by some driveway clearing and a walk with the dogs. They love this mad white stuff, racing hither & thither, diving into deep drifts & eating the stuff.

During the walk I tuned in to Chelsea v ManU. At 3-0 down I was feeling miserable. United never do well at the Bridge and the thought of EBJT grinning smuggly in the Director's box was causing mental anguish. So, like the sap that I am I offered up a faustaian pledge. Not only in my head but, as if to make it more effective, published it on Twitter. Within minutes United pulled a goal back, girded their loins and threw the kitchen sink at the hosts. 3-3 it ended.

This morning, as frozen fog enwrapped the local hills, I paid up, offering photographic evidence to a trusted arbiter & friend on Twitter. Your thought for the day, therefore, as you set about your week of honest toil, is no matter how desperate the situation, how much you long to turn the world on its head, how delicious the idea of poking John Terry in the eye might be, never, ever, and certainly not in a public forum, offer to run naked in the snow should your wish be fulfilled.

I'm off for a shower ...

06-02-2012, 09:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012, 09:24 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
All I can say is... "You twit!" Dodgy
Run. Just run.
06-02-2012, 10:56 AM,
Not for the first time, Sweder shows us he's got balls.

How long was it, by the way?

(The run, that is.)

And to think that photo is stored on a distant web server somewhere...
06-02-2012, 11:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM by Sweder.)
(06-02-2012, 10:56 AM)marathondan Wrote: Not for the first time, Sweder shows us he's got balls.

You'd need sophisticated enhancement software to see them.
Only a few yards; the wager, whilst rash, was suitably ambiguous. I felt a cheeky (geddit) prance in the garden would be poor form so I nipped up onto the downs early doors and stripped off there, jogging a few tens of metres back and forth until Jack Frost revealed an unhealthy appetite for my nether regions. The freezing fog added a little bite to the occasion.

That picture will cease to exist at lunchtime (or as soon as the arbiter issues acceptance of evidence). Lesson learned.

06-02-2012, 01:41 PM,
No No No!!

First a Spanish beach and now this. Get help man.Angry
06-02-2012, 02:32 PM,
(06-02-2012, 01:41 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: No No No!!

Chill out Winston ... no mankini involved this time but also no-one else around. Thank goodness. All evidence has been removed from t'internet.

06-02-2012, 06:02 PM,
(06-02-2012, 10:56 AM)marathondan Wrote: Not for the first time, Sweder shows us he's got balls.

How long was it, by the way?

Well, given the conditions, you can probably guess. Dodgy
Run. Just run.
07-02-2012, 11:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013, 11:53 AM by Sweder.)
The Big Chill
Sunday: the tale of Captain Oates and his merry, slightly unbalanced men.

I arrived slightly late at the Marina, having spent precious time shovelling copious amounts of overnight snow off my driveway. Lewes lay under a thick white duvet, the town still fast asleep as I tip-toed down the icy hill, hugging the wheel of my 4WD as nervous tyres searched for purchase. Arriving ‘slightly late’ for a Sunday run is like being a ‘little bit’ pregnant; you are, or you are not on time. The main group were o’er the hills and far away when I set off some ten minutes after the appointed hour. No matter. They’d be regrouping, attending ablutions and sorting out distances and routes at Saltdean; I’d time enough to catch up. As last night’s blitzkrieg had advanced seawards heavy snow had turned to sleet. Where inland hills lay smothered in thick white the coastal roads and trails were coated in icey grey slop. I imagined a monstrous shrug of teenagers dumping their collective supersized Slush Puppies as they marauded home from the picture house. A cruel wind snapped out of the east, slapping my face as I plodded on, my gaze drawn to the crazy white horses racing in to fling themselves on the rocks far below.

Lycra Tony and Sam were indeed waiting at Saltdean. I could see them, stood apart from the colourful cluster outside the toilet block. They peered up as I crested the hill, no doubt wondering who this portly latecomer wrapped in glowing vermillion might be. I took care on the descent, mindful that a tumble and subsequent slide would badly bruise my dignity never mind cause actual bodily harm. I rocked up as the guardians grinned their welcome.
‘Where you goin’?’ that low Bulldog growl, a sound that if heard in a dark alley might conjure images of Nancy’s lethal battering at the hands of Bill Sykes.
‘Ah … probably Snake via North Face, Yellow Brick Road’ I puffed. ‘Anyone else doing that?’

Just three, it turned out. Michael who so impressed a fortnight ago and two ‘newbies’ (to me at any rate); Dan and Paul. Minutes later we were scaling the sheer face to the memorial , hamstrings stretching, calves bulging in the ice-cold morning air. Dan was clearly in good shape. He launched up the steep slope without concern, chatting all the way to the top. Across the road and onto the Tye the slush intensified. By the time we’d reached the top we were bounding through a couple of inches of crisp, even snow. I’d run in snow plenty of times, up here too. It always ‘adds a few miles’, the random nature of the drifts causing runners to goose-step like extras from the Ministry of Silly Walks. All those high leg-lifts and sudden heel-drops shredded corpuscles, battered limbs. ‘Running doesn’t get tougher than this’ as John and Greg might say if ever they could haul their burgeoning backsides out of those comfy dining chairs.

<<Top of Telscombe Tye     <<In deep

Thanks to the snow having fallen over night and this still being the ungodly end of Sunday morning we found the trails along the top undisturbed by human hoof. This presented a new challenge. Adopts wildly exaggerated Bee Gees voice ‘How deep is your snow? (how deep, how deep is your snow?), I really need to know ... Aside from a few wisps of long grass peeking out of the virginal blanket there was no clue as to where the best footing might be found. We spent a lot of time and effort weaving across the terrain, feet sniffing out firm ground. Every now and then one of us would plunge knee-deep into a deeper than usual pocket, usually accompanied by a softly uttered ‘fuck’.

We turned right (north) at the North Face gate. After another hundred metres of Guess The Terrain Michael turned back. ‘Sorry guys, I don’t want to turn an ankle out here.’ He would wait for the peleton and carry on directly to the Snake. I was secretly pleased. Michael was by any measure a good deal fitter than I. Dan might be his equal but the last member of our quartet was as breathless and hard-worked as I felt. We’d need to regulate our pace and the balance now favoured the ‘more measured’ in our number. Now we were three, striking out across wide open fields of sparkling white as a watery sun did its meagre best to bore through the heavy, dirty cloud. In the distance Lewes lurked dark and moody, the twin lung-shaped cliff faces off-white against the snowscape.

As the North Face loomed our trail-finding became easier, the precipitous drop to our left and spiteful thorn bushes to the right funnelling us onto the one true course. No sling-shot attempt today; one wrong step and a fool would soon find himself with a face full of brambles. Slow and steady was the order of the day, though I’m pleased to say I managed to keep running – in the loosest possible sense – all the way to the top. The Yellow Brick Road, displaying none of it’s eponymous qualities, was equally untrammelled, the white crust surprisingly of the deep-pan variety. We took to the grassy edges, any foray onto the road itself providing calf-deep sinkage . By the end of that I was sucking wind for England, hamstrings screaming, hips aching. Paul was similarly distressed but Dan, the smug bastard, looked fresh as a Daisy.
‘Shall we press on lads?’ Yes. Let’s.

<<North Face summit     <<View from the YBR

Press on we did, across the tops of the W, heading west. My plan had been to drop down into Death Valley and double back to the Snake. I say had been because now, running along the fence line high above Kingston Village, I realised the valley might – ha ha! - be the very death of us. How much snow had gathered down there? If we risked the treacherous 150 metre drop to find out and it was neck deep we’d have to slog all the way back up. It was too much for my wire-tight sinews, never mind my pounding heart, to bear.

‘Chaps I think we ought to stay on this level, carry on past Castle Hill up to Woodingdean. It’ll drop a couple of miles off the route but frankly I’ve no idea what’s down there and besides, I’m mullered.’

The others seem to appreciate the sentiment and we pushed on. High winds had driven the snow up against the fence, creating a miniature Persil Sahara. These frosted dunes swept down from left to right, laying a series of hurdles across the usually stony path. Every now and then I’d plant a foot and hear/ feel the crack of yielding ice followed by a cold, wet sensation around my toes. This part of the route was peppered with craters, Nature’s landmines hidden beneath the snow.

<<Saharan drift

At the top of the last up-stroke of the W the trail turns left, heading up, up, ever up towards the summit at Woodingdean. The snow evened out at this point. This should have helped, yet somehow it was now uniformly knee-deep. We strode on manfully, wading with impossibly long-legged strides, arms akimbo for balance, belching hot breath with steam rising from our hunched shoulders. We must have looked absurd but image was the last thing on my mind. Getting off these hills before the dark clouds swallowed our wretched, spent carcasses was very much to the fore. Hips, knees, thighs, ankles wailed in unison, threatening rebellion. By the time we’d reached the relative safety of East Brighton Park it was all I could do to stand, to keep moving forward. My legs were tighter than Captain Tom on a lads’ night out, stiff, movements truncated, mechanical, as my eyes scanned the trails for shallow/safe footing. No balls-out plummet today my friends, I survived that long descent back to civilisation, the tension in my chest easing even as crisp snow gave way to slippery slush.

13.7 miles completed in 2 heartless hours and 34 unforgiving minutes. I felt like I’d run an Ultra. I was broken in the deepest way. It's rare I ever feel like giving up, especially on a training run, but that couple of kilometres from the top of the YBR to the road at Woodingdean were way beyond tough. The main difference was the lack of man-made trails. The few footprints we did see were dark holes into which we dare not tread. We regrouped at the marina, meeting up with a couple of girls who’d completed the ‘straight snake’ route. Their blanched, blank faces stared into the middle distance, breathing shallow, slowing. Wan smiles and gentle congratulations exchanged we bade each other good day and set off for our respective homes. I imagined piping hot showers firing up all at once, collective sighs drifting on plumes of steam to dance away across the frozen downs.

I sent a text home to make sure the water heater was switched on.
‘Fail to prepare’ and all that.

Below: What I was thinking about for most of the run; shot of Lewes castle above the Paddock, popular town centre sledging site (pic by @RobkRead via Twitter)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-02-2012, 10:50 PM,
Strewth mate, "brutal" doesn't tell the half of it. Wading through knee-deep drifts? Two and a half hours is bloody amazing. One that will linger in the memory, methinks.
08-02-2012, 11:04 AM,
That really is a great effort young man.

I tend to think that there are no breakthrough runs in this sport. No corners turned. It's about gradual, measured progress and consistency. But then some runs will stick in your mind and those memories become almost emblematic.

In this case of GRIT. Which you seem to have in spades.
08-02-2012, 05:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM by Sweder.)
Popped out on Tuesday for a very short sharp shock over the local hills. My legs sang (out of tune, certainly) but carried me over 5 kilometres easily enough. As recovery runs go it served its purpose, though I'll have to venture a little further tomorrow to stretch the sinews properly.

What are others doing in these testing conditions? I visited my Mum a little further north today and their snow had melted away. Not so round our way. We have a combination of rather crusty, deep stuff on the hills and compact, polished neck-breaker on the pavements. Running is therefore either extremely taxing (sorry 'Arry) or virtually impossible. I'm thinking of heading to Brighton Seafront tomorrow for the first of my planned long flat boring road runs *sigh*. Podcast: ready ...

08-02-2012, 10:59 PM,
(08-02-2012, 05:09 PM)Sweder Wrote: What are others doing in these testing conditions?

Well as it happens I have a day off today. Thinking of heading out to the beach...

It's 26C here. Very testing. Confused
Run. Just run.
09-02-2012, 07:31 AM,
(08-02-2012, 05:09 PM)Sweder Wrote: What are others doing in these testing conditions?

Intervals alongside the Basingstoke canal yesterday lunchtime. It's fully frozen over. Towpath in good condition though.
09-02-2012, 09:45 AM,

Mountain biking to work. I'm rubbish on a mountain bike, so inching down pack-horse trails full of ice, snow and mud, in the dark, is proving rather testing. Although I haven't come off yet. I like running in snow but when it keeps melting and refreezing into black ice I suspect you need more than Norman Walshes. Something with metal studs no doubt. Leeds-Liverpool canal is also solid. All this lazing around in the sun won't do your running any good MLCM. Grrrrr Angry
09-02-2012, 11:59 AM,
(09-02-2012, 09:45 AM)glaconman Wrote: All this lazing around in the sun won't do your running any good MLCM. Grrrrr Angry

Damn right - I got sun-burned today, but not before putting in a 19.7km jaunt around the local, sweltering streets. Which sort of makes amends, eh?
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December 2012 Sweder 37 24,498 31-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Movember 2012 Sweder 38 19,367 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  Stoptober 2012 Sweder 70 51,529 31-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  July 2012 Sweder 15 10,858 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  June 2012 Sweder 12 9,318 30-06-2012, 08:11 AM