Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April 2012
15-04-2012, 08:47 PM,
RE: April 2012
Easy to forget me, EG, for I fear I spend more time with twitterings and less with this more intellectually satisfying group.
I look forward to our hero's account. I may say a few words on my blog.
One thing, though: I think I shall concentrate my future energies on less popular, commercial events
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

16-04-2012, 02:37 AM,
Nice work Tom!
Run. Just run.
16-04-2012, 07:27 AM,
One mystery solved at least. On inspection of my Garmin data I appear to have 'lost' vital minutes at mile 22 (much more of that later). There's no disputing the official time and I shall stick with that. All others I've checked with report no major timing discrepancies. C'est la vie. My consolation lies in the breaking of four hours in home soil against the odds.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-04-2012, 07:31 AM,
(16-04-2012, 07:27 AM)Sweder Wrote: One mystery solved at least. On inspection of my Garmin data I appear to have 'lost' vital minutes at mile 22 (much more of that later). There's no disputing the official time and I shall stick with that.

Sub 4 hours for an old, crippled, fat bloke on inadequate training though ... wow! Still massively impressive!

Run. Just run.
16-04-2012, 08:03 AM,
Yes your stated goal was a UK sub 4, so I think it's mission gloriously accomplished.

We await the tale of mile 22... Smile
16-04-2012, 08:07 AM,
(15-04-2012, 08:47 PM)tomroper Wrote: One thing, though: I think I shall concentrate my future energies on less popular, commercial events

I suppose the organisers can take it as a compliment that in only three years they've developed the event to a size where you no longer want to participate.

"Well team, it looks like we've reached the 'Too Big For Tom' threshold."
16-04-2012, 04:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-04-2012, 12:05 PM by Sweder.)
Today marks three years since Chris Moyle passed away. I know, I know, doesn't seem possible it can be three years does it?

The moment was marked by myself, Chris's sister Camilla and the two Antonios with a small, informal ceremony at the place where Chris's ashes were scattered, near the top of the snake. Cam lay some red roses and I tied a purple ribbon high in the gorse bush to identify the place for passing runners who knew Moyleman. The men from Andalusia took several photos as they warmly admired the beauty and tranquility of this special place amongst the hills.

Afterwards we three enjoyed a quiet, reflective afternoon at Brighton marina, trading fond memories and reflections on a weekend of hard running.

I was somewhat premature yesterday not only in claiming my own PB but also Cam's. She reminded me that she has a 3:36 to her name from some years ago. Her aim is to crack 3:30, and based on what I saw yesterday that's well within her compass. I missed out by a full 40 seconds, my official Paris time being 3:52:08 (I had to dig out the certificate). Ah, if only I'd run that 4th Blackcap circuit last month eh? Heh heh.

What a lark this running game is.

17-04-2012, 09:11 PM,
(16-04-2012, 08:07 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(15-04-2012, 08:47 PM)tomroper Wrote: One thing, though: I think I shall concentrate my future energies on less popular, commercial events

I suppose the organisers can take it as a compliment that in only three years they've developed the event to a size where you no longer want to participate.

"Well team, it looks like we've reached the 'Too Big For Tom' threshold."

The growthfulness is terrific. And yes, they've done awfully well. But I'm not sure I want to run up and down New Church Street like a laboratory rat in a maze. I had a message from Fate in the form of a leaflet for the Three Forts tucked under my windscreen wiper. I think this will be next year's marathon.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

17-04-2012, 09:28 PM,
Tom neglects to mention that he's posted a race report here.

Three Forts looks like a monster, Tom - I salute you.
18-04-2012, 05:23 AM,
Steady on, I haven't done it yet, Dan. This year's running is on 6 May and I shall do it in 2013, D.V.
Good to know Moyleman's memory was honoured in proper style
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

18-04-2012, 09:15 AM,
PPP
18-04-2012, 01:24 PM,
I've done the three forts half and can vouchsafe for the quality of the course. It offers many of the challenges and some of the actual trails of the Steyning Stinger. I concurr with Tom on the wretched out-and-back nature and plain hardness of the Brighton course, of which more later.

The event is hugely successful but the route is, by any measure, unimaginative and in part two, horribly repetitive.

18-04-2012, 01:57 PM,
Congratulations, Sweder, Cam and Tom!

It was fantastic to meet you,Sweder and Cam on Monday. Thank you very much again for all.

19-04-2012, 10:24 PM,
(16-04-2012, 04:40 PM)Sweder Wrote: Today marks three years since Chris Moyle passed away. I know, I know, doesn't seem possible it can be three years does it?

The moment was marked by myself, Chris's sister Camilla and the two Antonios with a small, informal ceremony at the place where Chris's ashes were scattered, near the top of the snake. Cam lay some red roses and I tied a purple ribbon high in the gorse bush to identify the place for passing runners who knew Moyleman. The men from Andalusia took several photos as they warmly admired the beauty and tranquility of this special place amongst the hills.

Afterwards we three enjoyed a quiet, reflective afternoon at Brighton marina, trading fond memories and reflections on a weekend of hard running.

I was somewhat premature yesterday not only in claiming my own PB but also Cam's. She reminded me that she has a 3:36 to her name from some years ago. Her aim is to crack 3:30, and based on what I saw yesterday that's well within her compass. I missed out by a full 40 seconds, my official Paris time being 3:52:08 (I had to dig out the certificate). Ah, if only I'd run that 4th Blackcap circuit last month eh? Heh heh.

What a lark this running game is.

Nice to read about the ceremony for Chris, and attendance of the Antonios. Not much to add really that hasn't already been said. I didn't know Moyleman very well -- I think we met only 4, perhaps 5 times (though that did include an Almeria) but it was still poignant having Cam along to Almeria this year and being able to have a natter about her brother.

As for the mystery PB, I was pretty sure that the Brighton time was borderline. I had the time of 3:50 in my head from Paris as I've heard you say a few times that you were looking for a 3:45 sometime to dip under your Paris effort. But anyway, commiserations are NOT in order here. Still a great time, considering the yet-to-be-revealed difficulties you had towards the end.

This weekend is the Zurich Marathon. I have potent memories of doing the race 6 years ago, but like Brighton it's largely an out-and-back, and am not sure just how thrilling the thought of attempting it again someday really is. On race day I can actually see the ant-like runners making their painful way along the other side of the lake from my sitting room window. This year, if I can drag myself away from the London Marathon on TV, I'll jump on the ferry and get over there to give them a clap.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-04-2012, 11:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012, 11:12 AM by Sweder.)
I'm not looking for commiserations for running sub 3:53, far from it. 3:45 was my target when I entered a year ago but hopes of that had died long before the Ides of March ... *removed so as not to spoil race report*

The tale's almost ready for the telling. I've decided to write it sat in a portable chair on the London Marathon route this Sunday morning as I wait for the first glimpse of the leaders cruising along the Highway. Seems like a fitting spot to nail the piece. Should be up by Monday.

23-04-2012, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012, 11:50 AM by Sweder.)
Why Do We Run Marathons?
The reasons are many and varied, but much of it has to do with life affirmation, closure and 'recalibration of our souls' says this excellent piece in the Gruaniad.

Thanks to Peter Ward for pointing this out.

23-04-2012, 11:49 AM,
RE: Why Do We Run Marathons?
(23-04-2012, 07:49 AM)Sweder Wrote: The reasons are many and varied, but much of it has to do with lice affirmation, closure and 'recalibration of our souls' says this excellent piece in the Telegraph.

Thanks to Peter Ward for pointing this out.

The Guardian, I think? And the Grauniad would love your "lice affirmation". Big Grin

But agreed, excellent piece. It's all been said before -- often by us here -- but still nicely written. Worth reading.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-04-2012, 11:51 AM,
The perils of writing pieces, however short, on tiny touch screen phones I'm afraid.
The Telegraph faux pas was simply lack of sleep.

28-04-2012, 11:30 AM,
Popped out for a gentle plod on Thursday morning. Felt pretty chipper, calves still a little sore. I'm reffing on Sunday but otherwise planning a few light runs next week. I'm also thinking of a sports massage, perhaps with Bridge, to help repair any deep-lying damage. I'd like to get back to the long Sunday runs sooner rather than later.

I'm toying with entering the Jog Shop Jog and Beachy Head marathon this year - very much depends on travel schedule in September though as I'd really like a solid month of hill running beforehand. Also received an e-mail from Old Mutual reminding me it's now time to enter the Two Oceans next year. They had a really wet one this time around, pictures look amazing. Financially it's well out of reach but if circumstances change I can defer Brighton till 2014. I really want to go back to Cape Town and as luck would have it my Brighton time qualifies for the Ultra. There's unfinished business in the hills of Chapman's Peake ...

02-05-2012, 12:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM by Sweder.)
Who's The W*nker In The Black?
My first meaningful outing of any time or distance since Brighton occurred on Sunday. Rather like aspects of MarathonDan's training my route took me around a looped circuit, a confined area of grass. Or, to be more accurate, all over a patch of something that started out as grass but ended up a quagmire.

I may have mentioned briefly that I'd agreed to referee a veteran's match at the Dripping Pan. The regular season closed on Saturday with the Rooks bagging a strong 4-2 victory over Harrow Borough, only to see their play-off hopes dashed by results elsewhere. At halftime the all-conquering Rookettes paraded their trophies, a league and cup double. The ladies finished unbeaten in the league, 15 points clear of nearest rivals Enfield Town before stomping Eastbourne Town 3-0 on a filthy night in March to lift the Ryman League Cup. They have been simply magnificent. We're all off to the Town Hall tonight where the Mayor of Lewes will honour the players and staff with a gala reception.

[Image: 564173_3562223328284_1053853244_3220531_...1393_n.jpg]
Super Rookettes with The Rookmeister

Sunday morning arrived on the back of a monsoon. Rain lashed the town, dark skies swirling in from the north to dump a month's worth of water on our heads. This must be the worst drought in living memory. Amazon have sold out of 'Ark Building for Dummies'. Pah.

I drove off to the Pan for the pitch inspection at 10:00. Shiny eyes peered out from the dressing rooms as I strode past the clubhouse. The pitch looked OK, a few puddles here and there. My worry was, with rain persisting down, we'd soon be in a waterlogged situation, potentially dangerous. I met the club officials and they made it clear it was my call. The turf is being scraped up and relaid in the closed season in any case. I decided a strong word with the captains and a few early blasts on the whistle would take care of health & safety.

I found Peter, team captain, who explained the format for the tournament. Sorry? I thought you said 'tournament' ...
Yes. FOUR teams, matches drawn by lot, each playing 30 minutes (15 each way). If scores are level after 30 minutes matches decided by penalty shoot-out. Winners play in the final, losers for 3rd/ 4th place. Eleven-a-side, full pitch. Got it?

I wasn't too concerned. Most of the 'veterans' were balding or grey-headed, slightly rounded people, with a good deal more enthusiasm than energy. Hopefully. I survived without upsetting anyone, too much. I could have issued a yellow card for a dive that even Ashley Young might have thought twice about. Instead I did my best Howard Webb, jogging up to the floudering drama queen (he'd cried out as he'd arched his back, curling up like one of those Christmas cracker magic fish), waving for him to get up before wheeling away to the centre circle whilst chiding him loudly. 'Nice one Tom Daly, up you get son'.

Otherwise it was a case of making sure the series of comical coming-togethers amidst great plumes of muddy water didn't result in serious injury. The play was combative yet mutually respectful, a far cry from the appalling theatrics invading our living rooms every Saturday night. Plenty of skill too, when the rapidly developing bog didn't intervene to stifle a defence-splitting pass.

I'd ref'd match one in my Almeria finisher's top, a fabulous luminescent orangey-pink number. Much to my chagrin teams three and four entered the increasingly wet, ploughed-up field with one side decked out in full Netherlands kit. Bugger, I'd been Tango'd. Luckily I'd brought a black top. It was nice to get into a dry shirt for thirty seconds.

[Image: Arz92exCIAAP8nV.jpg]
The winning goal in the exciting 2nd semi-final penalty shoot-out. Stripes won it 4-2 after a 1-1 draw in normal time

When I called time on the last place decider we'd seen a riveting penalty shoot-out, a 2-0 final win for the host team and the best own goal I've ever witnessed in the flesh. Determined to keep up with play at all times, even in the last match when frankly I could happily have circumnavigated a dustbin lid in the centre circle, I raced after a particularly swift counter attack late on, water and mud splashing up over my knees. The beleagured, somewhat portly, full back attempted to pass back to his keeper. He managed to scoop the ball into the air exactly like Ramirez bearing down on Casillas, lobbing the stranded stopper perfectly from 18 yards, the ball sailing serenely into the unguarded net as the attacking players pulled up, shaking their heads in wonder. I put my arm around the hapless defender. 'Bad luck mate, that was an absolute peach' I offered gently. He looked up at me with the saddest eyes I've ever seen.
'You sure I wasn't offside ref?'
It was, sadly, the only goal of the game.

I used my Garmin as a time piece so happily I now have some interesting data to play with. 16.60 kilometres covered over the four matches, 2 hours 42 minutes of active time (in a three hour period). I ended up, happy and knackered, supping a pint of post-shower Guinness with the players in the Rook Inn. Using the referee's room was quite a thing. I left it a good deal muddier than I found it.

Below: my route around the pitch during the matches. I clearly can't spell 'Milky Bar Kid'.
These are the two halves of each of the first match. Note the penalty shoot out on the last image - far right of the 'map'.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  April 2017. Sweder 9 3,138 27-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  April Sweder 14 9,185 29-04-2016, 07:10 AM
  April 2014 Sweder 35 21,170 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  April 2013 Sweder 10 7,330 26-04-2013, 10:32 PM