Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off season 2012
31-07-2012, 10:55 AM,
Off season 2012
I've created a new thread just for housekeeping purposes really. There's very little going on, and that will probably continue until the start of the next marathon campaign.

I almost posted an update a couple of weeks ago, to try and motivate myself to run more. I didn't post it, and I didn't run more. Correlation does not imply causality. Not always, anyway.

So, there's been a high level of sporting inactivity from me this summer, even by my normal standards. The bike has remained in the shed, abetted by an infuriating puncture that I've had about half a dozen attempts to repair, but can never quite summon the motivation to deal with properly. The wetsuit has spent its second consecutive summer at the bottom of the wardrobe, and the pool sessions have been nil.

The real reason for this is that at the end of May, just as I was ready to dust off the runners, I was thrown an opportunity to do a bit of amateur website programming. I love tinkering with this stuff, and getting the thing up and running has become my main hobby / minor obsession for a couple of months. Sometimes an itch comes along that you just have to scratch.

I've said before that I don't have the commitment, or probably the biomechanics either, to be a serious runner all year round. 6 months a year is enough for me. So I make no apologies really. It means of course that in the long term my performance will gradually slide rather than stablising or even improving, but I can accept that.

Another factor has cropped up. Turns out I've been carrying a hernia for several months. (Yes, including during the marathon.) It's not causing me the slightest of problems, but I need to get it repaired. Surgery is booked for early September. The word so far is no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks afterwards. Even if, in the worst case, I had to leave it 3 months before resuming training, that would take me to early December, which wouldn't be too late to hit the streets for a spring marathon. There's a chance I might be forced to skip a year of course, but it looks positive so far. Anyway, it's a new type of injury to blog about.

Fortunately, no spring marathon is currently booked. Assuming things look OK medically, I'll probably have a crack at Worcester or Milton Keynes. Big fancy dress ideas are afoot, but again no point committing to anything until I know I'll be fit to train.

And running? Little more than 26 miles to my name since I crossed the line in London. It would of course make sense to put down some regular miles before my enforced layoff. Otherwise I'll be coming back from over 6 months of virtual inactivity. Then again, I've still got a long list of bug fixes to work through...
27-09-2012, 11:46 AM,
RE: Off season 2012
Just a quick update while I'm hanging around the other forums. I went under the knife three weeks ago; everything went completely to plan and the healing process is progressing nicely. Even basic activities such as walking and bending are still causing soreness, so it will be a long and slow process to get back to full activity levels. I'll see the doc in another three weeks and get his advice on when to restart running, and indeed whether it would be silly to try a marathon next year. (I hope not - although if I do run, I will make it as silly as possible.)

Of course I'm champing at the bit now - all the other training diaries are buzzing, the weather is turning interesting, and with the ever-changing dynamics of family life I find myself at present with a little bit more time on my hands in the evenings (don't know how long that will last). So I would love to be out there enjoying the wet grass and weak sunshine, but sometimes you just gotta not do what you gotta not do.

As alluded to in BB's thread, I didn't make any progress on my swimming this summer. Or cycling, actually. I put both of those mainly down to the post-marathon blues, and my total loss of motivation to achieve anything once I've crossed that finish line. I am wondering therefore, if I really do want to progress in these other disciplines, whether I need to skip the marathon for a year. We'll see. I suppose also I shouldn't make the mistake of offering to build a website next summer - maybe that was the problem. I've been reading the progress of Lazy Girl with interest - she too is transitioning from marathon runner to triathlete, with the minor difference that she's done something about it. Back to basics swimming coaching seems to be making the difference - I should know by now that there are no easy answers in endurance sport, just hard work.

Anyway, keep up the good work everyone else! I'll be back out there eventually.
27-09-2012, 08:15 PM,
I'm very glad your surgery went well, Dan.

I hope you get better son and can go back to training even if it means going for a run in the dark and maybe aim for a marathon in spring. I read in your previous report that you might do Worcester. I liked the race and the rural course last year. Besides, you can decide to change your mind in the race and do the half instead of the full marathon or vice versa, which usually it is more unusual.

Saludos desde Almería.

27-09-2012, 11:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012, 12:16 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Dan, do it. It won't get any easier next year - each year we get older, it gets a little harder to find the motivation, but the graph of regret is exponential. Don't let it get away from you.

Give the hernia wound every chance to heal properly, but then get cracking. The motivation will follow for certain.

Uncle MLCMM.

“You only ever grow as a human being if you’re outside your comfort zone.” -Percy Cerutty
Run. Just run.
28-09-2012, 12:14 AM,
Glad the op went well. The marathon takes so much out, mentally as well as physically, it's hard to imagine running on through the year. Moyleman used to, but I've always taken a break of sorts. This getting back into it lark is tedious, yet it also feels like a right of passage, a pre-trial before the real training begins. In a perverse way I quite like it. As my legs and lungs get reacquainted with seemingly unreasonable demands my hopes and aspirations rise, enthusiasm rekindled as legs loosen and thoughts of races swim up from the deep.

Wise words on the triathlon front. I met an old pal at the recent Brighton v Lewes ladies match. He'd just completed his first Iron Man (a week ago) and complained of 'fatigue'. I laughed in his face, then pondered what he'd achieved. The 2.4 mile swim alone would see me done, floating face down in a pool of tears. He trained by swimming between the piers in Brighton, and swimming from the piers to the Marina and back. In the ocean. Christ.

If I'm to go down this route - it's an unthinkable 'if' at the moment - your 'back to basics' reference will be to the fore. Tom Roper has been taking lessons to improve (develop a) technique in the water. Seems like a very good idea to me.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-09-2012, 07:00 AM,
(28-09-2012, 12:14 AM)Sweder Wrote: I met an old pal at the recent Brighton v Lewes ladies match. He'd just completed his first Iron Man (a week ago) and complained of 'fatigue'. I laughed in his face, then pondered what he'd achieved. The 2.4 mile swim alone would see me done, floating face down in a pool of tears. He trained by swimming between the piers in Brighton, and swimming from the piers to the Marina and back. In the ocean. Christ.

Please, tell us more about this fellow, ring him up, get him on here.....
28-09-2012, 07:30 AM,
(28-09-2012, 07:00 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Please, tell us more about this fellow, ring him up, get him on here.....

I would, only he told me that The Lord helped him finish.
I'm not sure we're that well matched.

28-09-2012, 07:31 AM,
(28-09-2012, 07:30 AM)Sweder Wrote: I would, only he told me that The Lord helped him finish.

Isn't that cheating? No outside assistance!
Run. Just run.
28-09-2012, 10:17 AM,
(28-09-2012, 07:31 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(28-09-2012, 07:30 AM)Sweder Wrote: I would, only he told me that The Lord helped him finish.

Isn't that cheating? No outside assistance!

Having felt Rog's healing hands on the road to Two Oceans I can't offer objective comment on that. I think we each carry our own Running deity with us on those big ones. Not all can be found in the holy scriptures, but I'll wager there won't be many of us who haven't appealed to an ethereal force to get us through the toughest times on the road. I talk to Moyley quite a bit when I hit the really hard yards.

28-09-2012, 12:39 PM,
I think a full Ironman is beyond the reach of normal mortals, unless they're prepared to throw vast amounts of time and money at it. Even the longest marathon training session can be completed by coffee time on a Sunday morning, but I imagine in the latter stages of Ironman training you've got to be looking at a few 8-10 hour sessions. And the £50 eBay banger bike isn't going to cut it over 112 miles, not within one day anyway. I did have a plan to get from zero to half ironman in 5 years. Two summers have passed now with no real progress. Time to decide this year whether I'm serious about that or not. Maybe I'll mull it over while I'm making my giant chicken costume.
28-09-2012, 12:55 PM,
Dan;

Take a good bottle of claret into the drawing room. The feeling will pass.

You're a well-rounded young man. Best to keep it that way.

Hope the recovery goes well and you're back into the groove soon.
29-09-2012, 03:09 PM,
I feel that a half ironman isn't an insane prospect. It seems that each of the three events is roughly equivalent to a half marathon, but with the advantage that they work different muscle groups. So it feels like a similar level of challenge to, say, the Connemara ultra. Not to be taken lightly, but not beyond the realms of possibility. Maybe I've got my rose-tinted swim goggles / cycling shades on though.
03-11-2012, 04:43 PM,
Back on the road!

Well, off it mostly, but you know what I mean.

The doc signed me off last week so I've resumed some general plodding. Three three milers to the good this week, each 50/50 grass/tarmac. I need a solid month of that before I think about any increases in distance, or use of a stopwatch. Post-run stretching will also be compulsory. My former mantra was that while I wasn't getting injured, I wouldn't bother stretching. Well, as of last season, I'm getting injured - so it's no longer negotiable.

As this is a fresh start, I'll try and get into some good technique habits - good stance, shorter strides, front foot landing. Today I measured my cadence for the first time. At what I thought was a fast footfall, certainly faster than my usual one, it came in at 160. After 3 more attempts, the last of which felt pretty silly, I'd got it up to 170. The funny thing was, as soon as the time trial ended, I relaxed into my old tempo. It will take a while for this to feel natural. It's all good, though.
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM,
I'm very glad you can go for a run again, Dan. Take it easy at the beginning!

Best of luck!

04-11-2012, 07:08 PM,
(03-11-2012, 04:43 PM)marathondan Wrote: Back on the road!

Well, off it mostly, but you know what I mean.

The doc signed me off last week so I've resumed some general plodding. Three three milers to the good this week, each 50/50 grass/tarmac. I need a solid month of that before I think about any increases in distance, or use of a stopwatch. Post-run stretching will also be compulsory. My former mantra was that while I wasn't getting injured, I wouldn't bother stretching. Well, as of last season, I'm getting injured - so it's no longer negotiable.

As this is a fresh start, I'll try and get into some good technique habits - good stance, shorter strides, front foot landing. Today I measured my cadence for the first time. At what I thought was a fast footfall, certainly faster than my usual one, it came in at 160. After 3 more attempts, the last of which felt pretty silly, I'd got it up to 170. The funny thing was, as soon as the time trial ended, I relaxed into my old tempo. It will take a while for this to feel natural. It's all good, though.

Good news Dan. Did you get my mail about the Chi Running videos on my shared Dropbox? You sound like the ideal candidate -- posture, shorter strides, hmm... midfoot landing, and increased cadence. The required, or at least recommended, tempo in Chi Running is 180. You'll appreciate the trouble I'm having with that. Like you, I'm also usually in the 155-160 area.

I am delighted to report that I have never felt the slightest twinge of a desire to do a triathlon of any kind, never mind an Ironman.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-11-2012, 10:04 PM,
Yes I did get it - many thanks. I will get around to watching, although I have a lot to listen to right now as well!

Yes, I can imagine you mincing along the trail like a ballet dancer, trying to get your cadence up to 180. I should point out that 160 was when I was trying; normally I should think it's considerably slower.

One thing occurred to me - yes, increasing your cadence reduces the impact of each stride. But increasing your cadence by 20% also increases the number of footfalls by 20%. Does this result in an overall reduction in impact? I assume the biomechanics boffins have thought this one through.
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM,
Increasing your cadence also reduces the amount of rest your muscles get between strides. There may be an optimum length of rest time; but should this be the same for everybody? Perhaps setting an absolute value regarding cadence is unrealistic.
05-11-2012, 03:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM by Sweder.)
Agree with G-man there. My suspicion is that the body finds the optimum cadence for recovery when you are running at resting pace, or not pushing it as I think of it. I've consciously changed my foot-strike in long races when I get horribly tired, more to stave off cramp and distract my wailing limbs than anything else.

It would be interesting to measure barefoot v regular shoe cadence. I'd expect these to differ, with barefoot being the higher rate/ shorter stride.

And, may I say, welcome back.

05-11-2012, 07:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM by El Gordo.)
I'm no expert, and anyway, even the experts disagree vehemently on these matters.

But I would just say that Chi Running is geared towards not using the legs much at all. A weird statement re running, I know, but the idea is that the legs are there to support the body rather than to power the body forward. When you lean forward, the body creates its own momentum that the legs follow. So i suspect they would downplay the point about increased leg muscle usage. With longer strides, the natural tendency is to land on your heels, so short strides are preferred as you naturally fall mid- or front-foot.

I don't really know what is natural cadence and natural gait. My natural gait SEEMS to be the heel striking and over-pronation that has caused me problems, though of course we all read that our bodies are not designed to do that at all. (Obviously footwear is a factor.)

Must dash to work....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-11-2012, 09:34 AM,
(05-11-2012, 07:28 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Must dash to work....

Ah, I see what you did there EG, and a timely reminder that this month is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movember

After 5 days mine's appalling. Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Off Season 2018-19 marathondan 11 3,008 20-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Off-season 2015 marathondan 42 29,108 18-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  April 2012 marathondan 55 50,610 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  March 2012 marathondan 22 27,757 29-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  February 2012 marathondan 48 47,766 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM