Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off season 2012
07-11-2012, 01:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM by marathondan.)
RE: Off season 2012
Another high-cadence mince in the bag, this time along the canal. Temperate autumn conditions, ferns in transition from green to gold, just cool enough to raise a gentle cloud of steam from my brow when I stopped - a perfect day for it.

This time I engaged full ballerina-step mode from the off, and it felt much more natural. I can definitely feel the footfall on the mid-foot without having to try. After a little while I did a time test, and registered 174 - quite happy with that right now.

I haven't mastered the art of running without using my legs yet - it still seems quite hard work, and a bit stilted. But I have to remember that I'm also well down on fitness.

Quite exciting to be trying something new.
07-11-2012, 08:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Sounds like it could be appropriate training for wearing a tutu in your next marathon, Dan. Got to be easier than a rhino costume.
Run. Just run.
12-11-2012, 10:06 AM,
Another short one round the field last night, without head torch or any significant moonlight, but featuring this season's first encounter with the hound of the Baskervilles. He seems friendly enough - assuming that running behind me panting loudly is a sign of affection. The owner was a dim silhouette not too far away, unconcerned about any distress the mutt might be causing. Keeps things interesting, though. Cadence spot check: 168.
12-11-2012, 01:10 PM,
Yea haa. Nice to see you beginning to get into the groove.

Generally I think dogs are better when you're not running. And I often slow down to be on the safe side. But they're on odd bunch, mutts. I'm picturing an Irish Wolfhound.
12-11-2012, 01:28 PM,
It's always too dark to see exactly what breed it is. Which adds to the frisson somewhat. Looks something like a boxer.
18-12-2012, 06:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-12-2012, 06:10 PM by marathondan.)
OK, bit of a change of plan.

November was going very well - three short runs per week being logged, the ideal return from six months of very little running, and ready to gently step up a gear. Then various stuff happened, and suddenly there were three blank weeks on the spreadsheet. Also I went for a beer with an old mate who completed his first half ironman this summer (at the second attempt, and he's notably more athletic than me). The thought re-occurred to me that I'm never going to manage a debut triathlon and a marathon in the same year. It may not sound a big ask, but I just don't have the time, or frankly the will. I'd need to work on both my swimming and my cycling, and I can't do that on top of marathon training. Post-marathon I just like to chill for a month or two, AND even if I did said brushing-up, it would be too late for the open-water swimming season, and the skills would languish until the following summer. When I would again be in post-marathon chill mode.

So there's only one thing for it - drop the marathon this year and do an Olympic distance tri instead. Olympic distance (1500m + 40K + 10K) is enough of a challenge to make up for the lost marathon I think. I've set myself the arbritary goal of completing a half ironman (1900m + 90K + 21.1K) by 2016. I may decide that I don't want to do that after all, but I won't know unless I try this. I'm not even sure I like the idea. But it's one of those nagging challenges (you know, like running a marathon dressed as a gorilla) that won't go away until I at least try it.

So, swim lessons are booked at the local pool from January. Over the Xmas break I'll dust off the rusty steed. The training will be simple. Speed will not be the goal. Less is more, even in multi-sport.

Meanwhile, I do have a run to report. I'm catching a bit of winter sun in Sharjah again (Dubai's less brash, and alcohol-free, neighbour). With nothing much to do except eat and work, I managed my traditional 4 miles around the Khalid lagoon. This was the first time I'd tried the high cadence on a hard surface, and it felt very good. However, even with the evening air in the low 20s, I shamefully barely broke sweat, indicating either that I'm retaining a remarkable level of marathon fitness, or that this new form is causing me to run a lot slower. Still haven't used a stopwatch to find out yet.

Anyway, I have no need to run further than 10K for the next year! Which is slightly sad. Might have to throw in the odd crafty Half to compensate.
18-12-2012, 10:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-12-2012, 10:30 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(18-12-2012, 06:08 PM)marathondan Wrote: I'm catching a bit of winter sun in Sharjah again (Dubai's less brash, and alcohol-free neighbour).

Good God man, what's come over you? Explain yourself! You can't just throw a comment in like that without explanation!

Other than that, well done etc. All sounds fine. Rather worrying you being in boozeless Sharhah though.

Sad
Run. Just run.
19-12-2012, 08:52 AM,
The odd crafty half ... Like it.
Impressed by your commitment to the triathlon. If I'm honest I'm unlikely to go that route due to my brick-like swimming technique. Looking forward to hearing more about the lessons.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-12-2012, 03:26 PM,
(18-12-2012, 10:29 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Good God man, what's come over you? Explain yourself! You can't just throw a comment in like that without explanation!

It's actually quite beneficial for a solo work trip. There's no temptation to sit in a bar and sink a medicinal pint or 5, and I can remain able to do some useful things in the evening, such as go for a run or post on here (or even, shudder, work). After a couple of evening forays around the streets, I'm starting to quite like the well-behaved atmosphere - everyone is talking quietly, children are behaving, there are no lairy groups of young drunken adults (of either gender) and no semi-nudity (of either gender). Strangely refreshing. I wonder how much is voluntary though, and how much is subtle repression.

Anyway, I'm out for dinner in boozy Dubai tomorrow night before a 3am flight home, so I have plenty of chance to make up for it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Off Season 2018-19 marathondan 11 3,002 20-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Off-season 2015 marathondan 42 29,076 18-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  April 2012 marathondan 55 50,581 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  March 2012 marathondan 22 27,714 29-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  February 2012 marathondan 48 47,689 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Sweder