Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insectember
09-09-2012, 07:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Insectember
OK it's well into the month once again before I remember to start a new thread. But here we are, and with just a few days to race day I'm well into tapering madness. It's actually starting to get to me and I just wish race day would come so I can get the sodding thing over and done with. Still, not long now.

The weather is warming rapidly here as we launch into spring with gusto. Everything's sprouting and squillions of small flying things have miraculously appeared, hence the thread title.

Just a short one to report - a kind of tempo run, starting at a jog and building to a rapid 4:36/km pace before easing back at the end. It felt great, and it's a nice, safe way to get some speed training in - just the ticket when the taper calls for restricted runs.

But I really can't wait for race day. Hurry up!

5.5km 32:00

YTD: 1059.5km
Run. Just run.
09-09-2012, 07:30 PM,
RE: Insectember
Hang in there matey!
10-09-2012, 07:08 PM,
Jolly exciting!
Re: tapering, if you're not going batshit crazy, you're not doing it right.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-09-2012, 09:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Mad Taperness
Last night I dreamed I drove to the start of the marathon only to find I was half an hour too late... I must have been reading too many of EG's race reports, methinks. It was quite a relief to wake up and realise it was just a dream and that today wasn't race day.

Five days to go.

[Image: crazy-white-640_0.jpg]
Run. Just run.
11-09-2012, 09:09 PM,
Last early morning highway run before race day. A surprising number of pedestrians out this morning - four walkers and two other runners: at fo' in da morning it's good to know I'm not the only crazed loon out there.

Good conditions, but I took it easy. This might be my last run before the race on Sunday - I'll see how I'm feeling about it on Friday, when I might do another (very) short run. Or I might be better off resting up. We'll see.

10km, 58:12.

YTD: 1069.5km

Run. Just run.
12-09-2012, 09:54 AM,
I'm envious MLCM that you're on the cusp of what, to many, is the classic distance in running. Is this your first marathon? I've only done one. It was a great experience. And another is beginning to stir somewhere.

Chomping-at-the-bit is what you're aiming for. And that then needs to be reigned-in slightly on the day for 20. But it's often the hardest thing to do.

Best of luck to you mate. Enjoy the easy miles. Then dig-in for the rest.
12-09-2012, 01:16 PM,
Best of luck on Sunday, MLCM! Take it easy and enjoy as much as possible.

Looking forward to hearing about how the race went.

Saludos desde Almería.

13-09-2012, 06:50 PM,
Good luck and good racing MLCM. Sounds like you're ready, you just need the race to be here! Run your race and try to enjoy it.

Suzie
13-09-2012, 07:17 PM,
Good luck from me too, i've just realized it's this weekend...
Anyway you've certainly worked hard to make sure the first marathon is an enjoyable one ...you could probably go out and have a few the night before without feeling guilty!
Have a good 'n.
14-09-2012, 01:58 PM,
Sunday, bloody Sunday ...
Give 'em hell mate. Can't wait to hear all about it!
As Andy Murray might say, C'MAAAAWWWN!!!!

15-09-2012, 08:35 AM,
Thanks everyone - just one more sleep then it's game on. Will post result as soon as I can.

Cheers!

MLCM.

Run. Just run.
15-09-2012, 09:00 AM,
Go get 'em mate.

Just remember the old EG adage. Start slow, and get slower. Smile

Will be thinking of you err....tonight.
16-09-2012, 05:37 AM,
Lesson learned. Medal earned. 4h56m. Very tough. Report soon.
Run. Just run.
16-09-2012, 06:39 AM,
(16-09-2012, 05:37 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Medal earned.

Too right Smile

Congratulations, brother warrior..
You've just completed a marathon. I salute you!

16-09-2012, 06:59 AM,
Congratulations, you made it!

The split times on the website suggest a tough second half. Looking forward to the tale. Meanwhile I trust you are savoring the hue of your medal through a golden ale...

Well done mate.
16-09-2012, 07:21 AM,
Congratulations, MLCM! ¡Enhorabuena!

Looking forward to reading your report.

Saludos desde Almería.

16-09-2012, 11:04 AM,
Hey well done old timer!

From the splits it did indeed look like a race of two halves. Looking forward to your tale.

Many congratulations.
16-09-2012, 12:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012, 12:43 PM by El Gordo.)
Hurrah!

It's been a long time coming.

I'm tempted to say: "Our work is done", and shut the whole thing down. But instead, I'll say simply: "Many congratulations, marathoner."

Can't wait for the Mid-Life Marathon Man report.

Feck it, I need to aim for a spring marathon. I feel inspired, even without the report.

Edited -- Gah! He beat my Zurich time by 5 seconds!! I'm going to have to plan a painful revenge. No wait, I meant painful for him... oh well.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-09-2012, 01:23 PM,
Well done MLCM! You've just completed the toughest race of them all. I'd sort of told myself I'd never run another marathon on the road ....maybe your race report will persuade me otherwise. Hey, I think this has affected all of us.....Wink
16-09-2012, 05:06 PM,
Yes, that's great news MLCM. Well done from the Yorkshire office.

Please saviour this effort now before easing back into the P2P training.

Spring marathons all round? I can't promise anything, given my propensity for injury, but I am, as others are, now inspired to seriously think about another one. After all, how much injury grief has this man battled through?

Tremendous.