Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A streak runner?
05-11-2012, 09:15 PM,
RE: A streak runner?
(05-11-2012, 08:46 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I felt pain in my left knee, so I put on Reflex

Presumably this is a cream or gel?

Not listening to a Duran Duran hit single?

It's amazing that's your streak is still going, and wonderful that you're still enjoying it. I hope this little knee issue doesn't stop you. Although I know you said you would rather stay injury free than continue the streak at all costs.

Keep it up!
05-11-2012, 09:35 PM,
(05-11-2012, 08:46 PM)anlu247 Wrote: On Thursday, I went along the sea front and did 8 km. On Friday, I went toward the university along the sea front doing 10 km. After having a shower, I felt pain in my left knee, so I put on Reflex and on Saturday I did 6 km softly and on Sunday I did 8 km along Avda del Mediterráneo.

1st week of November: 12 + 9 + 9 + 8 + 10 + 6 + 8 = 62 km.
Streak running : 409 km in 55 days.
YTD: 1051
Weight : 80 kg.
Blood pressure : 115 / 75

I'm getting worried about you Antonio. You're going to spontaneously combust or something... incredible. Have you actually run every day for 55 days? So an average of about 7.5 Km each and every day -- pretty amazing. Well done.

Nice touch to add your blood pressure reading after the recent conversation elsewhere. Your BP figures are just about identical to mine -- though I'm not so close weightwise, and still more than 12 kg behind. But I'll catch you one day....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-11-2012, 09:35 AM,
Astonishing feat (feet) my friend. You are right not to obsess with continuing 'at all costs'. You can wear a knee brace, or some medical stocking, to see how that goes. Your stats are equally impressive. You really will fly around the circuit in January.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-11-2012, 05:04 PM,
Gracias, amigos, for your support and encouragement. I'm very motivated about going for a run every day but I'm worried because it could be overtraining. Perhaps it would be wiser to tale a rest day and do another sport instead. For instance, ride on bicycle, go swimming or just walk fast. As I'm taking part in a half marathon next Sunday and I've had some pain in my left knee, I want to take it easy this week and see how I am at this half marathon at Mojácar.

http://mmaratonmojacar.asuspuestos.com/

PS. Dan, Reflex is a spray. I find it good when I have muscle pain. http://www.farmaciadurante.es/reflex-spray-p-780.html

EG, I'm glad you're losing weight as well. I'd like to lose three or four more kilos.

S, if I feel worse with my knee, I'll have to try with a knee brace. I'd love to do the half marathon in January under two hours but I should do more speed runs and more streght and abdominal workouts.

12-11-2012, 10:08 PM,
Last Monday, I did only 3 km because I think that running every day can make me get injured. So, I take it very easy as if it were a rest day. However, on Tuesday I did 13 km along the sea front. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 7, 7 and 6 kilometres respectively while on Saturday morning I did only 4 km because on Sunday I was going to take part at I Medio marathon de Mojácar. It is the first marathon held in this beautiful Moorish town in the east of the province of Almería. My wife and I spent the weekend at Marina playa hotel near the beach in Mojácar. On Saturday, it was a wonderful sunny day but on Sunday it was rainy. After having a buffet breakfast at the hotel, I went down to the start that was very near the hotel. There, I met some friends who were going to take part at the race such as Antonio G, Antonio L. and some others. There were two options: 10.5 km or the half marathon, The course was along the road by the seaside. We had to go towards Carboneras around 2.5 km and back to the start and a little further on four times. Then, we took another lane to the finish. I started with Antonio G. but I felt I could go a bit faster so I went on my own at a good pace for my level, around 5´30´´ per km the first 11 km. Then, I had to slow down a little but feeling fine. In the last 3 km a girl reached me and we went together as far as the finish. It was her first half marathon and when we got to the finish we held the arms up. We finished in 2 hours 5 minutes 54 seconds. Antonio G. finished five minutes later while Antonio L. was quite fast doing it in just one hour 35 minutes. We were given a beautiful cloth bag with “Mojácar” on it, a technical T-shirt, a bottle of water, some Hero Muesli bars, a ball pen, etc. After the race, we went to the hotel café where the awards were given and the atmosphere was very nice.

I’m glad with yesterday’s race since I finished it without feeling very tired and I think that if I manage to go on training around 60 km a week, if I can do an 18-21 km run every other week, if I’m lucky with injuries and illnesses and if I can weigh around 77 kg for Almería half , then I can succeed in doing my local marathon under two hours.

2nd week of November: 3 + 13 + 7 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 21 = 61 km.
Streak running: 470 km in 62 days.
YTD: 1112 km.
Weight : 80.5 kg.

13-11-2012, 07:17 AM,
Sounds like you had a pretty comfortable race, Antonio. Good to have this as a test in the lead-up to the Almeria half. That must be very close to a PB for you for the half marathon?

I also like your "rest" day of 3km. You are making the routine work very well. 100 days is getting closer!
13-11-2012, 11:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 13-11-2012, 11:33 AM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(12-11-2012, 10:08 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I’m glad with yesterday’s race since I finished it without feeling very tired and I think that if I manage to go on training around 60 km a week, if I can do an 18-21 km run every other week, if I’m lucky with injuries and illnesses and if I can weigh around 77 kg for Almería half , then I can succeed in doing my local marathon under two hours.

2nd week of November: 3 + 13 + 7 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 21 = 61 km.
Streak running: 470 km in 62 days.
YTD: 1112 km.
Weight : 80.5 kg.

Antonio ....eres el mejor!
13-11-2012, 03:38 PM,
2'05 at a comfortable pace. Very nice!!
You are in excellent shape amigo.
Hasta pronto!! Vamos!!

13-11-2012, 06:30 PM,
Keep that up Antonio and you'll have sub-2 hours and 77kgs in the bag at Almeria for certain. Tremendous running, and fantastic discipline, not only to keep running for 60+ days but to avoid injury as well. You're doing great!
Run. Just run.
14-11-2012, 03:01 PM,
Antonio, you are well on your way of reaching your goal of running a half in under two hours. I am so impressed with what you've accomplished. There is hope for me after all! Keep it up and as Sweder would say 'on on'!
14-11-2012, 05:48 PM,
The rewards will start to come now for all this hard work. You'll be claiming Dan's title of 'The Man with The Plan' soon. Great stuff.
14-11-2012, 09:35 PM,
Muchas gracias, amigos. All this encouragement makes me be more and more motivated. Actually, I'm enjoying going out for a run every day.

Dan, my PB in a half was two hours two minutes 43 seconds at Murcia half in 2004 when I was training for Madrid marathon one month later. However, when I was much younger, in 1989 I managed to do a half marathon in around one hour 46 minutes in Elche but that belongs to another life. I was also training for Madrid marathon where I managed to do the marathon in around three hours 47 minutes.

Suzie, I'm sure you can succeed in doing a half in under two hours. It would be wonderful that you could come to Almería next year and we both could do the half under two hours.

Here are some pics from the race last Sunday.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

15-11-2012, 10:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012, 10:50 PM by Sweder.)
(14-11-2012, 09:35 PM)anlu247 Wrote: ... in 1989 I managed to do a half marathon in around one hour 46 minutes in Elche but that belongs to another life.

Beautifully put, Antonio.
So many runners, at least those with previous good form, strive to match what they achieved 'in another life', yet the ravages of time dooms them to failure. How much more satisfying to accept new challenges in the here and now, to enjoy achievements in their own time.

23-11-2012, 06:58 AM,
(15-11-2012, 10:49 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(14-11-2012, 09:35 PM)anlu247 Wrote: ... in 1989 I managed to do a half marathon in around one hour 46 minutes in Elche but that belongs to another life.

Beautifully put, Antonio.
So many runners, at least those with previous good form, strive to match what they achieved 'in another life', yet the ravages of time dooms them to failure. How much more satisfying to accept new challenges in the here and now, to enjoy achievements in their own time.

Gracias, S.

Last week I did only 44 kms since I needed to rest a little after the half marathon in Mojácar.

I went along the sea front , along the Rambla or the avenida del Mediterráneo.

3rd week of November: 4 + 7 + 11 + 8 + 9 + 5 = 44 km.

Streak running: 514 km. in 69 days.

YTD: 1156 km

Weight : 79.5

Blood pressure: 120 / 80

As I had a blood test done last week, I’m giving some results :

Basal glucose: 77
Cholesterol : 219
HDL cholesterol : 52
LDL cholesterol : 140
Triglycerides: 137
Iron : 164
Ferritin: 75.7
GOT ( Aspartato aminotrasnf. ). 30
GPT ( Alanina aminotraasf. ) : 56
GGT ( Gamma dlutamistrasf. ): 20

28-11-2012, 10:04 PM,
Unfortunately, last week I had to stop running due to injury. I did only four runs because on Wednesday morning when I was getting home after doing 9 km I felt a sudden twinge in my right calf, so I stopped and got home walking and did some stretching. On Thursday evening, thinking I was better, I went for a soft run but after three kilometres I felt a twinge as well. So I decided not to go for a run for a few days. Actually, I had entered a 9 km race in Almería but I didn’t take part in it to avoid a bigger injury. However, I went for another soft run on Monday but I felt some pain in my right calf after a few minutes, so I went on walking and did some stretching to go on jogging but in all I could do just two kilometres. So, I haven’t been running since Monday but this morning when I started to walk, I felt pain in my right calf, which is odd since I just only felt pain in it when I was jogging but not when I was walking. I’m worried because instead of feeling less pain, it is increasing in spite of having been using the gel Voltaren or the spray Reflex and even the MG 40 body massager.

I think that running every day is not good for me. When I get better, I want to take at least two rest days on which I could do another sport such as cycling, walking, swimming or just nothing.

4th week of November : 7 + 7 + 9 + 3 = 26 km.

Streak running : 540 km in 73 days.

YTD: 1182 km.

Weight : 80,8 kilos.

28-11-2012, 10:08 PM,
Noooo! The streak is ended??!! What a shame; but you're wise to immediately stop and take care of whatever it is. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and you'll be back on the road again (but on a 'wiser' running schedule).

Suzie
28-11-2012, 10:12 PM,
Well done on all counts Antonio. As Suzie says, a wise choice to stop with such an injury. Now you know you can achieve such a fantastic streak there's no need to try again. Heal fast and well and start the long road to the Almeria Half Marathon.

29-11-2012, 12:06 AM,
Yes, at least now you sort of know the limits and can train around it accordingly. This should set you up for a great year of running, and a good chance of sub-2 hours at Almeria! Well done!
Run. Just run.
29-11-2012, 11:23 AM,
Well congratulations on the streak, Antonio. You've set an RC record there that I think will stand for some time. I hope the rest pays off and the calf is better soon.
29-11-2012, 07:40 PM,
Muchas gracias, amigos/as. It was beautiful while it lasted. According to the doctor, it is a calf strain but it will be all right after a few days without going for a run. He says that I shouldn't have gone for a run the next day after the injury of last Monday since it has worsened the injury.

This afternoon I did some stretching. strength workouts and abdominals at a Rafael's house. It has been good for my muscles.

Looking forward to going for a run again.