Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October 2012
21-10-2012, 08:45 PM,
October 2012
Today I watched a fell race. Then drove to a pub and ate a 1lb burger. I don't think I was supposed to finish it. But I most certainly did.

That's pretty much where I'm at folks. I have excuses but none of them particularly good ones.

In fairness there have been some decent running highlights over the last 9 months. I ran in the National road relays in April. I've done some decent fell races over the summer.

But it's all been very stop-start. As usual. Time to get a serious plan together I do believe.
22-10-2012, 01:19 AM,
RE: October 2012
Huzzah!
Run. Just run.
23-10-2012, 09:42 AM,
Great to see the diary open again, GM. I just read your last dispatch from two years ago - a poignant piece. I can see why blogging about running suddenly held little appeal.

So was it simply rest that saw off the PF? Is it gone for good, do you think? And do you have ideas about how to keep it at bay in the future?
23-10-2012, 11:14 PM,
Thanks Dan.

I think PF still remains abit of a mystery for me. I underwent a regime of all the usual stuff including alot of deep massage to release some of the fascia that runs down the whole of the lower limb. But I was also resting. So who knows what relieved the problem? And I feel as though I've had my share of PF but I don't know if it recurs.

I suspect that people who have a well rounded approach to fitness that allows recovery and encourages flexibilty might be better off. But, like I say, no firm conclusions.

Regarding the plan. It's all about weight and injury. Suprise suprise. I know the main problem I have (apart from 1lb burgers) is trying to change through the gears too quickly when getting fit.

So my current plan is a month of easy mileage that slowly ramps up the distance to give me a decent, low risk, base. Done on mixed terrain to allow natural changes in speed and posture.
24-10-2012, 06:48 AM,
Sounds like a sensible approach. Do you do much in the way of strength / flexibilty exercises to try and prevent injury?
24-10-2012, 08:43 AM,
I try and remember to do some press ups before bed. I had a stint at the gym earlier in the year. But generally I'm pants at anything other than just going out for a run.
24-10-2012, 12:54 PM,
(23-10-2012, 11:14 PM)glaconman Wrote: So my current plan is a month of easy mileage that slowly ramps up the distance to give me a decent, low risk, base. Done on mixed terrain to allow natural changes in speed and posture.

Almost exactly where I'm at. Base-building, no pressure to ramp it up (Almeria is till 12 weeks away). I'd like to be covering half marathon distance by early December, but it's not essential. I'm enjoying running a lot more for that very freedom.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-10-2012, 01:18 PM,
(24-10-2012, 12:54 PM)Sweder Wrote: I'm enjoying running a lot more for that very freedom.

I think I'm finally starting to understand this.

By the way, Boff Whalley (musician and fell runner) of these parts has written a book that may be of interest to you Sweder. Entitled 'Run Wild' the title speaks for itself really. But I think it will strike a cord with you.

Review HERE.
24-10-2012, 01:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012, 01:33 PM by Sweder.)
Ooh, I like the look of this book.

'Readers of this journal who don’t run road marathons might reasonably ask “so why should I buy the book? I don’t pound pavements.” And my answer would be “because Run Wild is so life affirming and reminds we fell runners how and why we meld with the earth beneath our feet”. On page after page I exclaimed “Yes! That’s what I feel. That’s why I am a fell runner!”

A nod of approval from Mr Askwith, too. Thanks, G-Man Big Grin

By the miracle of modern living, it's on my virtual bookshelf already.
Happy days!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-10-2012, 04:16 PM,
Well, I'm managing to get out every other day for local runs from the door. About an hour each time.

My route takes me through a couple of big old Victorian parks, a Victorian graveyard, a couple of golf courses, some woods and a canal towpath. So all in all a fairly decent mix of terrain to keep my mind and body engaged with the run.

It's great just to able to enjoy an hour bouncing around the Aire valley without thinking of much else. No goals thus far. Just simple pleasures.

But I should probably start to mix it up with the bike and pool again before I become too dependent on the running. It's just such an economical way of exercising.
10-11-2012, 04:02 AM,
How are the simple pleasures going g'man? Any more 1lb burgers in the mix?
Run. Just run.
10-11-2012, 10:38 AM,
Not bad thanks mate. I've racked up some runs however sporadically they've come along. I managed a 9 mile tempo the other night. So things are looking good.

Although this afternoon I've been persuaded to take part in the West Yorkshire XCountry league. They tend to be a silly pace and it's abit early in my plans really but it shouldn't do me any harm if I'm not daft. I've only run one xc and I described that as a conveyer belt of mud and pain.

The diet side of things is a different matter with no real progress. I guess if I can keep the running going that might take care if itself to some degree. I have managed to avoid the 1lb burger although I've recently discovered Dessert Bars. Kids love them. I love them. The future is sweet.
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM,
Dessert bars? You need help. I'll be there next year. Book me in for a 1lb burger.
Run. Just run.
10-11-2012, 11:12 AM,
burger

Here's a preview. If you think you can handle it Tongue

Actually I forget to mention I've also ordered some Rollers for the basement. I've been struggling to get out on the bike recently, so this is my winter solution.
10-11-2012, 11:30 AM,
(10-11-2012, 11:12 AM)glaconman Wrote: burger

Here's a preview. If you think you can handle it Tongue

Actually I forget to mention I've also ordered some Rollers for the basement. I've been struggling to get out on the bike recently, so this is my winter solution.

Cool. I'll bring my cardiologist.
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December 2012 glaconman 5 2,912 27-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  November 2012 glaconman 19 8,907 27-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  October glaconman 0 1,602 07-10-2010, 12:47 PM
  October glaconman 35 14,220 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM