Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nooooooooovember
15-11-2012, 06:10 AM,
RE: Nooooooooovember
Looks a bit chilly! I take it your gear list is a little more comprehensive this year?
15-11-2012, 09:17 AM,
(15-11-2012, 06:10 AM)marathondan Wrote: Looks a bit chilly!

Actually the revised forecast is worse ... they're now forecasting snow above 1,000 metres. If that's still the case on race morning the course could well be altered to an out-and-back, only going part-way up the mountain, which of course, is hardly the point of it.

Cross fingers!

Undecided
Run. Just run.
15-11-2012, 09:48 AM,
Very best of luck with this old man. Hardly seems a year ago I was there with you.
15-11-2012, 10:22 AM,
(14-11-2012, 11:39 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: ...and of course temperature is just half the story. We'll just have to see if I'm unfortunate enough to encounter blizzard conditions three times in a row. Surely I can't be that unlucky?

Or that lucky...Wink

Have a good 'n, whatever the weather!
15-11-2012, 02:33 PM,
Best of luck on Sunday, MLCMM!

15-11-2012, 10:43 PM,
Thinking back to a year ago.
Good friends, great company and one hell of a ride up that mountain.
Run well, enjoy the ale.

On, on!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-11-2012, 03:12 AM,
Thanks everyone ... have now arrived in Hobart, lobbed into accomodation, collected race pack, bought commemorative tech running shirt and of course, the requisite ales (including one of Sweder's faves Theakston Old Peculiar ... appropriate, really ... also some Fuller's London Pride and some other odds and sods)... so we're all set!

The weather is decidely on the cool and threatening side with the mountain disappearing frequently behind rain squalls. Looks a little ominous. Part of me is thinking that it hardly matters anymore - I'm better prepared this year for the foul weather, so bring it on! The only real concern is that, as I said, if it's too horrid on race morning they'll alter the course.

At least we have the beer.

Core on!
Run. Just run.
16-11-2012, 11:00 AM,
I'm very envious MLCMM. You're in a beautiful part of the world with a great event to look forward to. I'm sure the unpredictability of the event adds to the excitement and appeal. But I'd be surprised if it throws up anything that you can't handle. I've really done it now.Tongue
17-11-2012, 09:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012, 09:16 AM by El Gordo.)
Aye, good luck -- and don't make it sound too tough in the report please. Some of us are planning to hare up it this time next year, and don't want to be deterred.

Talking of London Pride, you asked me a while ago to recommend a good Fuller's pub in London. I have a shortlist, but to keep you going, and to while away the hours in Hobart, here is one of my favourites: The Star in Belgravia. The very name sends me into a whirl of nostalgic pleasure. This one will be high on the final list. The Star Tavern

Edited to add running note: And I see from the website that Pride is "the official beer of the London Marathon", so you can enjoy a few pints, knowing that you are merely supporting this great sporting event. (And in fairness, I should add that much as I enjoy a decent pint of the stuff, there are beers close to the hearts -- geographical and emotional -- of some people on here that would run it a very close race, and possibly even sweep past in the final stretch. Step forward Harvey's of Lewes and Timothy Taylor's of Keighley -- GM's Yorkshire manor.)
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-11-2012, 09:40 AM,
A quick one because a server error just erased my previous post ... grrr.

11.5 hours to the gun ... pasta loading now ... weather forecast much improved ... looking good and feeling hopeful.

Next post should be the result.

Onwards and (ever) upwards!
Run. Just run.
17-11-2012, 07:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012, 11:30 PM by glaconman.)
(17-11-2012, 09:04 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Aye, good luck -- and don't make it sound too tough in the report please. Some of us are planning to hare up it this time next year, and don't want to be deterred.

Talking of London Pride, you asked me a while ago to recommend a good Fuller's pub in London. I have a shortlist, but to keep you going, and to while away the hours in Hobart, here is one of my favourites: The Star in Belgravia. The very name sends me into a whirl of nostalgic pleasure. This one will be high on the final list. The Star Tavern

Edited to add running note: And I see from the website that Pride is "the official beer of the London Marathon", so you can enjoy a few pints, knowing that you are merely supporting this great sporting event. (And in fairness, I should add that much as I enjoy a decent pint of the stuff, there are beers close to the hearts -- geographical and emotional -- of some people on here that would run it a very close race, and possibly even sweep past in the final stretch. Step forward Harvey's of Lewes and Timothy Taylor's of Keighley -- GM's Yorkshire manor.)

Despite the plethora of incredible beers that seem to be flooding West Yorkshire (and indeed these Isles) I will always worship Taylor's. Best Bitter has just been renamed "Boltmakers" as an homage to the pub where I drink it. I wonder what the regulars there would make of The Star Tavern? Keighley being a different planet to Belgravia frankly.

Although I have to say, The Star does look to have it's own merits. I'm slightly ambivalent about food in drinking pubs; but The Star looks more like a Gentleman's Club. I'm told Fullers is better on it's own turf as it looses some it's character and "notes" when given a tight head as it is up north. I guess some beer suits the aeration and some doesn't.
17-11-2012, 07:29 PM,
Oh, and good news about the weather MLCMM. Sorry, got all carried away thinking about beer. You of all people will excuse me I'm sure.
17-11-2012, 11:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012, 11:42 PM by Sweder.)
TTL is served up at the King's Head in Albermarle Street, Piccadily, a mere roll of a Tiffin pot from Chor Bizarre, one of the finest Indian restaurants in London. I've not had the pleasure to sample Taylor's in it's own back yard, but it tastes pretty damned fine in't Smoke.

Cripes, just realised I'm posting right about when a certain gent should be scraping his bones onto a bag bus atop Mount Wellington. 10:40 am Hobart time. A connection through the ether, via the conduit of fine ale. I love science.

18-11-2012, 12:15 AM,
(17-11-2012, 07:26 PM)glaconman Wrote:
(17-11-2012, 09:04 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Aye, good luck -- and don't make it sound too tough in the report please. Some of us are planning to hare up it this time next year, and don't want to be deterred.

Despite the plethora of incredible beers that seem to be flooding West Yorkshire (and indeed these Isles) I will always worship Taylor's. Best Bitter has just been renamed "Boltmakers" as an homage to the pub where I drink it. I wonder what the regulars there would make of The Star Tavern? Keighley being a different planet to Belgravia frankly.

Although I have to say, The Star does look to have it's own merits. I'm slightly ambivalent about food in drinking pubs; but The Star looks more like a Gentleman's Club. I'm told Fullers is better on it's own turf as it looses some it's character and "notes" when given a tight head as it is up north. I guess some beer suits the aeration and some doesn't.

Well, I wouldn't want to have a scrap about whether the Star in Belgravia or the Boltmakers is a better pub -- that's like arguing whether San Francisco is a better place to visit than... Edinburgh or Rome or Calcutta. All great places but utterly different, so no point comparing.

Not sure if I've been to the Boltmakers' but I'm certain it's a very fine Yorkshire boozer that I would instantly love. The Star in Belgravia is a very fine London pub, and there are many fine London pubs. But totally different from the Yorkshire variant. You are very familiar with the Slubbers Arms in Huddersfield which is one of my favourite drinking holes anywhere in the world. Or remember The Sair Inn in Linthwaite?

The Star in Belgravia is a million miles and a million pounds away from those places, literally. Probably half full of millionaires, but like all good pubs, a classlessness is created, and prejudices tend to be left at the door. Last time I was in there, I had a natter with local resident Chris Evans while we were waiting at the bar. He could have been some geezer at the bus stop on the way to the football. It's a few minutes from Hyde Park and Knightsbridge, but tucked away in a Regency mews where I suspect no tourist ever goes unless they're visiting the pub. I love the place, and many more besides.

Anyway, come in MLCMM, your time is up...
El Gordo

18-11-2012, 02:16 AM,
2:51:11 ... a PB by 1:40 ... much better weather this year, but the last 6km just as brutal. I was nowhere near ready enough however for the steepness of the last part of the race. Up until 15km I was well pleased with my pacing... so maybe next year?

Utterly knackered. Race report after re-hydration.
Run. Just run.
18-11-2012, 09:19 AM,
Well done Sir!
Enjoy that beverage Big Grin

18-11-2012, 04:58 PM,
Well done mate! Looking forward to hearing about it.
18-11-2012, 05:22 PM,
Congratulations on completing another tough race MLCMM! I look forward to reading all about it...and as EG said, don't make it too scary as some of us are thinking about joining you next year.
18-11-2012, 09:39 PM,
Congratulations, MLCMM! Looking forward to being there next year, The countdown has started.

19-11-2012, 07:25 AM,
Crikey, Hobart 2013 looks like it could be an 'Almeria South'. What larks!

Well done MLCMM, and am looking forward to the report -- but no hurry.
El Gordo