Utmb
27-08-2008, 02:43 PM,
Utmb
Thought that this non-Olympic event deserved a mention here. It’s not one I’ll ever be doing (too long and too far away) but it has captured my imagination over the last few days.

The Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc is only 6 years old but it has fast become the mecca of ultra trail running and is attracting the very cream of the ultra and mountain running fraternity. In brief, it consists of over 150kms off-road and 8500m total elevation gain in one leg. The route follows basically the Tour Mont Blanc hiking path, that is usually completed in 7 to 9 days by walkers. See Wikipedia for more details of the circuit and the passes it will cross. It starts and finishes in Chamonix and it skirts the mountainous fringes of France, Italy and Switzerland.

So, who’s going?

There’s a field of more than 2000 and the elite athletes all have their sights on keeping up with the winner of the last two years, a 59 year old Italian vegetarian named Marco Olmo. That is worth repeating, the twice winner of the world’s most prestigous ultra mountain challenge is a 59 year old vegetarian.

His rivals this year are a varied bunch, every bit as dedicated as the Olympic athletes of Peking. Probably more.

Choose your winner from amongst:
Marco Olmo: Skinny 59 year old vegetarian (worth mentioning 3 times). Photo below.
Scott Jurek: the top American who was so pissed off at being beaten by the 58 year old vegetarian last year that he accused him of cutting corners and has spent most of Summer training in the Alps in order to beat old Marco once and for all.
Dean Karnazes: Famous American. Ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. But he still hasn’t beaten Super- Mario.
Dewa Sherpa: Nepali runner. Winner in 2003 with the fastest time recorded (20 hours 5 minutes).
Kilian Jornet: Catalan. 20 year old boy wonder who is the current FSA Sky-Running world champion. Cross country/ mountain skiing champ as well. Lives all year round in a ski station in the Pyrenees.
Lizzy Hawker: British lady who may yet prove innate female physiological superiority in the ultra events (something to do with child-birth I’m told..)
Salvador Calvo: “The bald saviour” is a familiar face in the hills of Bierzo and León. He had already won in Picos and was tucking into his lunch well before I was even half way round and had packed it in!

Other favourites include; Karl Meltzer (USA) Jaquerod (Switzerland) Delebarre (France) Jens Lukas (Germany) Nemeth (Hungary) Chambry (Reunion Isles).

The race starts on Friday afternoon. I’ll try and follow it on the net Eek

Attached Files Image(s)

28-08-2008, 02:01 PM,
Utmb
Another hot favourite for tomorrow's race is the Italian based American Topher Gaylord (second place behind the sherpa in the first edition of the UTMB).
I promise I'm not making this up...
29-08-2008, 10:32 PM,
Utmb
Have just logged onto the excellent UTMB web site where you can follow the race in real time. Anyway, young Kilian Jornet has gone off like a man possessed. In fact he ran the first half marathon of this 160km race in 1:48 and that involved an ascent of around 1000m !!Eek He's just reached the 50k point in 5 hours 14 minutes.... will he be able to keep it up?

2nd is the Nepali Sherpa 8 minutes behind.

3rd Scott Jurek at 15 minutes.

In 6th and 7th place are Bierzo Baggie's bet, the mighty Salvador Calvo and the wily old fox himself Marco Olmo. Both have worked their way up the field and are still in real contention.

9th is the Hungarian Nemeth and 14th is the first Brit (male or female) Lizzy Hawker.

14th is Gaylord.

I'll check this again tomorrow morning. Never thought I'd ever be following a race on the internet but this Ultra Tour of Mont Blanc from the comfort of our spare room is proving to be strangely ...compelling. The winner will be back at Chamonix by lunchtime.
30-08-2008, 07:54 AM,
Utmb
Well, they've run through the night and now they're entering Switzerland. Kilian Jornet is still leading and is 43 minutes up on Sherpa. With "only" 44 kms left he should be home and dry.
Jurek is an hour behind.. so much for all that training in the Alps. Calvo and Marco Olmo are almost together in 7th and 8th, Lizzy Hawker has slipped down to 23rd but is still the first lady.

Jornet is now climbing the Bovine pass. If you look below you'll see that it's about the eighth big climb (at around 130km). And all of this is off road.
Epic stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

30-08-2008, 12:32 PM,
Utmb
Gadzooks! I'm having palpitations just reading about it ... you're not thinking of attempting this next year are you?
Run. Just run.
30-08-2008, 01:07 PM,
Utmb
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Gadzooks! I'm having palpitations just reading about it ... you're not thinking of attempting this next year are you?

Big Grin
Not a chance MLCM. This is for extraterrestrials. I'd love to be in Chamonix one year to sample the atmosphere though.

Don't know if you tried logging on to the UTMB site but I'm quite impressed by the whole set up. The leaders seem to be tagged with some sort of GPS thingy and you can follow them on Google Earth in real time Cool This is quite an amazing race. 20 year old Jornet is now descending into Chamonix with a big advantage. They'll never catch him now. Marco Olmo (who turns out to be 60) has shrewdly worked his way up the field and was in 4th. Looks like last year's winner has put up an excellent fight ...but he's 40 years older than the other guy for crying out loud!Eek

The much fancied American Jurek disappeared from the updates a while back which suggest that he has abandoned ship. I suspect he could hear Olmo breathing behind him and couldn't take it any more. I wonder what excuse he'll come up with this year?

The Nepali Sherpa looks like he'll finish second. Now, the race is full of French and Swiss athletes, Italians, Spaniards, Germans, Brits and Americans. As far as I know there's only this one guy from Nepal. Makes you suspect that if you got a few of them together they'd dominate mountain-ultras like the Kenyans and Ethiopians dominate from 10 000m to marathon.

Also worth noting that the first Brit is Lizzy Hawker in 19th overall. She was 9th at one point. There are quite a few top male fell and endurance runners from the UK who are taking part and she's beating them all.

P.S. Glad to read "POSSIBLE" for that Point to Pinnicle race MLCM Smile
30-08-2008, 07:48 PM,
Utmb
Final standings in Chamonix.,

1. Kilian Jornet(Spain) 20:56:59
2. Dachhiri-Dawa Serpa (Nepal) 21:56:52
3. Julien Chorier (France) 22:31:35
4. Tsuyoshi Kaburaki (Japan) 23 :10 :47
5. Jesus Maria Romon (Spain) 23:41:28
6. Antoine Guillon (France) 23:57 :28
7. Aurelio Olivar (Spain) 24:07:05
8. Matthieu Girard (Switzerland) 24:19:57
9. Nemeth Csaba (Hungary) 24:21:05
10. Uli Calmbach (Germany) 24:21:20
11. Massimo Tagliaferri (Italy) 24:24:22
12. Topher Gaylord (USA) 24:55:31
13. Ulrich Gross (Germany) 25:06:04
14. Salvador Calvo (Spain) 25:08:05
15. Lizzy Hawker (UK) 25:19:41 First lady runner.

Marco Olmo finally abandoned just before the final pass and with only about 15 kms left ….
Jaquerod and Jens Lukas packed it in too. And the Americans Karnazes and Meltzer didn’t even race. Who said they were racing anyway?

There was a spot of controversy at the end. The winner has been accused of not carrying the mandatory equipment for the race. In fact some say he wasn’t carrying any equipment at all. He could even be disqualified which would be a bit of a bummer after 166 gruelling kilometres. A final decision will be made tomorrow.

Some videos here: http://www.chamonix.com/page.php?page=12...08&ling=fr

At this very moment some 35 athletes have finished and more than 1000 more plod on with the prospect of a second night on the mountain. The time limit for finishing is 48 hours and many won’t make it.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the Ultra Tour Mont Blanc 2008. You can forget the Olympics and your first week of the Premier League and whatever, here is where the real romance is although it probably won’t make many headlines in the sports press.. (except perhaps in Chamonix). And it’s goodbye granddad Olmo and hello young Catalan pretender.
166 kms
9404 metres height gain
20 hours 56 minutes 59 seconds
And he’ll probably be disqualified for not carrying a rucksack.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UTMB 2018 Bierzo Baggie 15 46,912 09-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Last Post: marathondan