Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013: Tri-ing something new
06-02-2013, 01:28 PM,
RE: 2013: Tri-ing something new
Just back from another canalside lunchtime tempo run. A little less effort than last week, resulting in 30s longer to finish. Will try and push on to that dry heave threshold again next week.

I don't encounter as many quirky characters on my runs as some others of this parish. But on Wednesday lunchtime I normally pass a couple of chaps down by the canal. Aged around 70, portly, well-dressed and at this time of year in heavy coats and hats - one a fur number, one a trilby, if I recall correctly. With their steel-rimmed square spectacles, they have something of the 70s cold war agent about them. One of them is often drinking from a small brown glass bottle marked "supermalt", which I would assume is a sports drink of some kind. Unless there's something stronger in there.

Today I met them earlier than usual, and not walking at their normal leisurely rate. They had built a small fire by the side of the path, and were feeding pieces of paper into it from a carrier bag. Some would say that's just a sensible way to prevent identity theft when you can't afford a shredder, but I'm sure there's a more sinister explanation. I passed them again on my return leg, no sign of the ashes now, but one was helping the other with his waistband underneath the back of his coat... just where you would wear a bugging device or other hidden piece of electronics.

A return to tempo running means a return to running with music, and the well used "Run - Tempo" playlist. As I'm now a full convert to higher-cadence running, there's now nothing in my library that matches my stride rate. I wonder if I might have to start downloading 180bpm dance music Sad. Anyway, for the meantime, TdJ: The Hives, Hate To Say I Told You So.

Then again, this suggests there's plenty of potential out there. Time for a new playlist, methinks. Smile
06-02-2013, 03:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2013, 09:11 PM by Sweder.)
(06-02-2013, 01:28 PM)marathondan Wrote: ... no sign of the ashes ...

That's enough Aussie-bating for now, eh?

I've missed out on all the music bpm chat. I do find it fun to run to the music that pops up, randomly, via Planet Rock. They rarely play two Deathmetal tracks in a row so I often get something pleasant for recovery, such as, yesterday, When The Levee Breaks by Led Zep.

Good to see some running news here. All that talk of swimming was making me sea-sick Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-02-2013, 09:08 PM,
(06-02-2013, 01:04 PM)marathondan Wrote: (You are taking step-back weeks by the way, aren't you?)

Ah, yes. Given my lifestyle it's actually hard to avoid them. Dodgy

I'll write up my most recent efforts laterer on today.
Run. Just run.
06-02-2013, 09:21 PM,
(06-02-2013, 01:28 PM)marathondan Wrote: A return to tempo running means a return to running with music, and the well used "Run - Tempo" playlist. As I'm now a full convert to higher-cadence running, there's now nothing in my library that matches my stride rate.

I have upped my cadence over the last couple of years but am still nowhere near 180, and am beginning to wonder if it's entirely necessary, although I concede I'm running better (and faster) for having increased it as far as I have (nearing 170).

Here's a very interesting analysis of the form and technique of elite athletes at the 2011 Boston marathon. There's a surprising amount of variability in running styles between them all. And yes, whilst most of them have a very high cadence (high 180s, even 190s) there are some exceptions - Ryan Hall, notably.

Maybe Mr. Hall just doesn't like dance music?
Run. Just run.
12-02-2013, 11:02 PM,
Curses, I’m actually starting to enjoy the swimming. That wasn’t meant to happen. 6 weeks in, and it’s getting a bit easier. I still can’t do a lot of the drills properly, but the act of trying is enough to bring about a small improvement in technique. There are so many things to think about – entry, exit, hand shape, exhalation, inhalation, breathing frequency, rotation, kicking from the hips, head position, not going too fast leading to drowning… it’s impossible to work on all of these at once. But by focusing on one at a time, each one is slowly and subconsciously added to the repertoire. Turns out it’s easier to learn a highly technical sport with a teacher – whoda thunk it?

Last week’s ride was a blast through driving rain only a couple of degrees above freezing. I learned why cyclists favour really skin-tight lycra instead of the Ron Hill tracksters that I was wearing; these normally cosy garments quickly became saturated, and the spare inch or so of fabric flapped around in the wind. I tacked on a two mile run to the end, and couldn’t work out the source of the strange noise… eventually I realized it was my shoes squelching. They dried out… after a mile and a half or so.

Meanwhile, in public humiliation news… I have entered an event! Toshiba Windsor Triathlon (Olympic distance), 16th June. It’s perfect for me in that it’s only 15 mins down the road, and I know the roads for the bike leg and they’re pretty flat (if you recall, Rusty doesn’t do hills, due to some pesky missing gears). Better still, Scope was offering golden bond places for £20 instead of the normal entry fee of £90. I really hope they’re not making up that difference out of donations… but my conscience is choosing to ignore that issue – I’ll do my bit and the charity will do theirs. Anyway, it seems the economics are rather different from the London Marathon, where the golden bond entry fee is a lot higher than the normal entry fee, and the sponsorship pledge is generally upwards of £1500 (here it’s only £350).

Having looked at past results, I also think there’s a reasonable chance of not coming last. Very unusually, the swim leg of last year’s event was cancelled because the Thames was flowing too fast after extreme rain, but the 2011 results show a handful of plodders in my likely ballpark. One of whom was the winner (and only entrant) in the F70 class. (Who knows, maybe by this year she’ll be F75.)

Anyway, what this means is that I’m back where I like to be – the man with the plan. I have a date, I have a number of weeks (17), I have some distances on a spreadsheet and I am very much looking forward to ticking them off. (Highlighting may be involved.) Of course my plan is woefully below the minimum get-you-round programme proposed by all the expert websites, but to those experts I say this: you don’t run a marathon dressed as a gorilla without knowing a thing or two about training for the unknown. And when your main goal is to finish faster than a 70 year old woman, you can afford to wing it a bit.

Game on!
12-02-2013, 11:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013, 11:36 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(12-02-2013, 11:02 PM)marathondan Wrote: ... And when your main goal is to finish faster than a 70 year old woman, you can afford to wing it a bit.

All I can say about that is to repeat this short extract from my Sydney Half-Marathon race report last year... remember there are plenty of astonishing 70-year olds!

Here though, as we approach 19km, something a little remarkable happens: from behind I hear this frail but insistent voice half-yelling "Coming through! Excuse me, thank you! Coming through!", and passing me on my right is a four-foot nothing elderly waif of a woman running gamely past what for the most part is a group of young, fit, healthy runners who are doing OK thank you. Still, here's this elderly elf boldly overtaking the lot of us. I'm greatly impressed and pick up my pace enough to stride with her a while and ask "Excuse me, but exactly how young are you, if you don't mind me asking?" "I'm in my 71st year" she happily replies. "Well you're an inspiration - that's fantastic running!" I say, to which she modestly replies "Well thank you, but I'm finding it a bit of a challenge." Challenge my foot - she zooms off and I see no more of her. Astonishing lady!
Run. Just run.
12-02-2013, 11:42 PM,
Hurrah! The Man With The Plan is BACK.
Game on indeed.

24-02-2013, 08:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-02-2013, 07:49 AM by marathondan.)
Week 0 of 17

Thurs lunchtime - tempo session along a muddy canal towpath. Lovely mild weather - I left my hat and gloves in the office lobby. No sign of the agents – clearly I’ve blown their cover. TdJ – HMHB, Irk the Purists – something of an anthem for my approach to triathlon.

Week 1 of 17

Away for a short break in the Peak District. Ironically considering it’s one of the UK’s favourite outdoor activity regions, I achieved no training. Mistress Merlem instructed that we should do some swimming during the half term break otherwise it would “feel strange” when we come back. I snatched 150m in Matlock leisure pool during family frolics. It feels strange already. Still a mountain to climb on the swimming front.

The closest I came to multisport was working out how to walk a mile carrying a child and a bike at the same time, after Emma (4) unsurprisingly didn’t manage the 5 mile challenge set for her. Happy days.

Back home at the weekend, and managed an hour or so brick including 2 mile run, on a blustery afternoon a few degrees above zero. I find myself dropping straight into around 8:10 pace for the run which is great; it sure feels weird after the bike, but everything seems to work OK.

Time to get a little more serious now. 16 weeks to go, which puts me around Christmas Day in the usual spring marathon calendar. The swim lesson will expand into a combo with short bike ride (apparently only a bike + run is a brick; anything else is a combo). A lunchtime swim session will be added in the week, breaking my 3 sessions a week rule but I’ve got such a long way to go in swimming that I think it’s needed. The brick will remain the longest session, building up week by week and maxing out at the full distance (40K bike + 10K run) before taper time. That should be about equivalent to the 20 mile pre-marathon run. Come late April I will get the wetsuit down from the loft and do a few weeks of open water swimming.

Simple huh?
25-02-2013, 02:55 PM,
I'm bound to say after reading that how grateful I am to just head out the door and slog off some miles. None too taxing compared with the plotting and scheming required to put a triathlon schedule together.

25-02-2013, 11:10 PM,
(25-02-2013, 02:55 PM)Sweder Wrote: I'm bound to say after reading that how grateful I am to just head out the door and slog off some miles. None too taxing compared with the plotting and scheming required to put a triathlon schedule together.

Yep, running is an altogether simpler and purer pleasure. Fortunately the novelty hasn't worn off yet. By June I may be heartily sick of the hassle.

Decent swim lesson tonight, lots of float work (hard). No sense that it's all coming together yet. But it's still early days.

Then 5 miles home on the bike on a cold night in wet trunks, fair brought a tear to my eye.
28-02-2013, 01:54 PM,
Tue – Lunchtime canalside tempo run. TdJ – a second week at number 1 for HMHB, pop pickers, this time the appropriate Restless Legs. No sign of the comrades again, looks like the red eagle has flown.

Wed – rest day. Left hamstring and tendon behind the knee are feeling a bit sore. I’m using muscle groups that aren’t used to it. On the plus side, the usual suspects – quads, ankles, achilles, calves – are in fine fettle, due to the low impact.

Thu – that tendon issue is a bit better after a (short) night’s sleep, but it’s still there. Lunchtime swim session, 3 x 250m. I’m still a long way from a continuous 250m crawl, so I alternated crawl with breast or backstroke, 1/1 to start with and then 2/1. This is the equivalent of a run / walk strategy. Having said that, the mature lady doing sedate breast stroke behind me seemed to keep up with my crawl pretty well. Maybe it’s more like a walk / stumble strategy. Oh, and after I master 250, I only need to cover 6 times that distance on race day.

Remember, this is all about recapturing the fear factor of stepping into the unknown.

I think the lunchtime swim session will be a good investment of my time.
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM,
Finished my first 4-session week with a nice brick, up to about 1h10 now so it's starting to feel like a proper workout instead of a tryout session.

February totals:

Swim: 5 sessions, 3h35
Bike: 5 sessions, 2h40
Run: 6 sessions, 2h
Total: 8h15, equivalent to about 55 miles running

The figures were scuppered a bit by going away at half term. But I'm on the plan now, so things will increase.
01-03-2013, 11:56 PM,
I agree with Sweder. If you miss a run, it's just one run out of your schedule, but if you miss a tri session, you've busted the whole week. Logistical nightmares! I doffs my hat to you, Dan.
Run. Just run.
02-03-2013, 02:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(28-02-2013, 01:54 PM)marathondan Wrote: Having said that, the mature lady doing sedate breast stroke behind me seemed to keep up with my crawl pretty well.

Big Grin That happened to me a few times last summer!
Managed to maintain my crawl after a few sessions but just couldn't seem to get much faster. I think, as you have already mentioned, that some sort of expert advice is the key.... following your progress with interest.
03-03-2013, 01:57 PM,
Blimey. Hugely impressed with your organisation as usual Dan. You'll be building an aqua aerobics pool in your garden next.
04-03-2013, 09:17 AM,
Apropos of nothing, quote of the day for me, which may appeal to some of you GOMs out there:

"I may have crossed another generational rubicon. You spend the first part of your life thinking the world is in trouble because it's run by the older generation. Then you wake up to find that the world is in trouble because it's run by the younger generation. "
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM,
Best of luck with your triathlon training, Dan! I wish I could train swimming as well but I can't swim well, so I get tired very soon.

04-03-2013, 08:12 PM,
(04-03-2013, 04:58 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I wish I could train swimming as well but I can't swim well, so I get tired very soon.

Me too! At the start of the year I could only swim 25m of front crawl before I ran out of breath. Now it's something like 75m. I only have to reach 1500m by June...
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM,
Little by little you'll reach your aim, Dan!

Best of luck!

08-03-2013, 11:13 PM,
Week 3 of 17

Mon – a paradoxically easy yet hard swim session. Hard because of the distance. Easy because, apart from the warmup, it was all conducted wearing fins. When Mistress Merlem increased the warmup from the usual 150m to 400m we initially thought she was addressing the wrong group, but we got on with it. Then we donned the fins for 2 x 25m easy + 25m hard. As we recovered our breath, she prescribed 2 x 50m easy + 50m hard. A slightly sadistic smile played on her features as she went on to 2 x 75m easy + 75m hard. Gasping, we were grateful that, at last, it was time to move on to something lower intensity. Then she mentioned 2 x 100m easy + 100m hard. “You will surprise yourself,” she said.

I’m not sure I did – by this point I knew I would complete it, even if at a lower workrate. But it was an interesting lesson. Not a word of technical advice given in the whole hour – just get out there and do what you’ve been taught. An easy session for the teacher – but a surprisingly instructive one for us. We covered more than a mile in the hour, for the first time. But it was mostly with fins, much easier than the real thing. Judicious work with the fins cuts the difficulty and allows one to feel the stroke more and think about technique – the basic need to avoid drowning is removed. And no doubt it works the legs well, too.

Rounded off with 5 miles home on the bike, which was relatively pleasant. The temperature was up just a degree or two on last week, which makes all the difference. Still needing ski gloves, ski mask and technical top plus two base layers though.

Wed – donned the singlet for a distinctly springlike midday run. Encountered a couple of tracksuit-clad runners, who really need to get with the program. The agents were back, now dressed more lightly, in accordance with the season. But one was wearing what looked like a cowboy hat – an overt sign that they have defected, perhaps? TdJ: Metallica – Blackened; a proper feel-bad track to drive me on.

Thu – lunchtime swim.

250m 1/1 crawl / back
250m 2/1 ditto
250m 2/1 ditto
250m crawl

The last set is a seriously big deal for me. It may not look like much, but it’s probably the first time I’ve done that in 25 years. It was slow and awkward, but it’s a real sign of progress, maybe like the beginner runner completing their first 5K without walking.

Fri - a sound brick in heavy rain. I was soaked to the skin after 10 minutes, socks blackened from the contents of endless road puddles. I missed a turn towards the end of the bike leg, and added on 2 miles by accident. The run leg is now up to 3 miles, which justifed a trip up to my old haunt, the muddy field. After several dry weeks, the ground was hard and everywhere was standing water. My road shoes didn't stand a chance, adding significantly to the effort level no doubt.

Total time was around 90 minutes, knackered but happy. If I was only running, that would have been about 10 miles. This is the first time I've felt properly fatigued after a brick session, actually nodding off in my chair after the kids were home from school. I guess 90 minutes is around the duration I should start thinking about topping up my carbs on the go. Also, in marathon days, I would be doing this long session on a Sunday night, meaning that sleep is exactly what I would want to do afterwards. I'm not used to this daylight stuff.

Step back next week.

A satisfying week's work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2013 Part Deux marathondan 75 59,413 10-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Last Post: marathondan