Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013: Tri-ing something new
23-04-2013, 10:44 AM,
RE: 2013: Tri-ing something new
Lake temperature is currently reported as around 11C. This is apparently the minimum recommended for an open water event.
23-04-2013, 10:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013, 10:59 AM by Sweder.)
(23-04-2013, 09:48 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(23-04-2013, 08:36 AM)Sweder Wrote: What's a travel medical?

I imagine you've got a vaccine or two knocking round your system, old boy. Or do the local viruses and bugs get together and get vaccinated against you when they hear that a visit is imminent?

Come to think of it I needed a jab to get my Indian visa in 2004. Otherwise I don't usually go in for all that. Mind you, I'm not exactly camping halfway up the Congo. I'm more likely to catch something nasty from Gregg's Table than on my travels.
Food critics don't get tougher than this.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-04-2013, 11:05 AM,
I was due a top-up, I hadn't had any jabs this millenium.

Was it really a good idea to call the restaurant Gregg's Table?
24-04-2013, 07:43 AM,
Sent: 24 April 2013 08:20
Subject: Open Water Swim.co.uk - Opening Saturday 27th April 2013

Dear Member,

The Open Water Swim.co.uk Team are pleased to confirm the Datchet lake will open this Saturday 27th April 2013. With the stunning weather in the last few days the water tempertaure has risen and we are predicting a slightly warmer start than usual with the water above the 12 degrees required.

2013 Opening Times Datchet:
Saturday: 06:00 - 08:45
Sunday: 06:00 - 08:45
Monday (Bank Holidays Only) 06:00- 08:45

BBC Weather says 3C in Datchet at 7am on Sunday. Maybe that will make the water feel warmer by comparison.
24-04-2013, 10:29 AM,
(24-04-2013, 07:43 AM)marathondan Wrote: 2013 Opening Times Datchet:
Saturday: 06:00 - 08:45
Sunday: 06:00 - 08:45
Monday (Bank Holidays Only) 06:00- 08:45
[/font]

Can't get my head around the concept of opening times for a lake. Would it be somehow illegal just to go and jump in ?

Great way to wake up in the morning though... if your body actually survives the initial shock that is...
24-04-2013, 11:12 AM,
(24-04-2013, 10:29 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Can't get my head around the concept of opening times for a lake. Would it be somehow illegal just to go and jump in ?

It's a watersports centre, so I guess someone owns the land.

I think if there was free and easy access to lakes and rivers for swimming in the South East of England, most triathletes would, er, jump at the chance. Maybe in the less crowded parts of the country, things are a bit more relaxed.

And I have to pay for this pleasure as well, of course.
24-04-2013, 12:27 PM,
Man-made lake I suppose.
Swimming going well by the sound of it. Are you noticing any physical changes? (increased arm strength? shirts getting too tight? protruding fins?)
24-04-2013, 12:59 PM,
Yes I guess it's probably man made. Former gravel pit or suchlike.

Swimming is improving by tiny degrees, but I still don't feel any faster, and I still don't feel able to hit that zone like I can in running, where so long as I control pace I can continue indefinitely (until limbs give way). I still don't feel like a swimmer.

Sadly, the Superman physique hasn't started appearing yet, either. I get the feeling that I haven't yet got enough basic technique to be able to knock out endless laps, to be able to develop the muscle strength further, to then develop the technique and fitness even more. It's a virtuous circle, but I'm still standing at the bottom of the moving ferris wheel, trying to jump on.

Having said that, I can feel huge improvements in my technique. I feel like I'm getting towards Mr Smooth. But as I tire, I quickly become Mr Flail.
24-04-2013, 01:09 PM,
I should have looked at that site sooner. This is me. They even use the phrase "virtuous circle". Also "Seen pausing at the end of the pool to catch their breath."
26-04-2013, 10:15 AM,
Aficionados of the Brighton Marathon may not be aware that there is a full TV programme about the race here on 4oD.

Also marathon fans, don't forget the VLM 2014 online entries open on Monday. And probably close, as well.
29-04-2013, 12:22 PM,
Blimey I only just got there in time. I assumed it was going to open at 0900 today.

Who knows, maybe I'll be here next year.
03-06-2013, 12:18 PM,
Sad smileys all round. I've pulled out of the triathlon.

I did a lake swim a few weeks ago, and it was actually better than I expected. But deep down I knew that my swimming is still too weak. I'm not at the stage where I can just get into a rhythm and swim indefinitely, no matter how slowly I do it. The rigidity of the training was also getting to me - long bike rides can only be practically done during the day, and even if the weather's great I don't want a hobby that takes over my life. Swimming necessarily requires some overhead; lessons of course are a fixed time commitment. All a far cry from my days of fitting marathon training in whenever I found a spare hour or two.

I also have an underlying problem that I'm pretty fed up with my career, which has recently come to a sufficient head to kill off much of my motivation in other areas of life, too. Maybe without that issue at the same time, I would have stuck at it. And while endurance sport is much more than just a sticking plaster, it is a way of introducing some adventure into the relatively safe and predictable life of the modern suburban human. So in a sense I feel that I should be putting all my energy into solving my underlying problem, rather than indulging in escapism.

Running? I haven't taken a step of training for over a month. Part of me says that I should get back out there and it may energise and motivate me. I've even got time for a shot at the Robin Hood marathon in September, if I fancied that. Certainly there are halfs aplenty to aim at. But I wonder if, just this once, running isn't the answer, and I should instead invest the time in reading self-help books, poring over job websites and attending career seminars.

And will I return to triathlon? Not sure. Another year of swim lessons would certainly help. Right now I'm not inclined to do that. I'm starting to see why there are very few "fun" triathletes - it's a bigger commitment than running, for sure. That was pretty obvious from the outset, but I always have to learn these lessons myself.

So that's me. No biggie really, we live and learn. Probably don't expect too much from me till I get this job thing sorted out.

Looking forward to hearing all the P2P buildup from Down Under and the South Downs, among others.

Peace.
03-06-2013, 12:32 PM,
Some kind of mid life crisis? I can relate to that ... seriously, I understand the impact your work life has on your training. It is seriously debilitating when work/career isn't going well. The work/life balance game isn't reliant on just you having a positive approach to non-work activities; work has to be going well otherwise everything is out of kilter, and it's hard on training when the career is faltering.

Hang in there Dan ... you just need to get through this bad stretch and it will all come good. Perhaps indeed, just get back to basics, an easy run or two will restore some balance and perspective, and perhaps then you'll see the way ahead. Either way, it's not over. It's just another turnstile in the subway station of life (*gak*, forgive my cheesy analogies). As you say, focus on the underlying problem and the rest will fall into place.
Run. Just run.
03-06-2013, 04:56 PM,
Good call Dan. Knowing when to close something down and walk away is not always easy but can also be liberating. Particularly if there are more pressing issues requiring your attention.

Cycling is time consuming and swimming requires open water or a pool. Which is why running is such a good sport. It's economical and ready when you are.

I agree with MLCMM. A regular run can be part of your routine and help you through change or give you perspective. It can dissipate stress or cognitive dissonance. You don't need any other goal than that really. Or a spreadsheet. Honestly. Wink

But whatever you decide I hope you manage to formulate a decent plan.
03-06-2013, 07:02 PM,
Running without a goal?!?!? but... but... but...

Oh, OK. I'll pack my kit for tomorrow lunchtime. It will do me good.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys. Smile
04-06-2013, 01:34 PM,
I think that training for a triathlon requires too much time although it must be very good for the whole body since you use a lot of muscles. I think that we should do sport enjoying it since it helps us to overcome problems that we may have in our lives.

Best of luck, Dan!

04-06-2013, 09:44 PM,
(04-06-2013, 01:34 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I think that training for a triathlon requires too much time although it must be very good for the whole body since you use a lot of muscles.

Well, I cut it down to the bare minimum, only 4 sessions a week, but even that was too much for someone like me who really only likes to train a few hours per week.

The low impact was certainly good for my joints. I don't think I'd even reached the level of swimming where I was getting a good upper body workout, but that would have come in time. And the "brick" (bike+run session) is a spiritual experience akin to the long run.
05-06-2013, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM by Sweder.)
A brave decision, Dan, and clearly the right one for you.

Funny how other areas of life affect training. When I'm flat out at work, with barely five minutes to draw breath, is when I most feel like making time for a run, though not lately.

As usual, MLcMan and G-man share great wisdom. To run without a target in mind is to run free.
Just feeling that you don't have to run may in itself rekindle something. Or not. Balance is the key.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-06-2013, 10:39 AM,
Well Dan, you certainly gave it a good tri! Admirable bit of exploration ....but I reckon you're a runner at heart ... most triathletes I've met aren't!
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM,
Thanks BB for that closing pun. I was just thinking that the real killer for me is that the long session really needs to be done in daylight. A 20-25 mile bike ride in the dark most weeks just isn't practical. And in my 8 (eek) years of "more than 10K" running, I've hardly ever done a long session during the daytime. It's just not me.

Just back from an easy 3 lunchtime miles along the canal, in glorious sunshine. Just what the doctors ordered.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2013 Part Deux marathondan 75 59,558 10-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Last Post: marathondan