Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January 2013
08-01-2013, 12:57 PM,
January 2013
We're only into the second week of January and already the running calender seems to have been action packed.

2012 feels like it was a disappointing year of stop and start with few highlights. But when I think about it that's not true. I ran the Bradford 10k in March as a come-back race and managed 22nd with a creditable 37:16.Then there's March and April where I ran in both the Northern and National 12-stage road relays at Liverpool and Birmingham respectively. I can't remember exact times and distances but I think the long leg I ran at Liverpool was the fasted I've ever run over a 10kish distance.

More injury problems followed; but I did manage a handful of fell races over the summer and picked up a couple of first V40 prizes along the way. Then this Winter has seen me get stuck into some cross-country races and come up smiling.

So, back to New Year's Day. It's only 11:30 on the first day of the year and I'm already celebrating a RACE WIN. Things can't be bad. Or would it all be downhill from here?

It was certainly DOWNHILL to the finish and my hamstrings were tender all week.

Then onto Saturday and the YORKSHIRE XC. Looking at the majority of the runners at this event (here are the WINNERS) it becomes plain-as-daylight what kind of body shape you need to do really well at running. And I guess that's one aim for this year. To give myself more of a fighting chance by not carrying so much excess. I'm not doing too badly. But there's substantial room for IMPROVEMENT.

I probably did set-off alittle too fast; but it wasn't a badly timed effort and I was pleased to finish as a 4th counter for my club. It's difficult not to get caught up in it all. The top lads ate up the course in phenomenal fashion.

As usual a New Year brings new hope and a new resolve. But to be honest I'm more interested in seeing if I can go the whole year without serious injury. My motto this year is definitely 'Stay in the game at all costs'.

To that end things like evening tempo sessions on the road will be replaced by lunchtime jaunts through the woods.

Next stop: The Physio. From there it could be The Hebden (LDWA) or back on the bike.
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM,
RE: January 2013
Good grief man: silverware! Magnificent.
18'12" - is that a 5k course? Some start the year indeed.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-01-2013, 02:06 PM,
(08-01-2013, 01:46 PM)Sweder Wrote: 18'12" - is that a 5k course? Some start the year indeed.

3 miles - not too shabby!

Looks like you did it in fancy dress, as well! Smile What exactly does "dressed only in a wide variety of night attire" mean?

And an 8 year old finished in 28:33. It's obviously in the water round your way.

Great work though mate.
08-01-2013, 03:24 PM,
Cheers lads. The truth is Dan that life is hard up North. Although you would probably survive a brief stint in Ilkley or Harrogate Big Grin

I think a Virtual Trophy Cabinet is in order. I must scan my cardboard race certificate. I've already eaten the chocolate.
08-01-2013, 08:48 PM,
That time would but you in decent company at Hove Parkrun mate.
Cap doffed.

10-01-2013, 11:38 AM,
Glaconman.

Champion!
Run. Just run.
13-01-2013, 10:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-01-2013, 11:03 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
Mightily impressed with those times and race placings Glaconman. I was never able to run a sub-40 minute 10K. Did manage a few sub-1:30 half marathons though. But as Antonio once said .. they were times that belonged to another life!
Tell us more about the Hebden race. When is it?
27-02-2013, 02:49 PM,
BB;

Apologies for being abit late with my update. Life. Conveyor Belt. Etc

The Hebden went ahead as planned. An LDWA event long-since over-run with runners. It started and finished in Mytholmroyd, peaking and troughing around the valleys surrounding Hebden Bridge. I opted for the short 15.5 miler.

There was fresh snow on the ground and it made for a great morning in the hills. I grew up in The Calder Valley and the race is all-the-more meaningful as it passes the gravestone of a close friend just after checkpoint one.

I ran with the winner for 10 miles then got dropped on the final big climb up to Stoodley Pike. Blowing up on such a long race is never pleasant; but all was forgotten when I got to HQ and started digging into pie and peas followed by crumble and custard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26082075@N0...402066301/

I ran in the National Cross Country Championships last Saturday. I suspect this could be a really epic day. But on this occassion there were no round edges and the whole thing was abit of an ordeal. From driving upto Sunderland in snow; going off farrrrrrrrrrrr too fast in the race itself; dealing with being dehydrated, hyperglycemic and mildly
hypothermic at the end; to trying to get my cloths back on and then queueing up for the ridiculous park and ride at the end. I've never had my arse kicked so badly in a race. It was a slow, horrible death. In freezing mud.

The year before it had been in sunshine on Parliament Hill.

But maybe I'm lucky to have experienced this event in it's true colours. Suffering appears to be part of the code in XC.

http://www.athleticos.org/coverage/25051...al-XC-2013

There have been lots of pleasant and not-so-pleasant running in-between. But I guess the other headline is that I've entered the 3 Peaks fell race at the end of April. Better get some long runs in.
27-02-2013, 09:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013, 09:30 PM by Sweder.)
The Three Peaks. I do like the look of that.

April is shaping up to be quite the month in these parts.

28-02-2013, 10:02 AM,
Thanks Sweder. They do say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Apparently the race doesn't start until the top of Wernside. Which I suspect means that you should feel comfortable and untroubled until that point.
02-03-2013, 12:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013, 12:01 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Go, go Glaconman!

Enjoying the ride. Smile
Run. Just run.
02-03-2013, 02:17 PM,
(27-02-2013, 02:49 PM)glaconman Wrote: But I guess the other headline is that I've entered the 3 Peaks fell race at the end of April. Better get some long runs in.

3 peaks. The stuff of fell running legends. I’d love to read your report on that race Glaconman.
02-03-2013, 08:43 PM,
I'll try and keep the blog a bit more up-to-date with progress on The Peaks.

I've only got another 7 weekends if I want to give myself a proper 2 week taper. So I really need to get my house in order with the long runs and the weight. My main aim is to get round without blowing up. It's my Achilles heal at all distances. I go out too fast. And in this race the consequences can be dire.

BB is right. There have been plenty of great WINNERS and the race has a great HISTORY. So from that point-of-view it will be good just to take part and experience it. And if I can have some self-control I might have a good day.

I'm out for a long one tomorrow morning. Let's see where I'm at.
03-03-2013, 02:29 PM,
16.01 hilly miles this morning. So things aren't looking too bad.
03-03-2013, 03:35 PM,
Lucky sod. My lot cranked out 20 road miles whilst I stuffed myself into a tiny airline seat for a trip to a soggy Dam. I'll get mine on Tuesday though : )

03-03-2013, 08:48 PM,
Ah, the 3 Peaks.

I never walked them all in one go, as many do on the big annual sponsored walk, but I've been up all of them individually, and some a few times, though my Whernsides and my Ingleboroughs get blurred with my Pen-y-Ghents after a couple of wine-ravaged decades. But fantastic landmarks and glorious views. Those Yorkshire dudes are rightly proud to have such a wonderful landscape.

But to run them? Wow, quite a task, and end of April I suppose means a very unpredictable climate. Likely to be wet and cold and slimy underfoot. Ugh. "Respect"!
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-03-2013, 10:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM by glaconman.)
Like you Andy I've walked up all the peaks and on more than one occasion. I do remember doing all 3 in one go and it was a gruelling number of hours on my feet. 9 or something. Which is why I'm much happier going back to run the thing. I'm hoping to get it done and dusted in around 4 hours. And of course the occasion and support will make it more memorable.

I feel alittle ambivalent about that part of Yorkshire. Whilst it's great to be on top of Ingleborough looking out across to The Lakes and over The Howgills etc I do prefer the more intense nooks and crannies of the South Pennines. Or even just the more intimate valleys within Upper Wharfedale. These areas contain more diverse landscapes and wildlife and more human imprint with much industrial history that I've grown to really value.

Regarding the weather you're spot on. Some years it's blazing sun. Others there's a dangerous wind chill and it's even been cancelled because of snow. So that's probably a big factor in it's appeal, the unpredictable nature of conditions on the day. Although I imagine I'll have a reasonable idea a few days before. Famous last words.
11-03-2013, 07:32 AM,
(06-03-2013, 10:37 PM)glaconman Wrote: I feel alittle ambivalent about that part of Yorkshire. Whilst it's great to be on top of Ingleborough looking out across to The Lakes and over The Howgills etc I do prefer the more intense nooks and crannies of the South Pennines. Or even just the more intimate valleys within Upper Wharfedale. These areas contain more diverse landscapes and wildlife and more human imprint with much industrial history that I've grown to really value.

I tip my hat to your insider knowledge. As a visitor (you can live in Yorkshire for 12 years, as I did, and never be anything other than a visitor!) I loved the whole lot, but take your point about the industrial history. The landmarks from the industrial revolution and beyond are doubtless among the most poignant and dramatic features of the whole area - North, South and West Yorkshire.

I love the way you weave your ancestral sensibilities with your love of running.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-04-2013, 09:17 PM,
Doing the 3 Peaks next weekend then Glaconman? Good luck if you are ...
24-04-2013, 09:12 PM,
(22-04-2013, 09:17 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Doing the 3 Peaks next weekend then Glaconman? Good luck if you are ...

Thanks for the kind thoughts BB.

It's been an odd and slightly difficult few months both in and out of my running shoes. Indeed, until this morning I'd all but sacked the idea off. And felt relieved about it.

Now it looks as though I'm going to at least turn up and have a run around. I'm thinking of it as a recce for next year Shy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June 2013 glaconman 5 3,184 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  January glaconman 6 2,692 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Sweder