Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Train Journeys
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM,
Great Train Journeys
I might be biased, but may I warmly commend Michael Portillo's look at Switzerland in Great Continental Railway Journeys? Broadcast last week but still available on iPlayer: Great Continental Railway Journeys - Switzerland.

Splendid programme, presented lovingly by the man who seems to have seamlessly morphed from egregious leader of the Thatcherite Revolutionary Guard to floppy old national treasure.

The whole thing is interesting IMO, but for a little glimpse of where I live, check out 28:10 to 28:50-ish.

Où sont les soleils d'antan? Nice to be reminded of the summer. Lots of snow around at the moment. Nearly slid down the side of a hill coming home from work in the dark and sleet this evening.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM,
RE: Great Train Journeys
(06-12-2012, 08:23 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I might be biased, but may I warmly commend Michael Portillo's look at Switzerland in Great Continental Railway Journeys? Broadcast last week but still available on iPlayer: Great Continental Railway Journeys - Switzerland.

iPlayer is geo-blocked and can't be used outside the UK. You'll have to pirate us a copy EG!
Run. Just run.
07-12-2012, 06:58 AM,
(06-12-2012, 09:32 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 08:23 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I might be biased, but may I warmly commend Michael Portillo's look at Switzerland in Great Continental Railway Journeys? Broadcast last week but still available on iPlayer: Great Continental Railway Journeys - Switzerland.

iPlayer is geo-blocked and can't be used outside the UK. You'll have to pirate us a copy EG!

Yes it is, so I -- er, sorry, I mean some people -- have to use an IP masking thingie to use iPlayer or Netflix. I am told that StrongVPN works rather well, though there are free alternatives out there, if one can tolerate the ads.

There's a nice bit in there about Lucerne/Luzern BTW, though you'll be seeing it for real in a few months.
El Gordo

07-12-2012, 07:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012, 07:20 AM by El Gordo.)
Oooh, it's your lucky day, MLCMM. Some kind person has put it on YouTube. What a lovely fellow that Portillo has become. When he says "...with every signal box looking after us -- every kilometre... of the way....", I want to weep. Oh, I am lost in something here. Where does Morgan Freeman's Red crossing the border end, and Portillo's diction begin? I am rambling.

But really -- a lovely programme/series, full of easily digestible history, and based on a 1913 railway guide to Europe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APY-m9aTenM

or.....

El Gordo

07-12-2012, 07:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012, 07:19 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(07-12-2012, 06:58 AM)El Gordo Wrote:

Yes it is, so I -- er, sorry, I mean some people -- have to use an IP masking thingie to use iPlayer or Netflix. I am told that StrongVPN works rather well, though there are free alternatives out there, if one can tolerate the ads.

I've been looking for a domain-blocker for some time in order to listen to (especially) test cricket around the planet, but have had no luck with them ... painfully slow and/or full of mega-annoying advertising, as you say. If anyone knows of a good one, speak now!

And fabbo - Mrs MLCMM and I will watch the YouTube copy of it tonight, before it gets taken down. Thanks EG!
Run. Just run.
07-12-2012, 07:27 AM,
(07-12-2012, 07:17 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(07-12-2012, 06:58 AM)El Gordo Wrote:

I've been looking for a domain-blocker for some time in order to listen to (especially) test cricket around the planet, but have had no luck with them ... painfully slow and/or full of mega-annoying advertising, as you say. If anyone knows of a good one, speak now!

And fabbo - Mrs MLCMM and I will watch the YouTube copy of it tonight, before it gets taken down. Thanks EG!

This is the free one I used to use -- ExpatShield. It worked well, though I had a bit of virus and pop-up trouble that I suspected (perhaps wrongly) was linked to this. Fair to say that others have not complained of that issue. I think it's aimed at getting a UK IP.

The one that many expats in Switzerland use is StrongVPN which allows you to specify which location you want to 'be in', as it were. Costs about 50 USD a year I believe, but is extremely robust.
El Gordo

07-12-2012, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM by Sweder.)
I use ExPatSheild. Great for BBC content, though not used it for TMS as yet.
Cook just run out on 190 taking evasive action. Shameful end to yet another massive innings from the skipper, 5th ton in 5 tests, 3rd consecutive in India. Most test tons by an Englishman, still a long career ahead. Quite likes batting Down Under, I believe Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-12-2012, 07:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012, 08:06 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(07-12-2012, 07:50 AM)Sweder Wrote: I use ExPatSheild. Great for BBC content, though not used it for TMS as yet.
Cook just run out on 190 taking evasive action. Shameful end to yet another massive innings from the skipper, 5th ton in 5 tests, 3rd consecutive in India. Most test tons by an Englishman, still a long career ahead. Quite likes batting Down Under, I believe Big Grin

I saw most of that century (courtesy cable TV at work ... ahem) and he looks punishingly good. I read a recent article comparing him with Michael Clarke, and the author made quite a good case for Cook being the better player, despite Clarke's devastating form this year.

These new boys though, e.g. Nick Compton ... where do you find them again? Oh, that's right ... South Africa. Dodgy
Run. Just run.
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM,
Always a great comfort when the Aussies start clutching at that dubious passport straw.
Bring. It. On.
Big Grin

07-12-2012, 08:15 AM,
(07-12-2012, 08:01 AM)Sweder Wrote: Always a great comfort when the Aussies start clutching at that dubious passport straw.
Bring. It. On.
Big Grin

Speaking of dubious South Africans, what happened to Skunk Pietersen? he doesn't look half the player he used to be?
Run. Just run.
07-12-2012, 10:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM by Sweder.)
(07-12-2012, 08:15 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(07-12-2012, 08:01 AM)Sweder Wrote: Always a great comfort when the Aussies start clutching at that dubious passport straw.
Bring. It. On.
Big Grin

Speaking of dubious South Africans, what happened to Skunk Pietersen? he doesn't look half the player he used to be?

Apart from his ton in the last test and a rapid fire 54 today? Not much. He's easing his way back in like a scolded child. A dichotomous fellow, as ever. Like many I mutter darkly about the self-serving Prima Donna until he lights up a test match as he did v India recently. Simply took the game away form the bewildered hosts.

By the way, nice to see Aussie poaching one of our young swimming stars this week. Run out of local swimmers, have you?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/br...6529248288

07-12-2012, 10:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012, 11:15 AM by Sweder.)
(07-12-2012, 10:39 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(07-12-2012, 08:15 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
Bring. It. On.
Big Grin

Apart from his ton in the last test and a rapid fire 54 today? Not much. He's easing his way back in like a scolded child. A dichotomous fellow, as ever. Like many I mutter darkly about the self-serving Prima Donna until he lights up a test match as he did v India recently. Simply took the game away form the bewildered hosts.

By the way, nice to see Aussie poaching one of our young swimming stars this week. Run out of local swimmers, have you?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/br...6529248288

Yes, but only because she's cute. Which can't be said for Pietersen. Smile
Run. Just run.
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM,
(07-12-2012, 07:13 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Oooh, it's your lucky day, MLCMM. Some kind person has put it on YouTube. What a lovely fellow that Portillo has become. When he says "...with every signal box looking after us -- every kilometre... of the way....", I want to weep. Oh, I am lost in something here. Where does Morgan Freeman's Red crossing the border end, and Portillo's diction begin? I am rambling.

But really -- a lovely programme/series, full of easily digestible history, and based on a 1913 railway guide to Europe:

Watched. Brilliant! We're on our way.
Run. Just run.