Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Du bist ein hamburger??
02-05-2013, 09:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM by glaconman.)
RE: Du bist ein hamburger??
I think MLCMM is your man for the canoeing/kayaking conundrum. I'm sure the local club will hold taster sessions.

Another thing I would recommend is this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Wild-Boff-Whalley/dp/1471101800/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1367487335&sr=8-13&keywords=running+wild

I see BW at small races now and again and the book should interest you from a writing and running perspective. I think you will like him and enjoy his take on things.

(Although I should add that you won't necessarily agree with everything he has to say Wink )
02-05-2013, 09:09 PM,
(02-05-2013, 09:41 AM)glaconman Wrote: I think MLCMM is your man for the canoeing/kayaking conundrum. I'm sure the local club will hold taster sessions.

Another thing I would recommend is this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Wild-Boff-Whalley/dp/1471101800/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1367487335&sr=8-13&keywords=running+wild

I see BW at small races now and again and the book should interest you from a writing and running perspective. I think you will like him and enjoy his take on things.

(Although I should add that you won't necessarily agree with everything he has to say Wink )

Thanks for the book recommendation. I've put it on my wish list to remind me, as I already have more than 20 unread books on my Kindle Sad.

I think the way forward in the short term is walking. Not sure why I've not put more walking miles in here than I have. A few phases, but nothing very adventurous. I've spent ages on this excellent site in the past: www.wanderland.ch, listing routes and places to explore. I'll do a bit, from this weekend. Seems a good way to start teasing some long hill miles into the old legs for a few weekends, and let's see where I end up. Maybe I can turn it into some running. For midweek, a mixture of possibilities. If I can stay positive for a couple of weeks, who knows?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-05-2013, 02:06 PM,
Those woods at the end of your strasse are fabulous, mate. Plenty of energy expended just walking from one end to the other. I would aim to hike through that lot early doors three times a week. That'll get you started.

I love the idea of canoeing. It offers all sorts of core/ upper body benefits. My worry would be the effort required to haul a vessel about. That said there's probably a rental gaff around there somewhere, if not a proper club to join.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-05-2013, 08:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM by El Gordo.)
(03-05-2013, 02:06 PM)Sweder Wrote: Those woods at the end of your strasse are fabulous, mate. Plenty of energy expended just walking from one end to the other. I would aim to hike through that lot early doors three times a week. That'll get you started.

I love the idea of canoeing. It offers all sorts of core/ upper body benefits. My worry would be the effort required to haul a vessel about. That said there's probably a rental gaff around there somewhere, if not a proper club to join.

I had a plod through the woods just a couple of lunchtimes ago. Bloody glorious, they were. I used to quite often get out before breakfast and plod down the hill to the lake, or into the woods for half an hour. Not felt much like it over the last 6 months or so. Maybe it was a winter thing. The weather is perfect for it right now, so I should give it another go.

There are 2 or 3 canoeing clubs on the lake, and there are courses for beginners. I presume they would supply the equipment. I'm slightly reluctant to do it on my own, and as with so many things here, the language is a bit of a challenge. I'd prefer to find something a bit further afield where they might be a bit more geared up for someone like me. I'll take a look right now.

Edited to add: This could be just the thing... http://www.swisstrails.ch/blaetterkatalo...28.html#/0
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.