Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Darling Runs of May
04-05-2013, 05:17 AM,
The Darling Runs of May
After a pretty successful April, I'm afraid May hasn't started so well. A sudden and furious bout of insomnia, coupled with work and home reno demands have curtailed serious running, with only two short (5km) trots to scribble in the logbook. I did try to make them count somewhat however, with this morning's 5km outing ticking over at 5:07/km pace, despite the burden of sleeplessness et al, so a solid workout, if not exactly the 20km long run I had planned.

Track du Jour: I do like a bit of Faithless, and this one is very appropriate at the moment ... a good running track too, and even features a bit of running in the vid.

YTD: 616km
Run. Just run.
04-05-2013, 08:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM by Sweder.)
RE: The Darling Runs of May
Welcome aboard. I've been in this boat for a few weeks now, but don't despair.
Even the small outings count for something if you set a target. Speed work doesn't require piles of miles, just disciplined pacing. A mile warm-up, 8 x 200 metre sprints with 30 second recoveries, a warm down jog, job's a good 'un.

OK, yes, I hanker after a decent 21k hill run as much as the next man, but when it ain't an option it's good to find something else to work on within the constraints of 'life'.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-05-2013, 07:23 AM,
Hmm, reminds me of a cartoon...

[Image: marathon_2.gif]
Run. Just run.
06-05-2013, 09:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013, 09:30 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Be vewwy, vewwy quiet...
I be hunting PBs. Bagged this run this morning before work:

18.35km 1h39m (5:24/km... half mara PB pace!)

YTD: 634.3km

[Image: elmer+fudd+shh+be+very+quiet.jpg]
Run. Just run.
10-05-2013, 01:33 AM,
Maybe, Maybe not...
May continues it's roller-coaster format with a bout of food poisoning throwing my training schedule out the window again. Over the worst of it now, but an enforced rest day and a cloud of uncertainty have now descended. I lost a whole kilo of weight in just a few hours through the night due to continuous barfing.

What fun life can be. Dodgy

Never mind, had I not been as fit as I am thanks to a good year of running, doubtless this would have been far worse.

Back into it very soon.
Run. Just run.
10-05-2013, 08:19 PM,
I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly MLCMM. All the best.

One of the few times I've been at a decent running weight is immediately after a bout if food poisoning.Blush Just shows what a glutton I am by nature.
14-05-2013, 09:47 AM,
This temporary, impromptu bout of weight-loss can only help in your quest.
Remember, the is not try; only do (Yoda)

14-05-2013, 06:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013, 06:58 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Hiccup
Well thanks for the thoughts guys, but it's not good news this end. A slight irregularity on my ECG following a mild but worrying cardiac 'episode' requires further testing and a fairly strong recommendation from my doctor not to run this weekend's half marathon.

Look, it's nothing too serious - the doc has cleared me to continue working even though we suspect it's work that caused the problem, but he thinks the half mara would be a bridge too far, so to speak.

So, R&R for me for a bit... not unwelcome, at least.

Stay tuned, as always.

Smile
Run. Just run.
15-05-2013, 01:51 PM,
Sorry about your cardiac episode, MLCMM. It's a pity you can't take part at Sydney half marathon next Sunday. Anyway, you did Camberra marathon very well just one month ago.

Hope you'll get better soon. Enjoy your rest!

15-05-2013, 03:13 PM,
Well that sucks but good counsel and good on you for taking heed.
Get well soon. Plenty more races in the sea. Er, on the road. As it were.

15-05-2013, 03:25 PM,
Yes, that is frustrating. Hope normal service is resumed in due course. Enjoy the downtime and the time it allows you.
21-05-2013, 08:01 AM,
OK thanks everyone. All test results came back in the clear so it is business as usual. Back in the running shorts shortly! Smile
Run. Just run.
21-05-2013, 10:01 AM,
(21-05-2013, 08:01 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: OK thanks everyone. All test results came back in the clear so it is business as usual. Back in the running shorts shortly! Smile

Good on yer' Smile
22-05-2013, 05:56 AM,
Great news young Crisis!

22-05-2013, 06:24 PM,
I'm very glad you're all right again, MLCMM!

28-05-2013, 07:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013, 07:18 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Well I've jumped back on the horse after twenty long days off with a slow, formless but entirely satisfying 10 kilometres. Now to lead the horse to greener pastures. Am I mixing my metaphors? Whatever... Dodgy It's good to be back, especially after missing the Sydney Half Marathon, needlessly as it transpires. Oh well.

Track du Jour: This has featured before, but well, hey, it's a great track and a beaut one to run into some form to.

10.0km 1h03m
YTD: 656.3km
Run. Just run.
28-05-2013, 05:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013, 05:05 PM by Sweder.)
Hale and hearty (pun intended) is great news. The will be more halfs/ halves to come.
I'm probably going to miss Seaford this Sunday thanks to am ugly chest cough. I say probably, but who knows? I might just wake up and shout 'fuck it' before dashing off into the hills.
It's happened before Big Grin

28-05-2013, 10:57 PM,
(28-05-2013, 05:04 PM)Sweder Wrote: Hale and hearty (pun intended) is great news. The will be more halfs/ halves to come.
I'm probably going to miss Seaford this Sunday thanks to am ugly chest cough. I say probably, but who knows? I might just wake up and shout 'fuck it' before dashing off into the hills.
It's happened before Big Grin

Sounds like you're coughing up plenty of attitude there along with the phlegm, Sweder. Good work.

It won't be long before our thoughts have to turn to some serious hill climbs for the P2P. Training is about to get very interesting.
Run. Just run.