Will try again tomorrow
04-06-2013, 10:29 PM,
Will try again tomorrow
Someone just sent me this, from Runners World - Runners' Stories - Bret Dunlap

Just read the first couple of pages, but must get to bed. Looks good. Will try again tomorrow.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-06-2013, 06:17 AM,
RE: Will try again tomorrow
Looks like it needs a chunk of time set aside to read. Possibly with a box of tissues to hand. The flashy adverts of smiling runners around the rest of the page look strangely incongruous.
05-06-2013, 10:03 AM,
(05-06-2013, 06:17 AM)marathondan Wrote: Looks like it needs a chunk of time set aside to read. Possibly with a box of tissues to hand. The flashy adverts of smiling runners around the rest of the page look strangely incongruous.

Is this appropriate?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-06-2013, 11:59 AM,
(05-06-2013, 10:03 AM)Sweder Wrote: Is this appropriate?

You will feel appropriate shame for that remark when you read it Smile
05-06-2013, 12:08 PM,
It's certainly a hell of a story. Worth a read, that's for sure. Thanks, EG!
Run. Just run.
05-06-2013, 01:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM by Sweder.)
(05-06-2013, 12:08 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: It's certainly a hell of a story. Worth a read, that's for sure. Thanks, EG!

A reminder that the human spirit remains a powerful force when harnessed and applied. Much of the tale, the early parts after the accident, remind me of looking after my mother. We only had a few months of the daily avalanche of duties - medication, physiotherapy, wrestling with non-compliant respirators 24 hours a day, struggling to understand half-speech and scrawl, but it's enough to fully appreciate the sheer effort of will and depth of love and belief his mother showed. When you're in the fray you think nothing of the mountainous task that an outsider might see as overwhelming. You also come to appreciate there is a lot more good in the world than the media might have you believe. The kindness of strangers who become friends, the casual dropping of a kind word that lifts you when you feel you must surely falter and fall, a knowing smile, or simply understanding.

Nicely written, too.

05-06-2013, 01:11 PM,
(05-06-2013, 11:59 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 10:03 AM)Sweder Wrote: Is this appropriate?

You will feel appropriate shame for that remark when you read it Smile

Well said Smile

07-06-2013, 12:47 PM,
I have yet to set aside the time to read that piece, but just came across this on the subject of runners with a disability - and it has gadgets throw in, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etV2xP8IHLg
http://andadapt.com/filming-for-carphone-warehouse/