Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Part Deux
26-09-2013, 05:22 AM,
RE: 2013 Part Deux
Nice little post, Dan. Made me hanker... not so much for my regular running days as for the days when I could post something short, neatly written and non-self-indulgent.

I never did the Henley Half though it always appeared on my calendar as one of those something-to-aim-at-in-the-autumn-to kick-start-training-for-some-fantasy-spring-marathon races. Anyway, neither would happen.

Yesterday I had an entry form through the post for the Zurich Silvesterlauf -- the New Year Run -- that happens in December. With my long-awaited London Marathon entry coming good for 2014, this will be my Henley. My something-to-aim-at-in-the-winter race, though it's only about 8km, so not exactly taxing. But the distance roughly matches the first weekend's "long run" in the schedule so at least it fits.

PS Just listened to the Iron Maiden track. Not my cup of tea especially, but it struck me that the average 60th/70th birthday party these days is more likely to contain jigging Iron Maiden enthusiasts than fans of (say) the great Al Bowlly. Strange how our prejudices tend to outlive reality.

Ah, I can't resist...

Now that's what I call real music....

Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-09-2013, 11:28 AM,
Great stuff. All these tough runs will count heavily come the reckoning.
Iron Maiden - yes, but they'll never top the fervent thrashing of that first album for me.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-09-2013, 01:20 PM,
In a similar vein to EG's Al Bowlly, here's one of my very favourite artists from the '30s ... I actually dug out an original 78rpm chunk of vinyl in the work record library once many years ago of this actual recording, and was completely blown away by it, although the magic here is somewhat lost in the mp3 translation. There's no magic quite like playing a lovely old bit of vinyl from the old days.

But is it good running fodder? Well, maybe, maybe not. But a great song!

Run. Just run.
27-09-2013, 01:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013, 01:34 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Off on a slight tangent, the new fad in this parish is "Open Vinyl Night".

Like Open Mike Night, but you bring your old 45's and take turns to play anything you like. I happened upon one recently and it seemed to be going down a storm. i'm sure many of us have stacks of 45's in the loft gathering dust which we have never MP3'd.

Ok there were a few individuals who looked like they didn't get out much, and the odd person played stuff you hear all the time, but wow I also heard loads of stuff I'd not come across in years.

Seems the idea is catching on round these parts. This was my highlight.

[url=]
27-09-2013, 01:41 PM,
@EG - well that's quite kind of you, as it was certainly self-indulgent (posting music that I already know isn't to most people's taste) and I didn't think it was neatly written. But conversely, that's also the joy of this forum - that one can post a short missive, earth-shattering or trivial, and know that someone friendly will read it and most likely comment on it. I'm touched that you at least listened to the clip!

Well done also for steering the conversation towards early (really early) vinyl - always a good thing. As you mention 60th/70th birthdays I should mention that it was my Mum's 70th a couple of weeks ago. I downloaded a bumper pack of rock 'n' roll hits for background music, which was appreciated. When I was a child there was a smallish stack of her late 50s / early 60s 45's around the house, which we used to listen to regularly (in fact I think she also had a 1960s Decca turntable, one of the ones in a suitcase type box, although I'm not sure it worked). Tragically and bizarrely all of these were lost when they were left in front of a hot fire and melted. A prime example, that is imprinted on my memory, below.

I hope you make steady progress towards the 8K and keep the momentum going towards London. (Hang on, aren't we forgetting that thing with the hill you're doing? I know you're planning to walk it, but even so...) I got my London rejection this week so won't be joining you unfortunately. So time to start looking for an alternative event. (I hear that the Lewes marathon isn't recommended for ostriches, however.)

@Sweder - showing your age I suppose - that young upstart Dickinson a tad vulgar for your tastes? I don't think most Maiden fans rate this album all that much, but it's got a proggy edge which hits the button for me.

@MLCMM - another superb piece of vinyl (not long past the wax cylinder era?) - thanks. I have a soft spot for Hoagy Carmichael / Bix Bierderbecke, from the same era.

Which reminds me actually, as this is turning into a non-neatly-written, self-indulgent ramble - that my Mum and her sister, who were teenagers in the late 50s, recounted that their Mum couldn't understand why anyone would want to listen to the likes of Elvis, as it was "just shouting, not proper singing". I guess she would have grown up hearing the likes of the classical (with a small c) tenors you've linked to here, who were indeed proper singers. Striking how some things never change.

27-09-2013, 01:44 PM,
@SP (we cross-posted) - nice. Although propably more credible without the video. Smile
28-09-2013, 07:01 PM,
(27-09-2013, 01:41 PM)marathondan Wrote: I hope you make steady progress towards the 8K and keep the momentum going towards London. (Hang on, aren't we forgetting that thing with the hill you're doing? I know you're planning to walk it, but even so...)

Stop press -- the Silvesterlauf has become a 10K, which adds the merest gloss of credibility.

The thing with the hill doesn't really count, no. As a walk it will be challenging enough for sure, but I'm not thinking of it as part of the London campaign. Too far out.

[gulp]

Er, I just went to check, and the P2P is only 21 weeks out from London. 21 weeks! Not very long at all. OK, so I suppose I should make it the symbolic start to marathon training. No hang on, it's a walk. I'll make it the symbolic END to non-marathon training. That feels better.
El Gordo

28-09-2013, 10:12 PM,
(28-09-2013, 07:01 PM)El Gordo Wrote: No hang on, it's a walk. I'll make it the symbolic END to non-marathon training. That feels better.

And when exactly does a walk become a run (or vice versa) ? Huh
01-10-2013, 11:26 AM,
2 weeks to the Henley half

Much of the week was spent in gay Paris, which buggered my running somewhat. I managed a couple of OABs from Pont de Neuilly to the Arc de Triomphe - the first a very slow early morning plod with a colleague, and the second an attempted tempo effort at rush hour which turned into more of a fartlek due to dodging les pietons.

Last night, another sound 6 laps of the field for 10 and a bit miles. Pace was held very steady around 9MM, but I managed to ramp up to 8:30 then 8:15 for the last two miles, and 7:45 for the last quarter mile. I'm hoping for 8MM in the race - looks like I might need a serious contribution from the race day pixies for that to happen. Looking forward to it though.

Not really done enough to justify a taper, so will do another 10 miler next weekend and then just looseners for the final week.

A decent September by my usual standards:
Runs: 10
Distance: 63 miles
Time on feet: 9h 17 min

A regular Autumn event, such as this year's HM, might be just the ticket to keep me active through the summer. Hopefully I'll remember that next year.
14-10-2013, 05:00 PM,
So? How'd the half go??
Run. Just run.
14-10-2013, 09:29 PM,
Kind of you to ask! Very well - 1:47. Just settling down to write the report. Although with online data like this I hardly need bother...
14-10-2013, 10:36 PM,
31st Henley Half Marathon
31st Henley Half Marathon

So, a return to an event that I last ran in 2007 (and didn't in 2006). I was slightly surprised when the Great Spreadsheet informed me that I hadn't run a half marathon at all since 2008 - preferring to concentrate on the full distance, and then on putting my feet up for the rest of the year.

Dawn brought rain, and it carried on steadily through the morning. After much sartorial to-ing and fro-ing I stuck with my original plan of singlet, despite the conditions, on the basis that I've almost never set off for a run and been too cold. It was a good decision; I warmed up as soon as we started and stayed warm all morning.

The race plan was simple: a 9 minute first mile, then up the pace to 8 minutes and see how long I could hang on. What wasn't in the plan was the loo queues. Two lines of 50m or or so, each for 5 cubicles. Two minutes before the hooter, with about 10 ahead of me, I bailed from the queue in search of a bush. Not so simple though. There was one secluded area nearby which had been exclusively taken up by ladies, many invoking the name of St Paula, and I didn't think they'd appreciate me turning it into a unisex facility. The far side of the field was too far, and in between were the front gardens of a plot full of retirement bungalows, many with senior citizens watching proceedings over their early morning cuppa. Nothing for it, I would indeed have to see how long I could hang on.

I joined the back of the pack and shuffled over the start line. This was my first event with my personal trainer, Malcolm, in tow, so I would have access to a lot more data than usual. The course started with a lap of the playing field, and I could see I was already well ahead of my target time. As we circled, I noticed that the Ladies Al Fresco Convenience was now free. I could just nip round there and probably I complete my first mile on schedule... and so I did. What a relief. You can see the detour on the Garmin route map.

So, off we went. It's a picturesque town and country course, mixed terrain, and generally a pleasant place to be, even in steady rain. The country lanes were a little congested early on, and I soon realised that large puddles were an opportunity to overtake, a margin where less hardy souls feared to tread. The early miles passed uneventfully - a couple of water stops, me steadily making up ground, one grumble point in mile 4 where we came to a standstill for 30 sec or so to pass through a single file gate. It was all tickety-boo, and I was wondering when the pace would start to slide. I was also aware that there was a bit of a hill around here somewhere.

Into mile 8, and there it was. I seemed to recall that it was a bit of a toughy, but frankly I was a lot less experienced back in 2007 and so this time it might not be such a killer. But one thing missing from my training recently - i.e. in recent years - has been hills. And so off we went. The rain abated. Oh no, sorry. The rain a-beated, on our heads, as we trudged up the hillside in and out of tree cover. I was pleased with my effort though - none of the old head-down-arse-up grim pummelling; this was controlled, steady and upright. OK it wasn't fast, but it was steady, and within myself. The steep part went on for a mile or more, and I was starting to tire by the top. I do feel for you guys and girls doing 13.1 of those next month.

After the steep climb, I wasn't really sure what the elevation was doing - turns out it was still a slight incline - and then all of a sudden, the ground fell away beneath us. And with no plan whatsoever, I let rip, arms out, channelling the great technical descenders of this parish and trying to keep my road shoes in full contact with the wet tarmac. I've never thrown myself down a hill like that before, I passed dozens and certainly no-one passed me. In the old heel-strike days it would have been impossible, as my joints would already be shot, but with most of my steps taken on the midfoot now, there was plenty of shock-absorption left in the quads and knees.

And that slingshot - taking a leaf out of Sweder's book - set me up for the last 3 miles. Again I couldn't really tell now if I was going up or down, but it turns out that the run-in was a generous if gentle descent. The end game was afoot; I was feeling good and could up the pace a little. I did a little mental maths - always a good way to distract the mind towards the end of a race - and realised that 1:45 was out of the question, but that 1:47 was now a possible target. My right Achilles was now making itself known, and I knew that, like my recent Parkrun max effort, it would be pretty well buggered for a week after the race. But for now I could keep it under control.

At 11.8 I decided it was time to go, and started reeling in runners one by one. As we passed the 12 mile post the guy in front jumped in the air and kicked his heels - asking for a muscle strain if you ask me. I eventually caught him and congratulated him on his stunt - apparently he'd done it at every mile.

Heading back towards town now and I continued to reel runners in - not a feeling I'm used to. As we approached the entrance to the field, a tall woman that I'd passed earlier appeared at my shoulder, and I matched her stride for stride. "Well done," she said, a little patronisingly I thought, and it seemed we might be on for a sprint finish. We rounded the field shoulder to shoulder, then with around 100m left she said "Come on, let's go," and I prepared to do battle. But suddenly, eyes still straight ahead, she yelled "Go! GO!" and was away. Now I'll admit that in certain situations I rather enjoy a woman speaking to me assertively, but I wasn't really in the frame of mind to appreciate it. "No chance," I chuckled out loud, but she was already in the distance, mud spraying from her heels. I still managed a decent sprint, passing several more, and finished with Malcolm reading... 1:47.

A later text confirmed my propensity for narrowly missing the cut (after my 4:00:02 marathon) - official time, 1:47:01. No matter. It may just be so long since I've done a half, but I really, really enjoyed this race. I felt in control all the way, and probably the strongest I've felt at the end of a race for some time - although the handy downhill for the last couple of miles undoubtedly helped.

24 hours on, and the Achilles is indeed buggered again - just stiffness, but I'm hobbling heavily and it will take a week to loosen up properly. This is all the result of the new midfoot gait - all of the stress previously visited on my other joints now seems to be focussed on these two little strips of sinew. I'm sure the new style is giving better results - over a minute faster, 6 years on - but the big question now is whether these tendons will survive training for and running a marathon. Rupturing one of those chaps could be the end of my running career. But maybe it's just the fact that they've been chronically underused for 25 years. We'll have to see how it goes. It's never quite as simple as just putting one foot in front of the other.
15-10-2013, 01:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-10-2013, 02:00 PM by Sweder.)
Very nice race, Dan. 'Control' is the key word, and so good to see you embrace the downhill plummet. Credit goes to Moyleman for that approach, so far as I'm concerned. Halfs/ halves are my favourite distance - too long for a sprint, short enough to have a go as and when you feel the need. A decent time in the bag, too. Sounds like you bumped into Ladyrunner at the end there ; )

15-10-2013, 06:15 PM,
Job well done Dan, and a great time especially in wet conditions. Do look after that achilles though ...!
Run. Just run.
21-10-2013, 08:44 PM,
ENTERED

Wasn't planning on that, but couldn't resist the cheap charity entries.

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Gonna have to sort out this running style though. After 8 days rest I'm ready for a run tomorrow. But I'll be going up to a 10 mile tempo run for marathon training. I can't afford to take a week's rest every week.

Plus I would like to fit another half in, as I enjoyed the last one so much. Smile

Looks like I will have to try and start heel striking again.

Will also finally watch / read El Gordo's Chi stuff to see if it says anything about Achilles management. Right now it seems to be my... Achilles heel.
23-10-2013, 12:49 AM,
If I can still stand after the Moyleman I'll come and cheer you on Big Grin
Bravo!

23-10-2013, 09:38 AM,
(23-10-2013, 12:49 AM)Sweder Wrote: If I can still stand after the Moyleman I'll come and cheer you on Big Grin
Bravo!

Excellent! I'll try and make sure I'm visible Smile
27-10-2013, 04:20 PM,
Excellent stuff, Dan. You had a plan and were able to stick to it -- sort of. I guess the 9:50-ish mile was the uphill, but to then do 4 final miles that each beat all your earlier miles is impressive. And the final mile was the fastest of all.

I hope the tall woman wasn't being too patronising. People often say things like that to be encouraging, though sometimes it's to encourage themselves.

OMG - Brighton again? More gorilla warfare? Or are we seeing the evolution of a more serious athlete -- Achilles permitting?
El Gordo

27-10-2013, 04:55 PM,
(27-10-2013, 04:20 PM)El Gordo Wrote: OMG - Brighton again? More gorilla warfare? Or are we seeing the evolution of a more serious athlete -- Achilles permitting?

Two words: Bernie Clifton.

That's the current inspiration, anyway.
27-10-2013, 09:16 PM,
(27-10-2013, 04:55 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(27-10-2013, 04:20 PM)El Gordo Wrote: OMG - Brighton again? More gorilla warfare? Or are we seeing the evolution of a more serious athlete -- Achilles permitting?

Two words: Bernie Clifton.

That's the current inspiration, anyway.

You're going to run dressed as a suspension bridge?
Oh ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2013: Tri-ing something new marathondan 105 94,851 26-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Last Post: marathondan