Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gravity
12-11-2013, 01:05 AM,
Gravity
Go and see it.
Find the biggest screen you can, and see it in 3D.
Immersive, intense, exhausting.
Brilliant.
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM,
RE:
OK, but is it any good....?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-11-2013, 03:39 AM,
RE:
I'm sorry, but Sandra Bullock always makes me think of Sarah Palin for some reason, and George Clooney I can't stand unless it's a comedy, which I gather this isn't.

If you want to see a movie that is genuinely engrossing and will make you think, and think some more, and maybe even become a little obsessive, go and see Upstream Colour, Shane Carruth's follow-up to the astonishing Primer!
Run. Just run.
13-11-2013, 04:25 AM,
RE:
It was unlike anything I've experienced in the cinema. Curiously I'm not chomping at the bit to see it again, as I found it quite stressful. Definitely edge-of-the-seat stuff, visceral. Not over-burdened with plot or dialogue, yet a must-see in my view.

MLCMMan, I could watch Bullock paint a wall for two hours so no complaints here.
I also saw her in The Heat recently alongside potty-mouthed Bridesmaids behemoth Melissa McCarthy. I enjoyed her performance, as I invariably do. Clooney does what Clooney does, provides eye-candy for ladies of a certain age, infuses the dialogue with sardonic wit and that bordering-on-arogant self-assurance. I won't say more, but Bullock is the star for me.
The cinematography, if that's what you can call this, is off the scale.
13-11-2013, 07:33 AM,
RE:
I like Clooney, and find him an an infuriatingly good actor/director. Along with his rumoured good looks, this seems just a little unreasonable.

Up in the Air, Michael Clayton, O Brother..., the magnificent Good Night & Good Luck (which I think he wrote + directed as well as starred in -- gah!!), Ides of March, the Oceans movies.... yeah, I like the man. Talented, intelligent, politically savvie.... what's not to like?

I must write about the Swiss movie experience sometime. It's frustrating that we get so few films I want to see (particularly British movies -- the Alan Partridge, World's End, various well-received Ken Loach movies and others didn't make an appearance here...). But going to the flicks is a laugh. The arbitrary intermissions, the multi-language subtitles, once-a-month local clubs, the open-air summer kino, the..... er, that's it actually. But I like it. It's a laugh. If only there were more films I actually wanted to see.

Gravity is a cert, given the stars, though Sweder has made me realise that I'm not sure we have an iMax-style cinema here. Must check that out.

We should add more to the Culture forum. Will do so.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-11-2013, 11:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 13-11-2013, 11:46 AM by Sweder.)
RE:
Didn't see it at IMAX, EG. Dukes at Komedia, humble offspring of the Duke of Yorks. Picture House group run them. Splendid bar/ coffee/ food on offer, cozy theatres, digital screens. Top notch.

Agree re: Clooney. The Soggy Bottom Boys will live long in the memory. Good Night was too good, a really wonderful film. I found The American, whilst terribly slow, delightful. Oddly Shayne, a big GC fan, hated it. Ah well. She loved Gravity, as did I.

Yes to more Kulchah, Geezah.
13-11-2013, 03:03 PM,
RE: Gravity
I think Gravity is the kind of film cinemas were invented for. By that I mean you wouldn't wait for this to come out on DVD or hit the telly.
13-11-2013, 11:17 PM,
RE: Gravity
(13-11-2013, 07:33 AM)El Gordo Wrote: We should add more to the Culture forum. Will do so.

It might be nice just to hear from time to time what others are reading, watching and listening to.

What's that you say? Why don't I get the ball rolling? Well, as you asked, I'd be only too happy...

Recently read:
  • Hugh Dennis - Britty Britty Bang Bang - a very lightweight look at Britishness, adopts the same scattergun approach to The Now Show with regard to jokes quality. OK.
  • Jeremy Hardy - My Family and Other Strangers - much more of a class act than Dennis, a cosy Radio 4-style read as expected from a 2nd Division National Treasure.
  • Jo Nesbo - Headhunters - superb thriller
  • Hemingway - To Have and Have Not - compelling, moving, will stay with me for some time
Watching (sorry it's not very cutting edge):
  • Err... A Very Peculiar Practice box set
  • The King's Speech - I guess it was as good as the hype... but why didn't he just give all his speeches listening to a gramophone record on headphones?
  • The Reader - a well-told tale with a few things to think about
Waiting to watch:
  • 30 Rock Season 6
  • Parks & Rec season 3 when it hits BBC4 next year
  • Isn't it about time I got into Breaking Bad?
  • Can I find time to watch all of the Rockford Files box set I've got my Dad for Xmas?