Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Runners
15-11-2013, 01:26 PM,
The Runners
A short film. Some background here.
16-11-2013, 04:09 AM,
RE:
Wow! I'll be thinking about that film when I run the P2P tomorrow. Amazing stuff... I liked the old guy, especially.
Run. Just run.
16-11-2013, 05:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 16-11-2013, 05:04 AM by Sweder.)
RE:
Loved this. Amazing what people were happy to talk about!
I'm sure Glaconman will enjoy/ appreciate the piece.
16-11-2013, 09:09 AM,
RE: The Runners
Good spot, MD, thanks. I tried the Guardian Running Blog for a while but found it a bit dull. This item is much better.

Beyond the act of running, races always strike me as great raw material for film. Glaconman's talented wife has done this sort of thing pretty well, as we've seen. When I used to do those small, local 10K races in rural Berkshire I was always struck by their filmability. That mixture of athletic endeavour and Women's Institute-style bustling organisation to ensure everyone had safety pins and the chance of a nice cup of tea at the finish line. It was weird; I would wander through those events, from arrival to departure (and the race in between), with a sort of imaginary camera strapped to my forehead, picking up on all those tiny incidents that a skilled editor could stitch together. My role was to provide the droll voiceover, of course.

It's always the small local races that seem to offer richer raw material, not the big city marathons. Same idea as the runners shown in this short film. It's the very ordinariness of the runners that makes them interesting.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-11-2013, 11:51 AM,
(16-11-2013, 09:09 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Good spot, MD, thanks. I tried the Guardian Running Blog for a while but found it a bit dull. This item is much better.

Yes, it's in my feed (naturally) - but I skip 95% of the posts.

I bet they wet themselves with excitement when the sex lady started talking.
16-11-2013, 01:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-11-2013, 01:45 PM by El Gordo.)
(16-11-2013, 11:51 AM)marathondan Wrote: I bet they wet themselves with excitement when the sex lady started talking.

"The sex lady"? Sorry to lower the tone, but it immediately reminded me of this:

But yes, I thought the film-makers must have been unable to believe their luck when she started gabbling on about chatting to her husband about how many times a week they have sex. And I suspect the husband's workmates will be no less jubilant. I can see the URL doing the Outlook rounds on Monday....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.