Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The C Word
20-11-2013, 01:06 PM,
The C Word
Now I don't profess to be an expert in these matters, but why is another Ashes series about to start when we only beat the Aussies for the Little Urn about 4 months ago?
20-11-2013, 08:48 PM,
RE:
Who cares? Whoop!
20-11-2013, 08:56 PM,
RE:
In a less flippant response ...

Vagaries of international test match scheduling. Hosts have to play in (or close to) their summer. Ideally you'd have at least a 2 year gap between England v Aus and Aus v England, but thanks to the Greedheads at the ICC (where it's India that holds sway) and their new 'world test cricket league' we are now going to see more of these back-to-back series. I don't see why this helps swell the coffers, but apparently it does.

Truth is, it's really only these matches plus India and SA that draw test crowds. Pakistan are politically hamstrung (playing in Dubai), West Indies have lost interest in the long form (they love 20/20). ICC feel the need to sex up test match cricket to boost ratings/ maximise TV revenues.

The good news for those who can't stand the Ashes is the next one, in England, won't be for a while.
22-11-2013, 07:18 PM,
RE: The C Word
Now that we can't stop thrashing the Aussies, who's complaining? Maybe we should have them 3 times a year until normal service is resumed, with the ritual humiliation of England. Then we can go back to twice a decade or whatever.

Actually, I write in the aftermath of the disastrous 2nd day of the First Test, so perhaps the traditional English decline has begun.

But if Broad could take 6 grinning wickets every time, I'd happily lose the series. A bit like football crowds booing the national anthem of their opponents, the attempted public humiliation of Stuart Broad seems likely to have the reverse effect.

TBH, I would like to see an Australian revival and a grippingly close series -- whoever wins.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.