Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 06:40 AM,
RE:
Progress continues smoothly. So far I haven't wavered from getting up at 5.30 5 or 6 days a week, to run or work out. I'm an early riser anyway, so it's not too hard, provided I get to bed by about 10.30. My body still hasn't cottoned on to the trick I'm playing on it. I banked just shy of 50 miles for August, which took me over the 100 mark since I put my runners back on in late May. Which is exactly the slow, restrained build up that I need. Plans are still afoot for a return to the Henley half in 4 weeks time, although there's now a question over a possible diary clash. But if not, there's also Marlow (hillier) a couple of weeks later. Having said that, my longest run so far is only 7 miles, so I'll have to see how the next two weeks' 9 and 10 go before making any commitment.

This is all still having no noticeable effect on the tendon. It's more of a struggle to keep up with the self-physio than it is with the running (the payoff for the running is measured in hours rather than months) but I think it's slowly getting better. Another session with Traci next week and we'll see what the forward plan might be.

Fingers crossed though, a spring marathon might be in the offing after all.
08-09-2014, 11:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014, 11:33 AM by Charliecat5.)
RE: 2014
(08-09-2014, 06:40 AM)marathondan Wrote: Fingers crossed though, a spring marathon might be in the offing after all.

This is all looking positive... don't forget about the Moyleman in the spring - would you like me to put your name down now? Big Grin
08-09-2014, 12:02 PM,
(08-09-2014, 11:33 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: This is all looking positive... don't forget about the Moyleman in the spring - would you like me to put your name down now? Big Grin

That is most generous of you, but there's marathons and there's marathons... Confused

I'll hopefully make it down for the course walk the day before though.
10-09-2014, 08:34 AM,
RE:
Happy days, Dan. Your softly-softly approach is paying off, providing a timely reminder that, come the time, my own rehab needs to be similarly gentle. A Moyleman walk would be just the ticket.
10-09-2014, 09:18 AM,
RE:
The key for me - inadvertently - has been to have treatment on the NHS. So I'm forced to progress at a slow pace. There's no "I'm paying for this, make me better NOW!"

But yes, after 5 months of no running, I limited myself to 3 miles at a time for 2 months, and only then have I started to rebuild at the normal rate of 10% per week max (with stepbacks).
17-09-2014, 11:23 AM,
RE:
I've done sod-all exercise for a week, as a result of a bout of existential angst over the prospect of sitting* staring at a computer screen for another 25 years x 40 hours a week. (I don't want to do the math.) This happens from time to time, and all good lifestyle habits go out of the window for a while. This includes not only running, but the 3 sessions a week of 6am workouts in the park - just when I was building up a tiny bit of strength. I'm not sure I want to go back to that though - I'm enjoying the extra 45 mins in bed. As always, I'm a slave to motivation, mood, biorhythms, mojo, brain chemistry, call it what you want, and the concept of willpower seems to be an illusion.

Anyhoo, the ole hypothalamus seems to have turned a bit of a corner, and I'm now at least thinking about going for a run again. Maybe tonight, even. Not sure if I'll go with the half mara plan now - I'll see in a couple of weeks whether I'm feeling sufficiently stoked to give it a go.

I saw Traci the physio yesterday after a 4 week gap. Needless to say, all stretching and self-massage was also dumped during my period of fear and loathing. But there were improvements in flexibility and scar tissue reduction, so she's discharged me with a plan of intensive self-work for a month or so and then a maintenance programme (basically just stretching). So I can now skip off into the blue yonder and ramp up my running as I normally would, with some extra tools in the bag should I start to experience problems. It's still tender if poked, and it's possible that won't go away, but we've seen measurable improvements, and if running doesn't aggravate it then I'm hopefully in the clear.

OK, so I do need to do that HM, as a stepping stone to a full 26.2. Best get back out there tonight...

Whisper it... huzzah!
----------
* Actually, at least I won't be sitting. In the words of R.Dwight, I'm still standing - the standing desk experiment has been going on for about 6 months now, and I recommend it to all.
17-09-2014, 11:49 AM,
RE:
PS - this blip has made me think, not for the first time, that it's probably OK to do absolutely nothing in a step-back week. Or as little as you want. No goals, other than to recover mental and physical energy.
17-09-2014, 04:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-09-2014, 04:32 PM by Charliecat5.)
(17-09-2014, 11:49 AM)marathondan Wrote: PS - this blip has made me think, not for the first time, that it's probably OK to do absolutely nothing in a step-back week. Or as little as you want. No goals, other than to recover mental and physical energy.

I think it is OK to do absolutely nothing in a step-back week... as long as your head is ready to get back out there the week after. I am currently having an enforced break due to soddin' hideous cold - which has lasted over a week now; and the thing I am missing most is running, particularly as post hols, I was very much in the right mindset to hit a 20 mile per week target.

Having spent the last week feeding my cold with chocolate and crisps, it is going to be quite interesting to see what happens when I get back on the trials.

To play some of your advice to me, right back at'cha... small steps my friend... small steps Smile
19-09-2014, 12:13 PM,
(17-09-2014, 04:31 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: To play some of your advice to me, right back at'cha... small steps my friend... small steps Smile

No, no - shortening my gait is what caused my achilles injury*. I try to take very big steps now.

Hope the cold is better soon. Give it an easy week of running then you'll be right back into it.

-----------
* oversimplification
19-09-2014, 10:15 PM,
RE:
Great progress overall. 50 miles in August is good. I managed about 30 and that included a couple of races. My achilles has been tender for several months but the type of running I do doesn't seem to make it any worse so touch wood ... don't think it would stand up to a serious road marathon though...
22-09-2014, 09:10 PM,
(19-09-2014, 10:15 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: My achilles has been tender for several months but the type of running I do doesn't seem to make it any worse so touch wood ... don't think it would stand up to a serious road marathon though...

You want to watch that. The simple lesson I've learned is that because tendons are avascular, they don't heal like muscles. So that is only likely to get worse. Or certainly not any better. I'd be interested to know... is it tender when you press it from the back, or when you squeeze it from the sides? And do either of the achilles look a bit bulbous?
23-09-2014, 12:42 PM,
(22-09-2014, 09:10 PM)marathondan Wrote: You want to watch that. The simple lesson I've learned is that because tendons are avascular, they don't heal like muscles. So that is only likely to get worse. Or certainly not any better. I'd be interested to know... is it tender when you press it from the back, or when you squeeze it from the sides? And do either of the achilles look a bit bulbous?

Definitely when I squeeze it. And it looks no more bulbous than the other one and hurts no more than several other bits of me. Don't worry, I know very well my body is in decline. It's fascinating in a way...Wink
24-09-2014, 09:01 PM,
My first real long run for nearly a year last night - 10 miles around the field, finishing around 11pm. Proper, old school marathondan training. There was a water bottle stowed in the hedge, there were raisins, there was Marathontalk on the mp3 player. I didn't get chased by any dogs, but I did see a badger in the dark, for the second time in a mere 4 years.

And it was good. As usual, the sanity of running round and round a field in the pitch dark (6 laps this time) could be questioned, but this is the only way really that I can fit long runs into my routine. The Marathontalk boys kept me company - sometimes intelligent, sometimes banal, but nice to have some keen runners along with me. Today I've had some proper old school quad ache for the first time in nearly a year - which is strangely nice.

No achilles problems. As you might have guessed, I've done sod-all of the exercises Traci prescribed to give the tendon a final bit of conditioning. It feels like it's good to go, so in my usual way I'm doing the minimum I need to get by.

I might be a bit undercooked for the Henley half in 3 weeks time, so I might go for Marlow (a harder course) a couple of weeks later. It seems that the last time I ran that - 8 years ago, for goodness sake - I was a bit undercooked too, and did alright. Not sure who that young, dark-bearded bloke is in the picture though.

Inevitably, thoughts are turning to a spring marathon. If I can get through a half without tendon problems, I'll consider it a green light to go for it around Christmas time. I'd quite like to take Gus back to Brighton - it will be 5 years since his first outing there. I might even treat him to some new, hairier, arms and legs.
25-09-2014, 12:10 PM,
RE:
Joyous news indeed, Dan. So pleased your patience has paid off.
As I've said before, you are an example to us all, and especially me.
27-09-2014, 01:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-09-2014, 01:10 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE:
Yep, looks like you'll well and truly back on deck. Well done Dan, you've handled your injury very well indeed. And a nice reward for you with the badger sighting too. Maybe you should have a Fursty Ferret to mark the occasion?

[Image: 651_crop266x271.png]
27-09-2014, 09:14 PM,
Thanks MLCMM. In fact what I should do make some beer. The last batch of porter went down well. Contrary to what most recipes say, it benefits from a couple of months before drinking. So I should get a little winter warmer underway now. A complex ale it isn't, but it goes some way to hitting the spot. Apart from the head, which tends to resemble a washing machine accident.

On to tonight's run. A busy week meant I was behind, so nipped out for a Saturday night tempo effort around the field. The planned distance was up to 5 miles, so to keep me motivated, I decided it was time to go back to that old indulgence - the tempo playlist. This is one of the few types of run where I really benefit from music (the other being the end of a long slow effort). So I quickly pulled some upbeat tracks onto the player and set off into the night.

Much as we like running, mental games to keep the mind off the discomfort are always useful. And a new one came to me tonight. With the player on shuffle, I would try and create a mental picture (a la Mrs Brown Went to Town, etc) to remember which songs came up. So as I have nothing better to do before Match of the Day, I will share it with you now.

As the family had been reclining in front of Strictly earlier in the evening, it was a Strictly-themed mental picture. A sandman was doing a waltz in a jungle set. Bruno gave his verdict: "Sweet action!" Len was less impressed: "Sling yer hook!"

The next number was highly produced, and involved aliens descending in a flying saucer. Waste paper blew around the floor as a plane was scrambled to intercept.

Then we had exactly the same waltz again. Flipping cheap rubbish mp3 player.

Finally the show is over, and we cut to backstage. Len, bow tie undone, relaxes in a pair of white snake-skin slippers and puffs on a cigar. "Ah, bloody luxury!" he sighs. Resplendent also in leopard-skin dressing gown, he leans back - rock, rock, goes the chair.

Anyway, the game did the trick, taking my mind off my excitable lungs and heart, keeping each of the miles below the 8 minute mark.

Any now here's the exciting part. You, the reader also with too much time on your hands, and with prior knowledge of my taste in music, should be able to recreate my playlist.

Don't worry if you don't want to play, I'll just carry on doing it for my own amusement.

Tracklist:

2. & 8. (same track)
27-09-2014, 09:24 PM,
RE:
I'm lost, more clues please-
Number one, Waltzing Matilda ?
27-09-2014, 09:49 PM,
RE:
Well the general theme (as ever) is 80s rock (there may be excursions into the 70s and 90s however). There may be obscure album tracks.

Here are the keywords put to the track numbers, to help you.

1. sandman
2. & 8. waltz
3. jungle
4. sweet, action
5. hook
6. aliens
7. paper, plane
9. white, snake, bloody, luxury
10. leopard, rock, rock
27-09-2014, 10:29 PM,
(27-09-2014, 09:49 PM)marathondan Wrote: Well the general theme (as ever) is 80s rock (there may be excursions into the 70s and 90s however). There may be obscure album tracks.

Here are the keywords put to the track numbers, to help you.

1. sandman - Metallica
2. & 8. waltz - The Last Waltz (The Band)
3. jungle - GNR, Welcome To The Jungle
4. sweet, action - Hmm, Sweet Emotion? Or The Sweet ...
5. hook - Dr Hook? Seems unlikely...
6. aliens - Joe Satriani (surfing with) or David Bowie (Loving)
7. paper, plane - Quo!
9. white, snake, bloody, luxury - Whitesnake, but don't know the track
10. leopard, rock, rock - Def Leopard

Added my guesses above.
Good game, this.
27-09-2014, 11:03 PM,
RE:
Sweder -
1, 3, 7 correct!
9, 10 - band correct, the track names are there in front of you (both obscure album tracks)

2/8 is a genuine no.2 chart hit rock song (sort of) from the 80s or 90s. (Or the 50s / 60s, in a way)

4 is a top 10 hit, which according to wikipedia has at least two interesting (to me) facts associated with it

5 is a top 40 80s hit from my favourite band

6 is an obscure album track. It has a very hard drum part on the Wii Rock Band.