Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cyclocross
31-01-2014, 02:12 PM,
cyclocross
Mrs G's take on cyclocross. And a nifty riff.

ILKLEY CYCLOCROSS
01-02-2014, 03:33 AM,
RE: cyclocross
"Try cyclocross" they said. "It'll be fun", they said.

[Image: aOqZYr2_700b.jpg]
Run. Just run.
02-02-2014, 09:54 PM,
Is that photo for real?!!!!!
Hey Glaconman, some mountain runners over here combine their running (spring and summer) with ski mountaineering in winter. Do many fell runners do cycle cross? (I know Rob Jebb is one).
02-02-2014, 10:39 PM,
RE:
I must say, "fell running on 2 wheels" is what sprang to mind when I saw the film. (Not that I know anything about fell running.) Very nice work, Mrs G!
03-02-2014, 11:08 AM,
Great picture MLCMM. Thanks Dan. She filmed and edited it in a single day which I thought was pretty impressive.

BB you're absolutely right. And, as we both know, Kilian is the supreme Pyranean duathlete (sking/mountain running) whilst Rob Jebb manages to be the stand-out British proponant (cyclocross/fell running). And where have they both shone in northern Spain? Zagama! One of your your own favorite races.

Generally also there are alot of folks who will do both. One good local race is this:

http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/events/...-cyclists/

where fell runners often chance their arm on the bike.

Personally I havn't been drawn into cyclocross. Largely because it doesn't have the satisfying rythms of running or road cycling. Partly because I'm crap off-road. And partly because I don't like cleaning bikes! But you never know, I may try it one day.
03-02-2014, 01:03 PM,
RE:
I noticed the minimalist safety gear (just a helmet) compared with the array of limb guards that the mountain bikers wear. But I guess the speeds are a lot lower.
03-02-2014, 03:19 PM,
RE:
Hmmmm ... sport is very tribal Dan. The difference between American football and rugby spring to mind. I will be diplomatic and agree with you Smile
08-02-2014, 07:25 PM,
RE:
Any races that you might risk mentioning for this year Glaconman?
10-02-2014, 11:09 AM,
Well BB, I'm down for the 3 Peaks again. Fell in love with it last year. I can't see me being in great shape but it's just the spectacle I can't resist. Must be the same for some of the races you do. Epic is the word that springs to mind. After that we'll see. The summer will hopefully open up with the usual classics in The Dales and South Pennines. Then there's Le Tour. Starting in Leeds. Coming through Keighley. Probably deserves it's own thread Smile
10-02-2014, 11:18 AM,
RE:
Brilliant! All sounds very promising .. did you know Ponferrada has the World Cycling Championship this September? Nobody can believe it...they've scrapped the original idea for the time trial though. It was 1 in 5 most of the way!!!
10-02-2014, 11:29 AM,
RE:
JDRF are hosting 'Le Tour Type 1', a chance to ride the first couple of stages (not on the day, I should add). It's a fundraiser, should end up being 100 or so cyclists. Should be fun.
17-02-2014, 05:04 PM,
Are you doing this Sweder?

I'm down for Etape de Yorkshire which is on 8th June and just the first stage.
19-02-2014, 03:57 PM,
The only cycle I come into contact with these days relates to washing machines and dishwashers. That sounds like Seaford Half time to me, my next running target. If I ever get back out there ...
19-02-2014, 04:06 PM,
Understood Smile

Sounded as though you were taking part in the JDRF event.
19-02-2014, 09:14 PM,
(19-02-2014, 04:06 PM)glaconman Wrote: Understood Smile

Sounded as though you were taking part in the JDRF event.

I'm on the (JDRF Challenge Events) Committee that set it up.