Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July 2009
11-07-2009, 08:10 PM,
July 2009
glaconman Wrote:No problem chaps, I'm not going to complain about Tour Talk. I've got Tour Fever like the rest of you. In fact, I even watched most of today's stage live despite my previous comments and thoroughly enjoyed it.

EG, I think it might be worth reiterating the amount of effort it takes to ride alone vs. in a group. Even if there's only 2 of you cycling, tucking in behind the other rider will save you 25%. This is particularly true on the flatter stages and when there's a head-wind. Somebody can have 15 minutes on the peleton, but if they decide to work together they'll just eat that lead-up (remember David Millar at 1km to go). And that's where domestiques come in: they work for the leader. If he has a puncture they'll drop back and pace him back to the group. If another contender is in a breakaway they'll work at the front of the peleton to reel them in. That's why mountain stages and time-trials tend to be decisive because you can make more time independently without the influence of the group affecting your performance.

I can't argue with what's been said. It's great to see Wiggins up there; and I think Amstrong in the team can only make Contador stronger in the long-run.

Yeah, that slipstream stuff is crucial to understanding why they do what they do. It's all very clever and impressive. Today's stage was just amazing, with the final hundred metres or so turning the (or my) expected) result on its head. And yes, Millar yesterday (or perhaps it happened the day before, but I watched it yesterday) was another classic case. Ignorant me would have bet my house on him winning the race but the commentators' caution was very well-founded.

Again, the whole thing is just great to watch. And I wasn't joking about seeing the changing territory. I love the travelogue aspect with the Monaco coast and Provencal hillside villages turning into mountain roads and the streets of Barcelona and.... god knows what next. And those spectators with little cameras leaning out on a bend in the mountain road as the bikes whip past... Eek

More. I need more.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-07-2009, 11:34 PM,
July 2009
El Gordo Wrote:More. I need more.

Welcome to the dark side, EG.

[Image: tdf12.jpg]
Run. Just run.
14-07-2009, 07:53 AM,
July 2009
Sunday 12th July - Greenhead to Tower Farm up and down 5k

Now a benchmark 5k. I put my foot down as hard as I could and managed to shave more time off. Plus I appear to have lost 10 kilos over the last 6 weeks. Looks like I'm finally getting some control of my intake.
14-07-2009, 02:36 PM,
July 2009
Good work G-man. Impressive weight loss, a fair return for concerted effort. Intake is critical; so easy to justify heavy consumption on resumption of regular training (one of my own demons).

Looks like I picked the wrong day to break my live Tour duck; riders on a go-slow to protest against ban on team radios. 'Nail-bitingly dull' the call from the principal Eurosport chitterer just now. Selah.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-07-2009, 03:33 PM,
July 2009
I stand corrected - hugely exciting end to Bastille Day leg of la Tour. Cavendish flashed through the (United Colours of) Peloton to reign on the most French of parades. The inexorable reeling in of the breakaway riders made compelling viewing. There's something delightfully voyeuristic about it, like watching a swarm of predatory bugs chase down and consume its unfortunate prey on the fly, mere seconds from safety.

OK, I get it now.

15-07-2009, 07:45 AM,
July 2009
Cheers Sweder. I had plenty of weight to shed but it's still a challenge. Like alot of people I find it difficult to tolerate being hungry. It's just a question of changing my thinking.

I'm a few days behind with my Tour viewing. I watched the climb upto Andorra last night! Like BB said, Wiggins is the big revelation; how he's transformed himself into an all-round tour rider.
17-07-2009, 01:28 PM,
July 2009
Thursday 17th July 3rd Jubilee 5k run - up and down

Final run in this series of 3 handicapped races. It was a humid evening and I didn't think I would run well; but I managed to knock over a minute off my previous time, finishing in 19:44.

This type of series is great for people like me getting into, or back into, running because it favours people on an upward curve and gives everybody something to work towards.

It's also opened up another aspect of running for me, the shorter races where you lengthen your stride and gasp for air.

Down to the (excellent Brown Cow) pub afterwards for 2 pints of very well-kept Landlord and some good chilli whilst the prizes were presented.
21-07-2009, 01:15 PM,
July 2009
Saturday 18th July Oxenhope Fell Race - approx 3.5 miles hilly

A challenging little race through some interesting parts of this picturesque Pennine village. This race also taught me a couple of things.

Always warm-up with a short run so you can hit-the-ground-running. Particularly when the first mile is uphill.

Always do a proper recce so you know what to expect. I'd decided that this course was going to be up-along-then-down. And the biggest hill was first. But it was followed by numerous short climbs before the final descent. Maybe it is better to run hard and then hold on. But some form of pacing is better than none.

Mrs G also got around this one after a month of no-running and major knee pain. A big effort from her.

No pics I'm afraid BB. I'm just not very well organised. One day.
21-07-2009, 01:40 PM,
July 2009
Well done on the race, and great to hear that M is strutting her stuff on the fells.
El Gordo

23-07-2009, 12:21 PM,
July 2009
Wednesday 22nd July - approx 6 miles - mainly flat.

Nothing much to report about this steady run except that it was conducted at the unheard-of hour of 6:30am. Apparently early morning running leaves you highly envigorated for the rest of the day. So I thought I'd try it. I did feel very perked-up until lunchtime. After which I could be found wandering through the grounds at work looking for some long, dry grass to curl-up in.
24-07-2009, 01:56 PM,
July 2009
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/LillyHall...=143414884

I'm 240
24-07-2009, 02:37 PM,
July 2009
glaconman Wrote:http://www.photoboxgallery.com/LillyHall...=143414884

I'm 240

I'll help them...

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/LillyHall...or_id=3003

I'm impressed (and envious) that you get photos that actually make you look as if you are running.

But are those work socks you are wearing...? Eek
El Gordo

24-07-2009, 02:52 PM,
July 2009
Is tha teckin' a rise young man? Tha'll not find white socks on t'fells.

I tend to just throw on whatever is clean. Apologies if it offends your delicate Berkshire sensibilities old boy. Smile
27-07-2009, 07:00 AM,
July 2009
glaconman Wrote:I tend to just throw on whatever is clean. Apologies if it offends your delicate Berkshire sensibilities old boy. Smile
Next you'll be telling us you don't iron them...

Thanks for doing the hard work there, EG.
27-07-2009, 08:35 AM,
July 2009
Socks ... I remember them ... Wink

Thoughtful photographer, setting up on a downslope.
Antbliss (local race snappers) take great pleasure in hiding at the top of long climbs so as to capture the perfect blend of exhaustion, inertia and gut-wrenching agony :o

27-07-2009, 08:50 AM,
July 2009
Sweder Wrote:Socks ... I remember them ... Wink

Thoughtful photographer, setting up on a downslope.
Antbliss (local race snappers) take great pleasure in hiding at the top of long climbs so as to capture the perfect blend of exhaustion, inertia and gut-wrenching agony :o

I've twice had run-ins with Antbliss. Once a few years ago on this forum, when he got shirty about you posting some thumbnails of the Brighton 10K. And then again a few months ago, when I was desperately keen to give him £40 to pay for some good pics from the Finchley 20. He insisted that I had to agree that I wasn't buying the pictures, but only a temporary licence, one of the terms of which was that I had to seek his permission if I wanted to reproduce a picture on a blog (heaven forbid). This agreement had to last into perpetuity. What a load of nonsense. I couldn't reason with him. These were snaps of fat middle-aged people plodding round the streets of Ruislip, not pap snaps of Usain Bolt. Anyway, I had to cancel the order which did neither of us any good.

GM's pics are excellent. Rare to get such a good sense of action.

Great end to the Tour de France, BTW. I missed a few days last week, including what sounded like a harrowing climb up Ventoux. But have really enjoyed what I did see. Another reason not to get bored during the football close season.
El Gordo

27-07-2009, 02:14 PM,
July 2009
Saturday 25th July - Oakworth - Howarth - Keighley approx 9 miles. 3 hills.

A good outing with a handful of testing climbs. I certainly felt lighter and more nimble going up. A sign that things are moving in the right direction.

Under attack by the RC fashion-police (and an unlikely source at that); I made my way to the shops to procure new kit in an attempt to try and smarten myself up. Thinking about some gold for the shorter distances. Have to draw the line at white socks though.
27-07-2009, 02:19 PM,
July 2009
glaconman Wrote:Under attack by the RC fashion-police (and an unlikely source at that);

Eek Why, you cheeky young.....

Smile
El Gordo

27-07-2009, 02:22 PM,
July 2009
El Gordo Wrote:I've twice had run-ins with Antbliss. Once a few years ago on this forum, when he got shirty about you posting some thumbnails of the Brighton 10K. And then again a few months ago, when I was desperately keen to give him £40 to pay for some good pics from the Finchley 20. He insisted that I had to agree that I wasn't buying the pictures, but only a temporary licence, one of the terms of which was that I had to seek his permission if I wanted to reproduce a picture on a blog (heaven forbid). This agreement had to last into perpetuity. What a load of nonsense...

Ridiculous! Does he think we're Runners World or something? I'd be happy to tell him where to shove his £40 - he must be dreaming.

El Gordo Wrote:Great end to the Tour de France, BTW. I missed a few days last week, including what sounded like a harrowing climb up Ventoux.

It was fantastic stuff. Contador was astonishing... his agressive style and personality reminded me of Marco Pantani (though hopefully drug free) and Claudio Chiapucci (ditto the drugs). Great cycling! Though naturally, I was somewhat disappointed at Cadel Evans' relatively poor performance this year - that on the back of the Ashes and losing the rugby to New Zealand, it hasn't been a happy time for us Aussies of late.

Anyway, I'm off to find a beer to cry in to.
Run. Just run.
27-07-2009, 03:10 PM,
July 2009
I enjoyed Contador's win too... he's much more explosive and exciting to watch than Indurain. He also showed surprising mental toughness in not letting Armstrong and his heavies psyche him out.

Ventoux was a spectacular and desolute scenario for the final stage (not counting Paris) but Contador's yellow was never really in danger which meant that as a race it didn't quite live up to the high expectations generated during the first week.

Incidentally, Contador now becomes one of only 5 cyclists to have won Tour, Giro and Vuelta and he's still only 26.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July glaconman 5 1,360 30-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  July 2015 glaconman 2 2,689 28-07-2015, 08:39 PM
  JULY 2014 glaconman 11 6,038 17-08-2014, 07:07 PM
  August 2009 glaconman 14 7,019 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  June 2009 glaconman 18 8,621 02-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man