Running and the mind
06-05-2014, 03:57 PM,
Thumbs Up  Running and the mind
Hi all

I have been running a football therapy project in Lewes for a while now.

But in recent weeks i have been asked to help a number of the participants start running, some have even set a goal of running Moylemen if there allowed to,i personally think its a big ask to run 26miles over the sussex downs but they seem intent and after weeks of talking, next week we are going for our first run, 3 miles along from Newhaven to Seaford.

I am a big believe in Physical activity and mental well-being and quite frankly sussex is very poor in this area and im trying to change that very slowly but hey i can see a little wave.

Can anyone offer any advice on group running the first time have done it always trained on my own and found that hard so hoping this could have a positive effect.

All the best

SeanSmile
11-05-2014, 07:28 AM,
RE:
Hi Sean. Your post got relegated by another made just after yours, so I missed this first time round. This is a great initiative and one that will help with physical and mental fitness.

If I can offer one piece of advice it's to encourage the feeling of the collective - meaning, to run at the pace of the slowest runner. This is harder to do as you crank up the mileage. You may have to split the group at a certain stage. But always make the whole group run together for the first two or three miles. Apart from making sure no-one goes off too fast - a real problem with distance running - this encourages feelings of belonging and togetherness.

I'd love to come out with you one of these days. Keep us posted on how things are going.
Lots of wise old heads in here.
13-05-2014, 10:08 AM,
RE: Running and the mind
Sean;

Great project.

At my running club we have a beginners section and their motto is 'Nobody gets left behind'. So that should be your priority.

You can do that by splitting the route up into 4 or 5 sections. Stop at the end of each section and let everybody catch up. But don't set off again straight away. As the group progresses they may treat each section as a tempo run, getting faster towards the end and using the stop as a recovery.

If there are big differences in fitness it will be necessary to split the group up. But give each group a leader who is responsible for pace, route finding and morale.

But you can still do things together (as Sweder pointed out) like running the first/last mile together and doing static stretches together at the end. Give the fast group a longer route so you all finish together.

If people are on Facebook start a Group. People will share their enthusiasm, offer lifts and generally come together in-between runs as well.

As time goes by keep things fresh by varying the routes in terms of distance and terrain. Consider entering races together. Get some vests printed with the group name on. Have a social meal once in a while.

Let us know how you get along. If you want to discuss this with somebody who is involved with this already then message me and I'll put you in touch.
04-06-2014, 08:03 PM,
RE:
Hi guys thanks for the feed back, i have just been dealing with Red tape and bits but the posters went out today, the plan is to Start at Denton Nature reserve along to Seaford along the seafront.

Should be a nice run, il be at the back making sure that the group is going ok with another member of staff at the front of the group.

People interested so far are likely to be running around the same pace currently.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,707 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Running documentary (young fit and dying) Seanmacrook 5 6,680 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM
  Running Shoes in the Washing Machine Seafront Plodder 15 9,847 13-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Scott Jurek follows the Running Commentary Way marathondan 6 14,470 14-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Pythonesque running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 11,563 27-10-2011, 09:35 PM
  Sad story about fell running old-timer El Gordo 1 9,676 09-10-2011, 07:57 PM
  Magnificent article on barefoot running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 7 13,729 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
  Help ! Running clubs in the Vera, Huercal, Garrucha Mojacar area PhilD 1 13,284 28-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  On the dangers of running The Beast of Bevendean 2 12,309 25-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Aldi running gear - Thurs 15 October El Gordo 6 9,183 06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Last Post: El Gordo