Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June 2014 Update
04-06-2014, 09:59 PM,
June 2014 Update
It's been quiet in here of late but there is work going on behind the scenes.

Race day is Sunday 15th March 2015
There will be places available for 2-person teams running half each
We have a meeting set up with Lewes District Council to review plans for 2015
Rob has got a general agreement in place with Lewes AC subject to final plans
There are some interesting ideas on the table for 'medals'
Duncan has filmed the course and a time-lapse move is in production
Entries to open in October 2014
Local running clubs to get opportunity to enter before general release
Start moved to avoid bottle-necking early on (same place as the Lewes Downland 10)
We have a sponsor for the marshall's (purple!) tabards
The race needs a logo - we're talking to a local artist about that
We will have a bag-drop for 2015. Tags to be issued with race numbers
Parking will be at/ near the finish, with school-style 'walking buses' up to the start
Our half-way point will be at Southease village green
- we're seeking permission to set up a marquee tent for change-overs, treatment
- it's close to a train station for those running in pairs to get to/ from Lewes
- there will be a medical treatment area and substantial refreshment here
We have an embarrassment of riches in the photography department
Official timing will be gun-time only
We expect circa 200 runners
There will be a suggested time limit of 5 hours 30
Runners for whom this is a first 26.2 will be expected to have completed a hilly half in under 2 hours 30
There will be a free pre-race course-walk to mark the course on Saturday 14th March (not marshalled)

NEXT UP;
Agreeing details with the council
Forming a committee and assigning tasks
Detailing actions to minimise environmental impact
Setting a budget & establishing an entry fee
Setting up a bespoke website/ Moyleman URL/ on-line entry system
Booking marshal comms system
Booking medical support
Identifying sponsorship opportunities (finishers' reward, number sponsor, goodie bag contributors)
Completion and distribution of the course film to (and talking to) potential sponsors
Official charity partners
Selecting type/ design and supplier of runner numbers
Locating food/ beverage suppliers for the finish area

More soon
27-06-2014, 01:25 PM,
RE:
Purple was the colour of the toga worn by Roman emperors. Nero made it a capital offence for anyone else to wear one, while Caligula had a vassal king murdered for wearing a purple cloak that he thought was better than his.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

27-06-2014, 02:06 PM,
RE:
What the hell is a tabard anyway? And why are they purple? Where's my scotch?
27-06-2014, 02:18 PM,
RE:
I think knights wear them when they go jousting.

Perhaps Tom's should have gold edging, to avoid any murders on the day.
27-06-2014, 02:21 PM,
RE:
Murders? There'll be murders? Why didn't you say?!!
27-06-2014, 11:03 PM,
RE:
Those yellow hi-vis vests (for that is what is meant by 'tabard' in this case) invoke roadworks and, for me, working on show-site. Purple is distinctive without being garish and will help runners to identify race marshals.

Purple was also Chris's favourite colour. The ribbons on the shrubs where his ashes are scattered (near the top of the Snake) are purple, as were his favourite running shorts. The arrows used for this year's test event were purple too.

And it just happens to be the colour of the RC logo. Kinda nice, we thought.
28-06-2014, 12:59 AM,
RE:
You've thought of everything haven't you? Not that we would have expected any less of course. Nice work, Mr. Sweder.

But I'd never heard of 'tabards' before. You learn things here, you do.
28-06-2014, 09:57 AM,
RE:
Tabards, decorated with the coat of arms of their employer, were worn by heralds. We could have the same: a runner proper, rampant, between two greyhounds couchant on a field of fleur-de-lys, supporters: two water bottles. Motto: 'No more hills after this one'.
I am kicking myself for forgetting the significance of purple. After all, I ran the Bewl 15 adorned with a purple ribbon a few years ago.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

28-06-2014, 10:00 AM,
RE:
Oh. I thought our motto was 'Never again'.
28-06-2014, 04:19 PM,
RE: June 2014 Update
(28-06-2014, 10:00 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Oh. I thought our motto was 'Never again'.

Or in my case, "Never".
28-06-2014, 04:27 PM,
(28-06-2014, 04:19 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(28-06-2014, 10:00 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Oh. I thought our motto was 'Never again'.

Or in my case, "Never".

...says the heroic Big Cheese with seven marathon medals to his name!
28-06-2014, 07:56 PM,
RE:
Nothing very heroic about languidly plodding round a big city marathon.

Maybe London 2015 will be the one I finally get to feel proud of, with the possible exception of Zurich 2006. I think it will have to be my last chance before I turn my attention to MeanderingSeniors.net.
28-06-2014, 11:03 PM,
(28-06-2014, 07:56 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I think it will have to be my last chance before I turn my attention to MeanderingSeniors.net.

Is that on the Dark Web?

Every marathon is heroic in its way. The training, the commitment, the keeping on when every fibre begs to stop. Read my signature, baby.
28-06-2014, 11:35 PM,
(28-06-2014, 11:03 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(28-06-2014, 07:56 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I think it will have to be my last chance before I turn my attention to MeanderingSeniors.net.

Is that on the Dark Web?

Every marathon is heroic in its way. The training, the commitment, the keeping on when every fibre begs to stop. Read my signature, baby.

Ah, yes, we still have that signature problem. I suppose I should try to fix it....
29-06-2014, 07:18 AM,
RE:
Yes, every marathon requires a (an? ... Tom? Ruling please!) heroic effort.

Don't discount any of them, EG, no matter how you feel about them. You have those medals. Countless others don't, because most people can't be bothered to even begin to make the effort. That you have done so, completed the task and written about each of them so beautifully is a staggering effort, worthy I would think of some sort of gong from Lizzie.

The thought of one more London mara effort from you as well is utterly brilliant.

No pressure of course!
29-10-2014, 07:21 PM,
Help offer
Hi,

Read about this somewhere.
Would love to take part and would love to help.
I live on the Nevill a few hundred metres from the proposed start line.
Please let me know if I can be of use before the day and how I might enter to race on the day.

Cheers,

Hiwheeler
30-10-2014, 01:42 PM,
RE:
Welcome, Hiwheeler, to the Moyleman and to Running Commmentary.
Plans for the Moyleman have been slightly delayed - here we are in October and we've not opened race entries yet. HOWEVER, plans are a-foot.

There is a Moyleman Facebook page, if you do that sort of thing.
Local runners subscribe (it's free, of course) to receive updates. The intention is, whilst we hastily construct a web page for the race, to take 'pre-bookings' via FB to allow lomg-time followers and local runners the chance to reseve a place.

When entries open officially, these pre-entrants will be asked to reconfirm, at that time paying the entry fee and receiving a number.

That's the plan. In so far as helping goes,mwe will need marshal on the day, but it sounds like you might fancy running. We'll be marking the course the day before, organised through a series of rambles. You'd be welcome to take a signage crew on part of the course, say from the start up to Blackcap, down the SDW to the A27.

Thanks for tuning in.
30-10-2014, 05:25 PM,
Hi Sweder,

Happy to do the signage and to help generally.
I don't really do FB but will try to send a friend request!

Thanks,

Pete