Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup Brazil 2014 / Weltmeisterschaft Brasilien
24-06-2014, 08:46 AM,
RE:
.......meanwhile, Wimbledon has started. Yay!
24-06-2014, 11:53 AM,
RE: World Cup Brazil 2014 / Weltmeisterschaft Brasilien
(24-06-2014, 07:49 AM)marathondan Wrote: ... I do have a certain reputation to keep up regarding large quantities of tabulated information. And yes, I did download the spreadsheet from the Guardian article. And perform filters on it.
Sad
May I recommend the services of Dr. Glen and Dr. Fiddich?
24-06-2014, 11:54 AM,
(24-06-2014, 08:46 AM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: .......meanwhile, Wimbledon has started. Yay!

Yep, at least we're still in with a chance there, slim as it is.

Your boy might do alright though.
25-06-2014, 04:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-06-2014, 04:10 PM by Sweder.)
Bite Me
Enough geeky pedantry, this is a thread for jingoistic Jocks only.
And what better event to return us to the self-righteous soap-box than a Luis Suarez biting? His third in relatively quick succession, a disturbing misdemeanour that will surely herald his demise on the world stage.
Or will it?

Despite his cannibalistic and racially abusive behaviour Suarez was lauded by players and pundits alike last season, sweeping the boards at the PFWA and the PFA awards. On phone-ins last night and this morning Liverpool fans leapt to the assailant's defence, claiming he is no worse than Eric 'Kung Fu' Cantona. Not sure about that. King Eric served an eight month ban for his - retaliatory - moment of madness, that FA sanction on top of the one his club imposed, and, unlike Suarez, did not re-offend. No ill-conceived t-shirt campaign in support of his actions, either. Suarez was set for a big move to Spain this summer. This latest episode will see his value plummet, if indeed the move can now go ahead at all. Liverpool may well have lost a prized asset through no fault of their own and should fine him accordingly. FIFA have announced an investigation. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see this concluding swiftly or decisively.

Suarez bit an opponent, just like Tyson on Holyfield. Suarez has now done that THREE TIMES.
Throw his sorry arse out of the game. And get him some therapy, FFS.
25-06-2014, 09:47 PM,
RE:
It really makes you wonder what goes on in his head. The blurred line between genius and mental illness.
26-06-2014, 12:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014, 12:45 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Bite? That wasn't a bite!

Now this is a bite... these boys nose hows to fights.
26-06-2014, 06:42 AM,
(26-06-2014, 12:44 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Bite? That wasn't a bite!

Now this is a bite... these boys nose hows to fights.

Yes that's more towards the Lecter end of the spectrum.

Are Australian bikers really called "bikies"? It sounds like some kind of biker pixie. Then again, I suppose it's even more macho to be able to get away with an un-macho name.

And an unfortunate comment from the friend: "Yeah, look as far as I know Pete's on the straight and narrow now," he said. Anything but, I expect.
26-06-2014, 06:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014, 07:06 AM by Sweder.)
(25-06-2014, 09:47 PM)marathondan Wrote: It really makes you wonder what goes on in his head. The blurred line between genius and mental illness.

A salient point, Dan. It seems biting amongst humans is more common that we might think and may be a genuinely emotional response, like a physical Tourette's. I believe biting is common amongst children with ADHD, for example. The expression on Suarez's face immediately after contact - and before the amateur dramatics - seemed to say 'oh no, not again'.

If that's the case here then it would be as well for the player to get professional help, returning to the game once given the green light by his physicians. That said, Fawcett's final statement offers little hope for redemption. Imagine if this condition manifested itself by the afflicted player kicking the opponent square in the nadgers. Highly entertaining, perhaps, but no less dangerous. No league outside of Cage Fighting or WWF would sanction the player.

It seems my fears of a slow response were unfounded. FIFA verdict 'is expected later today'. If the statement contains the word 'inconclusive' this will run and run ...
26-06-2014, 09:23 AM,
RE:
If you view it as an affliction rather than a display of unsporting conduct, then the simple solution is to force him to wear a gumshield. This is a slippery slope however - would we see a rash of padded head and elbow coverings being enforced? Then again, the prospect of having to wear a foam helmet for a season might be quite a good deterrent to would-be headbutters.
26-06-2014, 10:19 AM,
http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/06/its-the-luis-suarez-bite-online-reaction-pie-chart/
26-06-2014, 04:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014, 05:16 PM by Sweder.)
(26-06-2014, 10:19 AM)marathondan Wrote: http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/06/its-the-luis-suarez-bite-online-reaction-pie-chart/

Utter genius to compose a 'pie' chart for a biting incident.
At least now we know who ate them all.

A four months worldwide ban seems light to me for a third offence. Liverpool may yet cash in, with Real Madrid and Barcelona not yet ruling out a move. I saw Chris Waddle called for a gum-shield, too. Surely that was tongue in cheek?
27-06-2014, 08:41 AM,
I think the England / Premier League situation is nicely summarised by a non-sports writer here.
27-06-2014, 09:24 AM,
(27-06-2014, 08:41 AM)marathondan Wrote: I think the England / Premier League situation is nicely summarised by a non-sports writer here.

Or it could be climate. When did a seriously cold country last win the World Cup? Arguably 1966. Norway? Never. Russia? Never. Etc. But look at warm countries like Brazil, Italy, Spain ... and there's a whole different story.

Which is why global warming can only be good for England's chances in the future. Embrace it. Change is good. Warmth is good. Mmm. Not only will you win the World Cup, you'll also make better wine. And you won't have to shut down over winter.

Bring it on, I say.
27-06-2014, 09:33 AM,
(27-06-2014, 09:24 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Or it could be climate. When did a seriously cold country last win the World Cup? Arguably 1966. Norway? Never. Russia? Never. Etc. But look at warm countries like Brazil, Italy, Spain ... and there's a whole different story.

France? Germany? Not exactly tropical ...
27-06-2014, 09:40 AM,
(27-06-2014, 09:33 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(27-06-2014, 09:24 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Or it could be climate. When did a seriously cold country last win the World Cup? Arguably 1966. Norway? Never. Russia? Never. Etc. But look at warm countries like Brazil, Italy, Spain ... and there's a whole different story.

France? Germany? Not exactly tropical ...

Shoosh, you. I like my theory. It is a good theory.
27-06-2014, 01:44 PM,
RE:
Talking to the orthopaedic surgeons at work, they tell me that human bite injuries make up a significant part of their case load. The human bite is dirtier than most animal bites and polymicrobial – with potentially at least 42 species of bacteria present. There's a high incidence of complications such as septic arthritis, stiffness and even amputation.
That said, they say they don't see shoulder bites, which must surely now become known as the Suarez bite, that often. The most common one is the so-called 'fight bite' in which the hand of one combatant is injured by the teeth of his (60-80% of these occur in men) opponent.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

27-06-2014, 02:03 PM,
RE:
60 - 80%? Do they mean they aren't sure about the gender of 20% of victims??
27-06-2014, 02:17 PM,
RE:
You have to be broad-minded to work in an emergency department :-)
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

27-06-2014, 03:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-06-2014, 09:12 PM by El Gordo.)
(25-06-2014, 04:05 PM)Sweder Wrote: Enough geeky pedantry, this is a thread for jingoistic Jocks only.
And what better event to return us to the self-righteous soap-box than a Luis Suarez biting? His third in relatively quick succession, a disturbing misdemeanour that will surely herald his demise on the world stage.
Or will it?

Despite his cannibalistic and racially abusive behaviour Suarez was lauded by players and pundits alike last season, sweeping the boards at the PFWA and the PFA awards. On phone-ins last night and this morning Liverpool fans leapt to the assailant's defence, claiming he is no worse than Eric 'Kung Fu' Cantona. Not sure about that. King Eric served an eight month ban for his - retaliatory - moment of madness, that FA sanction on top of the one his club imposed, and, unlike Suarez, did not re-offend. No ill-conceived t-shirt campaign in support of his actions, either. Suarez was set for a big move to Spain this summer. This latest episode will see his value plummet, if indeed the move can now go ahead at all. Liverpool may well have lost a prized asset through no fault of their own and should fine him accordingly. FIFA have announced an investigation. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see this concluding swiftly or decisively.

Suarez bit an opponent, just like Tyson on Holyfield. Suarez has now done that THREE TIMES.
Throw his sorry arse out of the game. And get him some therapy, FFS.

No comparison. Tyson bit Holyfield's f***ing ear off his f***ing head.

Stand aside, stand aside, it's time for me to get on the old high horse, if you're done with it (unlikely, I admit).

I thought the punishment way out of proportion to the offence.

By all means give him an international ban to remove any possibility of him reappearing in Brazil, but the additional 4 month ban which will remove him from another team entirely for the first 10 weeks or so of next season is simply unjust and disproportionate.

We can totally agree that he's an unsavoury character but there are a fair few of those about in the game. And we can agree that some punishment was in order, But what we won't agree on is its severity. I simply don't accept that the punishment fits the crime. People's indignation seems to be magnified by the singularity of the offence, while happy to turn a relatively blind eye to all sorts of other outrages like career-threatening challenges, some of which don't even get a card, and the endemic cheating that has drained the sport of all decency, to the point where it's considered OK to cheat in order to get a player sent off or to win a penalty that might determine the fate of an entire competition.

I heard an interview with an ex-footballer on the radio this morning (I didn't catch who it was as I missed the introduction) but he opined that he'd much rather have had the Suarez lovebite than the seriously broken leg that some other player had cynically provided him with, and for which no punishment at all was imposed.

On a quasi-legal note, I'm also puzzled by the double standards of the authorities here. There are other areas of the game where they say they can take no action because the referee didn't spot it, or didn't punish it at the time, or because the referee "didn't mention it in his post-match report", which always sounds especially pathetic to me. And yet if there's enough clamour, they seem prepared to respond with something suitably draconian to satisfy the blood lust of the sanctimonious hordes.

OK then. So this time they have punished the tooth-wielding Uruguayan in retrospect, on rather dodgy photographic evidence (did anyone else notice that the images published in the first 24 hours seemed to show almost nothing beyond a faint rouge effect, but by the time another day had gone by, the Italian fellow's shoulder looked like he'd been dragged from a lion's cage after the beast had been gnawing on his neck for a good 5 minutes). So now that they've set a precedent, let's have them continue with this very belated stand against the ills of the game. Let's have shocking tacklers sin-binned for 9 or 10 games. Let's have serial cheaters and divers handed out 4 month bans.

I wouldn't hold your collective breath on that one, chaps.

As for the transfer value of Suarez, and his career, I'm certain neither will be dented. When you're one of the best players in the world, it's astonishing how a frothing detractor today will become a doe-eyed devotee tomorrow, when he rocks up at his own football club.

-----

Right. Baton transferred. I'm off for a lie-down.
27-06-2014, 03:57 PM,
RE:
Mark Steel in the Independent puts it well. 'Perspective with sport is an art' http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comm...65676.html
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Cup 2010 Sweder 25 14,419 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Cricket World Cup El Gordo 44 25,007 25-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Big Cup, Small Crowd Sweder 14 6,231 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Ryder Cup 2006 Nigel 2 1,878 22-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  World Cup Nonsense Sweder 191 114,951 20-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Apparently there's a World Cup or something coming up marathondan 7 3,591 26-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  P C World. - What a crock of shite Seafront Plodder 10 7,673 22-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder