Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January 2015
23-01-2015, 02:18 PM,
RE: January 2015
Week 4 of 18

Finished off the week with a longish one at 0630 on Sunday. I was hoping for some frost but found the usual sludge fest. Regular readers will recall that I used to spend my long runs trudging round and round the same field. This time out I was hoping to reduce the tedium a bit by doing figure-8s between two adjacent fields. But the 50m or so path that joins them is the biggest swamp of all. So after traversing it once, I just stayed in my old field for 5 laps. Which was slippery enough, but not ankle deep. Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to a good wallow in filth, but I'm trying to run here, to prepare for a road marathon, and this stop-start-stumble-slip doesn't feel like good preparation. 

Still, mustn't grumble. I was out in the fresh air as the sun came up. And I must say, my joints are thanking me for all this grass work. 

Other point of note: long run has reached the point where it's longer than an episode of marathontalk. I like these little milestones.

26-01-2015, 11:17 AM,
Week 5 of 18

Another week in the bank. I finally got around to my tempo run on Saturday morning, out at 6am. After yet more rain I opted for a road route - a darn sight quicker but not something I want to do too often. Then I had to break my rule and run on consecutive days to fit in the long run - although it was morning to night, so one and a half days really, and it was my first step-back. More mud and slime, some of it in pitch darkness (still running without a head torch, naughty me) and my mp3 battery ran out during Tony's Trials. 

On Saturday afternoon, my youngest Emma and I tried a bit of papier mache playtime. I think this construction project might be a step too far for me. Eventually the chicken wire structure began to sag under the weight of the paper and paste, before the whole sorry mess slid off in a grey lump. There are loads of fancy dress possibilities out there, so there's no point busting a gut over this one idea.

Quite a busy week coming up, plus 19 miles running.

29-01-2015, 10:31 PM,
Two 6am speed sessions to the good so far this week. Tuesday was intervals, around the local streets, as it was still damp underfoot. Surreal as always to be doing sprint sessions at that time of the morning. Home in time for breakfast and the school run.

Today, tempo session before work. I had planned to take to the streets again, but with an unexpected frost I instead opted for 7 laps of the mill pond. This route usually takes in about 100m of wooded trail per lap, but it was clear that at this time of cloudy morning, I would be plunging headlong into complete, muddy, rooty, brambly darkness. The parallel tarmac path was treacherous enough. Not an easy session, but good to have in the bank.

Might have to be another 5am alarm on Saturday, as I need to get 10 miles in, and I need to get the family bacon sandwiches on by 7.30. So far, I'm preferring the early to bed / early to rise routine over the old howling at the midnight moon scenario. I guess that might change when the long runs get up to three hours.
29-01-2015, 10:40 PM,
Incidentally, I caught up on Tony's Trials during my warmup this morning. He's on most weeks on marathontalk (although not this week I notice) - click on an episode in the archive, look in the show notes to see when he starts, then "listen now" in your browser and skip forward. His talks are only 5-10 mins, but they're a masterclass in audioblogging. Worth a listen if you're at the computer for 10 mins. 
30-01-2015, 09:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-01-2015, 09:02 AM by Charliecat5.)
(29-01-2015, 10:31 PM)marathondan Wrote: Might have to be another 5am alarm on Saturday, as I need to get 10 miles in, and I need to get the family bacon sandwiches on by 7.30. So far, I'm preferring the early to bed / early to rise routine over the old howling at the midnight moon scenario. I guess that might change when the long runs get up to three hours.

I am very impressed with the early starts, although I fear you are teetering on the edge of lunacy ... I guess like many of us who hang around in this place.

I haven’t run for a week and a half now to give my body time to recover.  I have also spent most of the week with various aeroplanes strapped to my arse, and when not in the air, I’ve been pounding the rails.  Belfast, Carlisle and Glasgow have all been ticked off in the last 7 days.  

Thankfully I am working at home today… and have an idea for a run formulating in my noggin as I write.  

There is more to be done
01-02-2015, 09:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015, 09:26 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(29-01-2015, 10:31 PM)marathondan Wrote: Two 6am speed sessions to the good so far this week. ... Might have to be another 5am alarm on Saturday ... So far, I'm preferring the early to bed / early to rise routine over the old howling at the midnight moon scenario.

Good man. I've booked a place for you next to mine at the asylum.
Run. Just run.
01-02-2015, 10:04 PM,
Week 6 of 18

I did indeed set the alarm for 5am yesterday and, after a marmalade sandwich (toast takes too long) and a glass of apple juice I was out the door. I was surprised to be greeted by a light dusting of snow, which made for firm conditions underfoot. I was even treated to a short flurry around 6.30 as the wind whipped up and visibility across the field dropped markedly, but it didn't last. As Marathontalk came to an end after about 8 miles, I still had plenty in the tank, so fired up the marvellous Appetite for Destruction and upped the effort level for the last two miles.

Finished feeling great; all in all it was the best run of the season so far. In terms of mileage we're still at base camp, but going well so far. Nice to have the week's runs completed before breakfast on Saturday. And I squeezed it into the last day of January, leaving me with a very pleasing total just shy of 80 miles for the month. 22 more to come this week.

02-02-2015, 01:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015, 01:10 PM by Sweder.)
How I love those 'feelin' groovy', King of the hill, A number one, bring it on sessions.
These are worth running for. Can't wait.
Nice work, Dan

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Off-season 2015 marathondan 42 29,078 18-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  March 2015 marathondan 55 42,905 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
  February 2015 marathondan 8 5,645 25-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  January 2012 marathondan 43 44,293 31-01-2012, 06:24 PM