Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015: Resurrection
06-01-2015, 02:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 02:32 PM by Sweder.)
2015: Resurrection
A title posted more in hope than expectation. A statement of intent.

2014 ended badly. Post-football surgery, the worst man-flu I can recall and last but not least intrusive dental surgery that's left me with a mouth full of sutures and more pills than a roadie at the Isle of White Festival have laid me low.

Fitness wise I'm at Ground Zero. Christmas was less impactful than expected. Flu ate my appetite and alcohol was off the menu. Sadly, so was the exercise bike. The playing field feels level, even if that level is in t'basement. Two weeks of R&R in Miami and Key West await. I shall attend the Key West Half (I have an entry) on Jan 18th. I will not run, but I might just power-walk the 5k course. I rather fancy a finisher's shirt, and it would be nice to write something about a race. I miss writing as much as I miss running (see past ramblings on this topic).

I've been walking the dogs daily, but am the first to admit my pins now resemble those of a catwalk model, albethey a good deal more hairy and not much better in heels. A fresh canvas, if you will. The first frisson of exitement at the prospect of a return is even now sparking deep in my well- rested bones.

Moyelman plans continue. Looks like the event will be simplified, something between our test event and a full-blown race. We have 150 pre-entrants but no major sponsors, so the budget, driven entirely by entry fees, will be shoestring. It will go ahead, though. A timelapse of the couse should be available very soon.

Best of luck to all RCers. I hope you all manage to get out there to embrace the hills, waterfronts, mountain walks, canal paths, snow-covered trails and moonlit fields. I'll let you know when I'm finally back out there. 

'Appy New Year! 

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-01-2015, 04:35 AM,
RE: 2015: Resurrection
How do the hounds cope with a mere walk, as opposed to the more usual lusty dash up Blackcap?
Run. Just run.
07-01-2015, 08:21 AM,
Good to see you ready to roll again Sweder. No doubt it will be a long road back to full fitness, but you've faced a few long roads before. Do you have the full all-clear on the knee now?
07-01-2015, 08:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM by Sweder.)
Yes Dan, my Doc signed me off in December. Said I'd know when the time was right, to build on the bike and not to push too hard.
I've taken his words to heart. Light, warm-weather beach-front plodding lined up for the next fortnight.
Let's see how we get on.

07-01-2015, 08:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015, 08:51 PM by Sweder.)
(07-01-2015, 04:35 AM)IMid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: How do the hounds cope with a mere walk, as opposed to the more usual lusty dash up Blackcap?

Oh they're not restricted, they cavort all over the shop, chasing imagined prey through the woods between Landport Bottom and Blackcap. They have to loiter at times, to let the two old fatties - me and Willow - waddle up behind. 

I've dressed them in light-weight muzzles to negate their new-found love of coursing - double-teaming anything that moves at speed. Rabbits, foxes, deer, galloping horses, other dogs, magpies, even Rooks. Nipping starts the process with other dogs. Muzzles = no nipping = happy days. It also eases the nerves of other dog-walkers. Ripley and Murphy are over-eager greeters. I know they're lovely and cuddly, but when they're heading at you at +30 mps they resemble furry velociraptors. Their Lecter masks are quite reassuring in that regard.

08-01-2015, 07:30 AM,
(07-01-2015, 08:50 PM)Sweder Wrote: Oh they're not restricted, they cavort all over the shop, chasing imagined prey through the woods between Landport Bottom and Blackcap. They have to loiter at times, to let the two old fatties - me and Willow - waddle up behind. 

Yes, when you're dashing around at 4 minute mile pace, I don't suppose it matters much whether your master is progressing at 8 or 15.
10-01-2015, 12:25 PM,
Glad to see your reconstruction is imminent...Excellent idea for the muzzles on your hounds. Mine has declared war on all grey squirrels...gets very upset when they disappear up trees, he hasn't quite got the hang of climbing yet. Enjoy your holiday.
Phew this is hard work !
10-01-2015, 05:48 PM,
Hurrah! It's SW's annual post! Er, and my quarterly one, it seems.

Hope all is well, SW. Still lurking in Shanghai?

And excellent to see the swede rolling down the hill once more. Probably won't be enough to inspire new wind into these tattered sails, but weirder things have happened.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-01-2015, 11:16 PM,
Wow, who would have bet on consecutive posts from SW and EG?

EG - is the flesh unwilling, or the spirit? BTW thanks for managing to keep the archives open while closing the front page - appreciated Smile

SW - ni hao! Good luck with Wilmslow half 2012 Smile - ploddest thou?
12-01-2015, 12:23 PM,
Plodding just about sums it up!!! will do a proper post later today
Phew this is hard work !
13-01-2015, 02:25 PM,
(12-01-2015, 12:23 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: Plodding just about sums it up!!! will do a proper post later today

Excellent news : )
In Shangers late March if you're still about.

14-01-2015, 11:07 AM,
I ran.

14-01-2015, 11:56 AM,
Welcome back, that's great news!
Run. Just run.
14-01-2015, 12:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015, 01:09 PM by Sweder.)
All the late night bargains have been struck
Between the satin beaus and their belles
Prehistoric garbage trucks
Have the city to themselves

Dire Straits, Your Latest Trick

Cities at night have a rhythm, a heavy pulse that links to our subconscious, tuning us in with the rattle and hum. Street cleaners hail bar staff sluicing out last night’s detritus. Late night revellers weave home through the mist, arms entwined, sharing a silent joke, huddled faces bathed in soft neon. 

Two hours before the sun was due, I did something I’ve not attempted for the best part of seven months. I went for a run.

It was an ugly, desperate affair, all flop-sweat and rasping breath. I stopped, sucking heavy air, hands on knees. This must be that old twenty minute barrier, I thought. I glanced at my watch. Five minutes. Five minutes and you’re almost dead, sang Jean-Jacques Burnel. 
Christ.

I pushed on, past the shuffling Lost, the sun-dried Homeless gathering on the boardwalk, waiting for the public amenities to open. After what seemed like a lifetime I veered right onto the beach. Crushed shells pounded flat make a nice change from unforgiving concrete. Beach-lamps  leered out of the fine ocean mist like distant runway lights. I pushed on. 

The knee felt fine. I had to stop again, though. My lungs, convinced this was some kind of suicide attempt, needed reassurance. I fed them, peering out to sea for a glimpse of daybreak. The inky blackness peered back, silent, un-moved.

Twenty-nine minutes, two-point-five-five miles. Nothing and everything, for me, a triumph. A shower, a latte, day-break, an anti-inflammatory (you can’t be too careful). Breakfast will taste better than it has in a long while.

It begins.

14-01-2015, 01:19 PM,
Great to see you back out there, and for the occasion to be marked with a classic Sweder location and time of day.

You're only running a couple of times a week to start with, right?
14-01-2015, 01:32 PM,
(14-01-2015, 01:19 PM)marathondan Wrote: You're only running a couple of times a week to start with, right?

24 hours complete rest to evaluate any damage. I'm planning a repeat on Friday (48 hours gap). If all goes well I'll line up in Key West on Sunday. For the 5k, not the half.

14-01-2015, 02:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015, 02:52 PM by stillwaddler.)
Go Sweder...You'll eat up that 5k
(BTW how do I start a new thread in the Forum???)
Phew this is hard work !
14-01-2015, 03:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015, 03:09 PM by Sweder.)
Hi SW. It took me a while to suss that out.
It's blue box with a page in it at the bottom of your list of threads.

Today's run felt like a half, but all in all I'm happy with it.
Little by little, bit by bit ...

14-01-2015, 06:21 PM,
Well done, S. I'm very glad you're on the move again. Best of luck!

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

15-01-2015, 12:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015, 12:45 PM by Sweder.)
Thanks for the best wishes, everyone.

Prologue:
After 9 hours' kip I awoke to assess the damage. Everything aches; quads, calves, joints, hamstrings, even my lungs feel bruised. The good news is the knee is silent, un-swollen and happy enough to allow me to waddle down to the News Cafe for my customary people-watching breakfast.

Street vendors are setting up for the 2015 edition of the Art Deco Weekend Fesitval. Hard to believe we are setting sail just as this gets underway but we have bigger fish to fry in the southernmost Key. I have a hot date with Hemmingway's six-toed cats, the small matter of a 5k race and lashings of Key Lime Pie.
And, God willing, a race report to write. At last.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December 2015 Sweder 7 3,741 31-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  November 2015 Sweder 10 4,914 01-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  August 2015 Sweder 16 7,028 25-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man