Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resurrection Shuffle*
14-01-2015, 04:11 PM,
Resurrection Shuffle*
Apologies To Sweder for pinching half of his thread title and thanks to Sweder for telling me where to find the New Thread icon:-)

Forgive me Father it has been many months since my last confession....many months and very few running miles.

Back in 2014 I got a ballot place in the VLM after many years of trying but as I was in China I held it over until this year. Good plan? well it might have been if I was running fit but of course I'm at rocky bottom.  I had a few 3 -4 milers last autumn and although I'm even slower than I used to be I put that down to plain Old Age.  Then the dreaded chest lurgy hit me at the end of November.  No worries really after all I didn't have to start training until 18 weeks before hand.  Then on the Monday before Christmas the lurgy returned - not much fun especially as I was catering for 11 over Christmas all of whom where staying with us too.  After many liberal applications of Christmas spirit I limped through. still no thought of running although I continued to walk the dog.  Then the sudden realisation that there are only 16 weeks before The Big One...bummer.  Had a look at Hal's infamous training plan and decided to revise it - forget the 4 times a week lark 3 will have to do and I probably won't run any further that 5 miles mid week.  I will try and stick to the long runs scheduled.

With more than a little trepidation I limped out last Tuesday for my local 3.4 miler, er, bad plan. Had to walk umpteen times on the grounds that I couldn't actually breath ( liberal use of my inhaler helped a bit) and my bum developed a piriformis (sp?) type ache too. It took me 40 minutes. Coughing like a fool for the rest of the day...Strangely on Wednesday chest felt a little better? I treated myself to 2 days rest and toddled out again on Friday. Breathing wasn't quite as much effort but still had to have 3 walk breaks and again it took me 40 minutes. 

Needed to do something to try and motivate myself so what better than a new running gizmo! Duly ordered a TomTom runner with HRM (dead cheap at Sweatshop at the moment) This will give me a chance to check my pace at a glance which my Garmin 110 can't do.

Sunday saw the arrival of a 6miler _6 MILES!!!!! just the idea was daunting and the new gizmo hadn't arrived to distract me on the way round either.  Mr SW decided he would break his running fast and came out with me for the first 2 miles, we had to walk after the first half mile! he toddled home I carried on, after 3 miles I realised that I just had to find a loo - eek - fortunately I was running a circuit close to home and I pass a couple of pubs...dived into the Puss in Boots and the very kind publican gave me permission to exclusive use of the Ladies  - for this relief much thanks P in B, remind me to go in there for a pint.  I did take my United hat off before I went in just in case it was a City pub, can't be too careful;-) 

I continued with the pathetic jog walk but I did complete the 6miles  so very relieved to have done it even if it was in a pathetic time of approx 1 hour 13 minutes ( I forgot to time the loo stop!) Come to think about it the evening before I had had three pints of Wainwright and a pint of cider after steak and kidney pudding and chips so I suppose that didn't exactly aid my performance? 

Picked up the new gizmo from the local Sweatshop on Monday, looks a very promising piece of kit, so took it for its first outing yesterday, I didn't hook up to the HRM as have no idea how to use it as a training aid (does anyone on here have any hints).  Guess what -  I still had to walk on three occasions on the 3.4 miler and it still took me 40 minutes 15 seconds.  

Will hit the treddy on Thursday night as Mr SW said he will join me at the gym...you can flip the gizmo to treadmill mode!

So will I manage 8 miles at the weekend? Who knows I'll give it a go and see what happens.

BTW Mr SW now based back in Blighty and is currently working in Manchester.  As much as I enjoyed visiting China its great to have him home:-)

* Resurrection Shuffle - Ashton Gardener and Dyke 1971 later hi-jacked by Tom Jones
Phew this is hard work !
14-01-2015, 09:11 PM,
RE: Resurrection Shuffle*
Great to see you back here SW and to hear that you're both back in the UK. Sounds like a great plan to cut the runs down to 3 and concentrate on the long ones. Maybe - as you walked 3 times in a 3.4 miler - you should be planning for a run / walk strategy from the off? Anyway best of luck for the preparation, I will be on the start line too, hopefully we can run together for a bit, a la Brighton 2011 - I still owe you some jelly babies! Hope you make the 8 miler this weekend.
15-01-2015, 12:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015, 12:33 PM by Sweder.)
A warm welcome back, SW. Bravery personified for getting out there when you feel least like it.
Our Christmases sound similar. After a knee op in October and no running since a ludicrous football injury in July, I too sucumbed to the dreaded chest lurghie and was bed-bound for three days leading up to Crimbo day.

Yesterday was my first outing - a measely 2.55 mikes - in seven months. This morning my legs are raw hamburger, quads, calves, hammies all a-flame. But I don't care, because the errant knee is silent.

The road is long, with many a winding turn, but we have taken the first steps.
Dan's advice is sound. A run-walk strategy works well (just ask Suzie), and can be converted later should things pick-up faster than expected.

Here's to getting back on the horse *clink*

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-01-2015, 11:51 PM,
Fantastic you see you back and running again - and even aiming for the VLM! I take my hat off to you.

I am very much looking forward to reading your training reports - keep them coming ... and don't forget to drop into the pub for that pint.

I *clinks* you too.
Run. Just run.
20-01-2015, 04:54 PM,
Cheers guys _ I think you are the brave one Sweder, I'm just stupid and oh the flesh is weak...missed my long run on Sunday after having a cracking get together with friends on Saturday night - I knew the cocktails were a bad idea:-( never mind I will get there. Have just fostered another lurcher (not keeping this one honest) and she is running me ragged!!! Why did I agree to it????? She is really cute if you know anyone who wants a little whippet cross with enough energy to fuel a small town
Phew this is hard work !
20-01-2015, 06:00 PM,
(20-01-2015, 04:54 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: ... if you know anyone who wants a little whippet cross with enough energy to fuel a small town

I would be a dead man. But good on you for helping another lost soul.

26-01-2015, 11:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-01-2015, 11:30 AM by stillwaddler.)
Well the little lurcher is thriving! I think they got her muddled up with another hound as she was described to us as being so frightened and shy that she wouldn't go out on a walk from the rescue kennels whereas this one has her nose into everything and pulls like a husky! I think she is having a delayed puppy hood, puddles on the floor included:-( Ah well she'll settle down and make someone a lovely hound.

On the shuffling front...was a bit confined to barracks sorting out Stanley and the new inmate, lots of dog walking 'though. Managed to get out late Thursday afternoon and trotted out 3.4 miles at just over 11 minute miles and I didn't have to walk - ooh that felt good. Sundays long slow run turned out to be 8.15 miles and it really was a lsr, I completed it in 12.10 minute miles after walking every time I fancied a wine gum. Not sure about wine gums for running fuel I think they take too long to chew so might revert to jelly babies a la Brighton 2011 Marathondan!! I think it is supposed to be 10 miles next weekend? ah well, I'll give it a go. Its good to be back.
Phew this is hard work !
26-01-2015, 01:30 PM,
Yep I think jelly babies are the way to go - a couple of chews and they're down. 1-2 of them per mile, washed down with a bit of water, should be enough to replace the carbs you're burning. I will be hitting jelly baby distance soon so will recheck the science of how many I need to eat. Great news that you banked the 8+ miles, sounds like the run / walk strategy is working!
26-01-2015, 01:31 PM,
PS - I like that "shuffling" now seems to have joined "plodding" and "waddling" as another euphemism for r***ing. Don't mention the r-word Smile
26-01-2015, 04:13 PM,
Re the "PS" I really couldn't claim that the movement I am attempting has got anything to do with RUNNING - there, I said it.
Phew this is hard work !
01-02-2015, 09:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015, 09:34 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
There's nothing wrong with waddling or shuffling your way around a race course. It's far better than being slapped in the face with mediocrity whilst sitting on your couch ... which is what I've been doing lately.

Mediocrity. It smells like fish.
Run. Just run.
02-02-2015, 11:54 AM,
I just did a lengthy-ish reply and the tinternet ate it:-( will try again later
Phew this is hard work !
02-02-2015, 12:23 PM,
stillwaddlerI just did a lengthy-ish reply and the tinternet ate it:-( will try again later

Ah, yes. That. I've started writng posts in Word or iOS Notepad to avoid that horror.
Sorry for your loss, SW

02-02-2015, 12:54 PM,
Cheers Sweder - good plan and thank you for your kind condolences.
Phew this is hard work !
02-02-2015, 06:05 PM,
Not sure if it's still the case, but I found a while back that if you had *any* test highlighted in a reply at all and hit the 'Esc' key for any reason, it would irretrievably delete the lot. So I too now use Word to write my replies, and then cut and paste into the forum.
Run. Just run.
16-02-2015, 03:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015, 03:36 PM by stillwaddler.)
Thanks for the tip MLCM, the following from Word as suggested:-)

So, ten miles were done 2 Sundays ago..slow, steady but felt surprisingly ok afterwards. This followed by a couple of 3.5 miles mid week all ready for the step down to 7 miles – seemed like a doddle. Ha, serves me right. Couldn’t complete the 7 mile at the weekend as normal due to one thing or another so scheduled it for last Monday. What a total disaster, felt knackered right from the start, legs like lead and a set of lungs that would have made very good colanders. After 4.5 miles I chucked in the towel, couldn’t do any more and certainly couldn’t face weaving my way through the school kids who were just emerging from the gate. Walked back home feeling thoroughly demoralized and deflated but feeling very glad that I have paid extra for the hotel in Greenwich and the train fare down there so that I can cancel at short notice even 'though it would be such a shame to waste my mara place. Tuesday I woke up with another cold/sinus thing. I don’t think I have felt properly well since last November and my running times have been quite a bit slower than those I did last autumn. I was feeling slightly better yesterday so toddled out for a 2.6 miler and I know it was only a short one but the time was much better than a couple of weeks ago. Tomorrow I am going to attempt the missed 12 miler from the weekend schedule…wish me luck!
Phew this is hard work !
16-02-2015, 04:09 PM,
Good luck!

I think it's the curse of the "easy" run - any time you think you're in for an easy session, it turns out harder than you think, and you wonder what went wrong. Approach the 12 miler with fear and trepidation, and it might turn out alright!
16-02-2015, 04:14 PM,
I'm sure you are right and I'm absolutely dreading tomorrow's outing.
Phew this is hard work !
16-02-2015, 05:26 PM,
Good luck!
On the lurghie, I've had something or other since about November. Reared up again this weekend, scuppering plans for more plods around the field. I'm strapped to a 747 to Vancouver now. Runners are packed and I will have time.
Fingers crossed.

16-02-2015, 07:54 PM,
(16-02-2015, 04:14 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: I'm sure you are right and I'm absolutely dreading tomorrow's outing.

Excellent! I hope you are beside yourself with fear. It'll be a nightmare. Smile