Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March 2015
02-03-2015, 08:12 PM,
March 2015
Week 10 of 18

Kicked off the month last night with my 15 miler. Proper old school training for me, Sunday night and on road. Due to a mild, wet week, I've ended up doing all three runs on road this week. Probably not a problem so long as I don't do it too often. And I do have a couple of long hardtop runs scheduled, so I can count this as one of those. Anyway, not such a bad effort. Hard going through the last third, but after 5 minutes stretching my recovery felt very quick and I'm sure there was more in the tank. I reflected that I only need to find another 5 miles of controlled running to take me up to the 20, and then I'm into the grimace-and-hold-on phase of the marathon. Still, we're definitely getting to the tough stuff now. Still suffering a considerable bit of DOMS in the quads, and I'm due to set the alarm for early o'clock for a pre-dawn interval session.

Total for February: 80 miles. Which was only a fraction more than January. But I think that's due to how the dates fell - 14 runs in January, only 11 in Feb. 

10 mile step back next weekend. 

Oh, and I'm definitely running slower than 10 years ago, or even 5. This long run came in at 4:15 marathon pace, which in past years I might have accepted for a 20 miler, but for this distance it would have been a cause for concern. This year, I just feel happy to finish the distance, whatever the pace. Then again, I'm coming off the back of my lightest ever running year, due to the achilles. That must have an effect.

02-03-2015, 10:35 PM,
RE: March 2015
That unwanted rest may have another affect, Dan.
There's no substitute for mileage, yet there's a lot to be said for rest. Connemara was only possible, I believe, because I'd run so little in the months leading up to it.

As ever, my remarks are off the hip, lacking any whiff of scientific evidence.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-03-2015, 06:31 AM,
Looks like you're pretty much on track Dan. Apart from being slower than you were and a bit of DOMS, how confident are you feeling?
Run. Just run.
04-03-2015, 04:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015, 04:49 PM by El Gordo.)
Well done, Dan -- pleased to see you're still going strong-ish.

@MLCMM - are you planning to be in London to cheer on the RC troops in the marathon? The event is quite a spectacle. Highly recommended if you can make it.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-03-2015, 07:58 PM,
(03-03-2015, 06:31 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Looks like you're pretty much on track Dan. Apart from being slower than you were and a bit of DOMS, how confident are you feeling?

Well, the training is bang on track, so based on past experience I know - I KNOW - it will be alright on the night. That is, barring sudden injuries. I'm a little nervous about donning the monkey suit again, but I know that the race day fairies will carry me round. It's been three years... far too long. *whispered huzzah*
04-03-2015, 07:59 PM,
[quote pid='26770' dateline='1425487751']
@MLCMM - are you planning to be in London to cheer on the RC troops in the marathon? The event is quite a spectacle. Highly recommended if you can make it.
[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth ... was going to invite the MLCMan Clan to Mile 13/ 22.5 to stand with the JDRF posse. I'll be up there from 6am to set up. It's a great spot to see the elites come through on an empty road, then back again with thousands streaming pass on the other side.

04-03-2015, 08:01 PM,
You took the words right out of my mouth EG ... was going to invite the MLCMan Clan to Mile 13/ 22.5 to stand with the JDRF posse. I'll be up there from 6am to set up. It's a great spot to see the elites come through on an empty road, then back again with thousands streaming pass on the other side.

10-03-2015, 10:01 AM,
Week 11 of 18

A bit of a slip this week as I ran out of mental steam and ended up skipping my step-back long run. Still, I got two good sessions in around the field: late night intervals under a glorious full moon, and then a Saturday morning tempo effort under a similarly fabulous early spring sun. Conditions underfoot have been great - soft but not slippery.

So the infographic looks a bit sub standard this week, but if you were to name one recurrent theme on the RC forum it would probably be reboots. Only 4 serious weeks left to go for me now before taper time, so it's time to dig in and push on.

Additions to the A-Z this week:

Enema of the State
Fever

Out at 6 this morning for another interval session around the field. It's now light at that time, and for the first time I was able to time my intervals by actually looking at my watch rather than counting steps. I'm not hitting the pace that I'd like on the intervals, partly because I'm sprinting longer and recovering shorter, and partly because... I don't feel the need to.

17 miler next weekend.
10-03-2015, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 12:12 PM by Charliecat5.)
(10-03-2015, 10:01 AM)marathondan Wrote: Week 11 of 18

A bit of a slip this week as I ran out of mental steam and ended up skipping my step-back long run.

I remain impressed even if you have slipped a little.  My running has taken quite a hit of late.  In January I was fired up re-routing the Moyleman and as a result managed lots of trips out including two Moyleman halves.  But since then, running has been on the back burner.  From the end of January I have only been out twice - a very tough 7 miles and then a 3 mile quickie.  Now I have read your post - I am going to head out this lunchtime for half and hour as I can't run at the weekend because of the Moyleman  Confused
There is more to be done
10-03-2015, 02:46 PM,
(10-03-2015, 12:11 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: I remain impressed even if you have slipped a little.  My running has taken quite a hit of late.  In January I was fired up re-routing the Moyleman and as a result managed lots of trips out including two Moyleman halves.  But since then, running has been on the back burner.  From the end of January I have only been out twice - a very tough 7 miles and then a 3 mile quickie.  Now I have read your post - I am going to head out this lunchtime for half and hour as I can't run at the weekend because of the Moyleman  Confused

Good man.

I'm impressed that you're even thinking about running. You have a very important job to do on Sunday, and if I was you I'd be encasing my legs in cotton wool with paranoia this week!

As you may have noticed, I'm a planning junkie. Unless I'm training for a specific event, with planned runs set out week by week, my running also becomes sporadic. When I'm on the plan, even if I don't feel like running, I see the session as a small step in a much bigger project, and more often than not I drag myself out the door.

Hope you enjoy it on Sunday. Then the running can recommence... spring is the perfect season for it. And the training for *running* MM16 has to start somewhere...
12-03-2015, 10:24 AM,
8.5 miles tempo at 0530 this morning. Very hard work - as it should be. Tragically, the run was completed only two minutes faster than a so-called easy run over the same route a few weeks ago. But I seem to recall that I had a spring in my step that day and put rather more effort in than was necessary.

As per usual, a lovely morning to be out as the sun rose. The red orb was just peeking over the trees as I exited the field.

Perhaps appropriately, Fever ended and gave way to Hysteria.
13-03-2015, 11:27 PM,
(12-03-2015, 10:24 AM)marathondan Wrote: Perhaps appropriately, Fever ended and gave way to Hysteria.

Ah, Def Leppard

16-03-2015, 12:23 PM,
Week 12 of 18

It's all starting to blur a bit now. Apparently I did two early morning sessions in the week, but I don't really remember them. Just about the only variation is the music I'm listening to, which I will continue to document for my own sanity.

Conditions have been good recently, fairly dry and mild with the going medium underfoot. Thus I've been able to stick to the fields and hopefully protect my joints a bit. 

Last night I was out there again for my longest run of the campaign, indeed my longest run for 3 years, the 17 miler. The short bridleway connecting the two fields was firm so I was able to follow my long circuit of about 3.5 miles - so four and half laps would be adequate. There was no discernible moon, just the gentle glow of the urban sprawl faintly reflecting off the clouds. In my almost three hours, I didn't see a single soul, other than the odd car passing by where my route crosses roads. So it's a strangle and solitary world, plodding away in near total darkness (I've never replaced my lost head torch). There's 100m or so of broad woodland trail which is particularly surreal; I traversed that 5 times. And the alleyway on the way to and from the field, where at times I can't see my feet. I should mention that I did take a tumble, my toe catching the rutted bridleway at about 7 miles.

It may all sound quaintly eccentric and jolly so far, but it was bloody hard. By about 13 miles the game was largely up and I was taking a lot of walk breaks. After 5 minutes of so of this I managed to rally a bit, but at this stage I was doing well to get a mile below 10 minutes. It turned out that the route was a quarter of a mile short of the prescribed distance, but there was nothing left in the tank so I called it a night (this was around 11.30 pm). I'm putting the struggle down to being offroad; despite doing most of my training on grass in recent years I did all my formative running on road, and it's hard not to compare the two. I suppose coming in at around 4:30 marathon pace isn't too dreadful, perhaps until you consider that 5 years ago I ran a full marathon only 15 minutes outside that IN A FULL FECKIN GORILLA SUIT.

Ah well, onwards and... onwards. Legs are very sore today and I'm not sure I'll be ready for an interval session tomorrow before breakfast. Long run wise, just the 19 and the 20 to go now; I'm tempted to run them on road to speed me up a bit. There's also the matter of a "heavy gear" partial dress rehearsal to fit in.

16-03-2015, 06:01 PM,
Good work, Dan. I remember the frustration at losing pace when first hitting a certain distance (against the last time I'd run that distance).

Back when I trained with Chris we'd hit a given distance three Sundays in a row. The first one would be desperate for me, a real ugly flounder. The second usually quicker, but still debilitating. The third I'd finish like a train, eyes out, reckoning I might add a few yards if I had to. The next week, of course, Chris would add another mile or two and chuck in a big bastard hill.

17-03-2015, 10:13 AM,
(16-03-2015, 06:01 PM)Sweder Wrote: Back when I trained with Chris we'd hit a given distance three Sundays in a row. The first one would be desperate for me, a real ugly flounder. The second usually quicker, but still debilitating. The third I'd finish like a train, eyes out, reckoning I might add a few yards if I had to. The next week, of course, Chris would add another mile or two and chuck in a big bastard hill.

The phrase "suck it up, big fella" did pop into my head as I ground out the last lap. A phrase which has probably entered the RC lexicon, along with

"running is the answer"
"we are all an experiment of one"
err...
that's probably it
19-03-2015, 11:27 AM,
5 miles night-time intervals last night on the back of only about 3 hours sleep the night before. Total time was a minute slower than last week, which was done before dawn. Despite the fact that this week I extended the sprints from 110s to 120s. It was the darkest I can ever remember out on the field; with no moon I could barely make out the trail at times. Fortunately I've run the loop so many times I know that there's only one pothole on the circuit, and I know right where it is.

Going: firm. Must wear my new shoes on these offroad sessions. 9 miles tomorrow; the alarm will be set for 5am.
19-03-2015, 11:41 AM,
(19-03-2015, 11:27 AM)marathondan Wrote: Fortunately I've run the loop so many times I know that there's only one pothole on the circuit, and I know right where it is.

Just wondered how many times I've run that loop around the field. Apparently I took it up after an ankle injury in late 2011. (I love this forum.) 

Approximately 218 times to date, it seems. 
20-03-2015, 08:28 AM,
(19-03-2015, 11:41 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(19-03-2015, 11:27 AM)marathondan Wrote: Fortunately I've run the loop so many times I know that there's only one pothole on the circuit, and I know right where it is.

Just wondered how many times I've run that loop around the field. Apparently I took it up after an ankle injury in late 2011. (I love this forum.) 

Approximately 218 times to date, it seems. 

What really impresses me about your running, is not the physical element (which is impressive in itself) but your mental strength in being able to run the same loop over and over and over... and in the dark.  I simply wouldn't have the mental capacity to do this... I would give up on lap two.  Never mind 218 laps.

Good work sir.
There is more to be done
20-03-2015, 08:59 AM,
(20-03-2015, 08:28 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: What really impresses me about your running, is not the physical element (which is impressive in itself) but your mental strength in being able to run the same loop over and over and over... and in the dark.  I simply wouldn't have the mental capacity to do this... I would give up on lap two.  Never mind 218 laps.

Weird, isn't it?

I quite like the repetition - you get into a meditative state at times. In 12 (eek) years of running, I've never had a loop bigger than 5 miles. That's mainly because I've always run at unsocial hours, and so it's not convenient to venture a long way from home. And I've always baulked at the idea of driving somewhere to then go for a run.

A tough and fairly joyless session this morning. 9 miles tempo, two and a bit laps of the big field loop. I was out of the door about 5.15, as night was just starting to think about receding. It's pretty hard to hold a decent pace over that distance, and it wasn't until about 7 miles that I found anything like a meditative state. Still, another one in the bank.

Five weeks on Sunday.
20-03-2015, 11:29 AM,
It's looking good, Dan. I can feel the race report excitement building already. Go for it, son!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Off-season 2015 marathondan 42 29,113 18-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  February 2015 marathondan 8 5,661 25-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  January 2015 marathondan 27 16,601 02-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  March 2012 marathondan 22 27,764 29-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  March 2011 marathondan 21 24,846 31-03-2011, 01:58 PM