Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 03:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-05-2015, 03:51 PM by glaconman.)
Not sure how many people will read this given how sporadic my posting has been over the last couple of years. But I thought a cursory update was in order just to add to the mix and let you know the flag is still flying here in Yorkshire. Even if it's alittle stained and tattered around the edges. And the breeze drops now and again.

I'm undergoing a minor renaissance and getting some fitness back. This is based on the following factors:

1. I have joined Strava.
2. My son is now at an age where we can run and cycle together.
3. My Mrs has taken to her roadbike with gusto.
4. I've lost a few kilos by what may be described as a partial-paleo-shift.
5. I'm splitting exercise between cycling and running.
6. I'm doing a healthier mix of easy and hard excercise.
7. Most of my running is off-road.

The year-to-date in terms of races is as follows:

Harden Trail Race - 1st March
First running of a local race around the St Ives Estate above Bingley. Nice easy trails. Bit of a shock to be in a race again as I remember.

Helm Hill - 22nd March
Part of the Kendal Winter League series of fell races. A two lap parcours on a hill that's home to Helm Hill Runners.

Wardle Skyline - 11th April
Perfect for me as I'd describe it as a fell race for road runners. The ascents not too brutal and a long, runnable descent on tracks into the finish.

Bunny Runs - 31st MArch and 21st April
These are short races through old quarries above Howarth run on 4 consecutive Tuesdays around Easter. Famous for being an early competitive arena for the Brownlees who still come back here to do Fell races and run for Bingley Harriers. I
did the second race and the final relay.

Coniston - 3rd May
This was meant as a last, hard effort before my 'A' race. Pace judgment went by-the-wayside as I charged up the first 2.5 mile ascent feeling strong. Only to be greeted on the tops by high winds, snow and low visibility. People were staying in groups for safety but I struggled to stay close. Getting lost and desperately eating food to regain energy. Eventually somebody taking bearings off The Old Man guided me out of the clouds. But instead of the tourist path we dropped down a near vertical route through the old slate quarries. Serves me right. Good to get down to the finish even if it was 15 minutes later than planned. Lessons to learn and Ministry of Funny Walks until Wednesday.

Leeds Half Marathon - 10th May
I can't claim to have paced this perfectly but it was a near-as-damn-it attempt. It's 9 miles hilly followed by 4 flat. So pace judgement is always going to be difficult. The last 2 miles saw a slow-down. But I managed to pip the 1:30 pacer. Which was the start-line target. And, whilst I don't profess to enjoy city races much, it seemed like the drama-free antedote to the previous weekend's experiences. Forgot to tape-up nipples. White vest with big red streaks.

Alas my attempt to make a 3 year streak at the 3 peaks ended in disappointment (entering and not turning up doesn't count). But I'm hopeful of a good summer of running shenanigans if I can keep my head and steer clear of injury.

In brief: Happy Days.
14-05-2015, 08:47 AM,
RE: 2015
Great work GM. It all sounds very holistic. Seems a few months of solid work have paid off, with a none too shabby half marathon time - even if it was on the evil tarmac. A bit of a surprise for us townies to hear of snow in May, but as you say, lessons learned. Here's to more great events (some en famille no doubt) over the summer.
14-05-2015, 09:00 AM,
Photo  RE: 2015
(14-05-2015, 08:47 AM)marathondan Wrote: A bit of a surprise for us townies to hear of snow in May

Cheers Dan. I think most people were suprised. The RO said it had been run in sunshine since the 80's. This was a snap taken during the race.

[Image: snowcon.jpg]
14-05-2015, 09:49 AM,
(14-05-2015, 09:00 AM)glaconman Wrote:
(14-05-2015, 08:47 AM)marathondan Wrote: A bit of a surprise for us townies to hear of snow in May

Cheers Dan. I think most people were suprised. The RO said it had been run in sunshine since the 80's. This was a snap taken during the race.
[Image: snowcon.jpg]

My favourite kind of running... 
There is more to be done
14-05-2015, 09:51 AM,
Bloody brilliant, all of it (apart from the nipple damage; that was just bloody)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  September 2015 glaconman 1 1,733 26-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  July 2015 glaconman 2 2,701 28-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  June 2015 glaconman 5 2,485 18-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2015 part II glaconman 0 1,253 02-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Last Post: glaconman