Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The eagle has crash landed
11-04-2015, 10:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015, 10:10 AM by stillwaddler.)
The eagle has crash landed
It’s shaming to report but my FLM attempt is in ashes. My decision to withdraw was brought on by a combination of things – A late start to the schedule due to various winter lurgies, Piriformis has been a constant niggle with the odd nasty flare up, ITB with quite a lot of pain on the outside of my hip plus my complete inability to run more than a few miles without having to plan in umpteen pit stops despite the liberal consumption of Diocalm which was debilitating to say the leastL Having to walk 2 dogs separately for an hour or so each also did not help. Mr SW was concerned that if I continued I would make myself ill and to be honest I think he is right. So I withdrew from Wilmslow and I won’t be going to London.  I feel a complete failure. I am planning to get to the GP and get checked out. In the meantime my waddles will be short.  Anybody have any experience of Park Runs? 

On a more positive note the little lurcher we were fostering was adopted last week.
Phew this is hard work !
11-04-2015, 12:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015, 12:36 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: The eagle has crash landed
As someone who has also abandoned several race campaigns, I sympathise completely. It's hard to get over the feeling of failure, however you do get through that and soon realise that a 'DNS' isn't defeat but actually a triumph of wisdom and common sense over stubbornness. There will be many more races worthy of your attention in the years ahead. Meanwhile, relax and rest and you will race ready again soon enough.

Enjoy your sabbatical and the new lurcher!
Run. Just run.
11-04-2015, 07:53 PM,
Sounds like the right decision SW, well done for making the brave choice. I've been to a couple of parkruns, they seem great events both to take part in and as a way to join a low-pressure running community. And you can run with dogs! A few 5Ks in the spring sunshine could be just what the doctor ordered.
12-04-2015, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015, 11:44 AM by Sweder.)
Don't beat yourself up SW. We've all been there. Health first, always. I finally 'succumbed' and accepted medical advice last year and am grateful that I did so. You'll know when it's time to return to the streets. Dan's right, a few gentle outings with the hounds in this lovely weather, walking or plodding, will help no end.

Parkruns are excellent IMO. I've done 50 Hove Park PRs (and one in Glasgow). They're inclusive, motivational and highly sociable events. HP has around 400 participants each Saturday, everyone from whippets to waddlers. Unlike the gym there is no macho posturing, just hearty encouragement. Apart from a handful of elite runners everyone is competng with him or herself. 

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-04-2015, 08:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015, 08:14 PM by stillwaddler.)
Thanks for your kind words guys, its much appreciated. Still feeling both cross and disappointed but on a better note we are off to Berlin for a few days tomorrow which was to be the highpoint of the marathon taper but hey, I can just concentrate on the hydration ;-)
Marathondan - do you have a Just Giving Page? If so I will point some dosh in your direction in lieu of jelly babies.
Sweder, The Shanghai taxi journey you described on your thread was so familiar!! I have been with that driver:-)
MLCMM I shall enjoy the sabbatical. We are down to just the original lurcher now as the foster one has gone to a new home but Stanley is just gorgeous and runs for fun and the joy of living....

PS - saw a guy running past my house the other day sporting a great tee shirt, it said "Running Sucks" oh how true:-)
Phew this is hard work !
18-04-2015, 07:14 AM,
Thanks very much SW - Just Gibbon page is here: uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DanHaldane

I do still owe you some jelly babies so we'll have to see if our paths can cross at some event one day.

Have a great weekend. Maybe pack the runners? Who knows, in the sunshine, a tiny plodette around a nearby park might seem appealing? It's often the best way to see a city. And then you will have earned that first stein...

Anyway, most of all, enjoy the lack of pressure!