Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 mile challenge
30-09-2015, 02:43 PM,
100 mile challenge
When I read about the 100 mile challenge in 100 days that MarathonDan wrote about,  I thought it could be good to motivate myself to go for a run in the summer, which is usually hard here due to the heat in that season. It started on 22nd June at the beginning of summer and it ended yesterday 29th September at the beginning of autumn. Although I have been quite irregular, especially in July and August, which have been hotter than usual, I´ve managed to do 168 km, that is, 101 miles and even took part in a 10 K race in Almería last Sunday in order to run with other friends wearing a t-shirt from "Ojos rebeldes" ( rebellious eyes ), which is an association that helps blind people. I did the course in 68 minutes which is quite slow even for my poor marks but I ended better than I'd expected since my last runs are quite slow at a nearly 8 minute pace a kilometre. 

Last Sunday, the race, which was in support of ASPAPROS ( an association in favour of  intellectually disabled people ) started at 10:30 am. It was a sunny hot day. It started at the Mediterranean Games stadium, the same start as the half marathon. A friend of mine, Felope, went at my pace for seven kilometres. From kilometre 3, Sophia, from Hungary, told us if she could keep us company. "Of course", we said. It was a pleasure to go all together talking about so many topics such as how she met her Spanish husband in Edimburgh, the way she spoke Spanish so perfectly or about the fact that was her first race ... After seven kilometres I told Felipe he could go faster and reach our friend Antonio G. since Sophia had to slow down a little and I didn´t feel like leaving her behind. So we arrived at the athletics track together where Sophia´s husband, who had already finished the race, was waiting for her. There I saw Felipe and Antonio G.Afterwards, I went to have water, melon and nuts provided by the organisation. I was glad to be able to take part in a race after Almería half marathon on the first Sunday of February.

My aim for the next 100 days is to be able to run at least 200 miles.

Saludos desde Almería.

04-10-2015, 01:28 PM,
RE: 100 mile challenge
Well done Antonio! I am looking forward to reading how you go in reaching your 200 mile target. I might have to do something similar myself.

All the best from sunny Australia.

Smile
Run. Just run.
05-10-2015, 08:42 PM,
Gracias, MLCMM!
I haven't started very well since yesterday I took part in an 8.3 km race at Zurgena and got a cramp in my left calf one kilometre before reaching the finish although I managed to get there in 58 minutes. I think it must have been overtraining last month compared to July or August. Anyway, today I'm feeling nearly well but I'll be few days without going for a run to avoid an injury.

Best of luck with your training and greetings to your family.

12-01-2016, 02:59 PM,
Unfortunately I couldn'd do the 200 mile challenge in 100 days. After the 8 k race at Zurgena on 4th October I had a cramp that prevented me from going for a run until November. Most of the runs were short just five or six kilometres. The longest one was 12 k. I took part in the San Silvestre race on 27th December in Almería, just six kilometres that I did in 37 minutes, five more than last year but in the morning I had walked up and down the Subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla in Pechina with some friends and relatives of Manuel who died of cancer in July 2014 and who loved that course and scenery. This year the race wasn't organised by the local council so we decided to go on our own and have a nice day out as a homage to Manuel.

In all I did 226 kilometres, that is, 140,45 miles.

Last Sunday I took part in a tough mountain race at Alicún, a small town 27 km away from Almería, It was 11.2 km along mainly narrow dirt track with tough hills. It took me one hour fifty minutes. I still have stiff legs but I enjoyed the race with Santi and Felipe and other runners we met at the race.

Now I'm training to do the Almería half on 7th February.

Best wishes for the New Year!

Saludos desde Almería

12-01-2016, 11:58 PM,
Happy New Year! Well done for completing the run in memory of Manuel.
As we get older our running goals change. I like these outings that are more than just traveling from a to b; they are a journey in a wider sense, opening up avenues of thought and memory as well as tracks and trails.

Good luck with your training. I am horribly out of shape, in more ways than one.
My hope for Key West is to get round without injury. Luckily for me American runners are not as fit as those in Almeria, so I won't be last.

Saludos desde Lewes!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-01-2016, 02:47 PM,
Gracias, amigo.

You needn`t worry. You´re probably fitter than you think. Best of luck at Key West and have a wondeful time in Florida!

Saludos desde Almería