Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How soon is ow
17-10-2016, 10:34 AM,
How soon is ow
As my taper starts for the run in just under 2 weeks, the prospect of "just" 21k seemed like a pleasant afternoon's outing. True, I had done a hard Twitten Run, but that had felt good and so I didn't doubt myself as I set out to do a reprise of last Saturday's 26k route (this time minus the diversion to Offham). 

I should have guessed the TR was taking its toll when my Garmin told me I was about 20s per K slower than last week - and whatever I did to change the leg cadence seemed to have little effect. I also knew something was amiss as I approached Black Cap (5k in) since I chose to skirt round it, rather than heading up and over.

Sure enough, as I looped back around Ditchling Beacon at my 10.5k turning, the prospect of imminently doing 6k fast was not appealing. And sure enough "fast" was not really possible. Still I dug in and pushed myself - and I did indeed go "relatively" fast, albeit still 20s slower than the week before (damn Garmin’s readable watchface).

The walkers this week were too smiley. The rain had left slippy puddles. The sun was too bright in my eyes. And I just kept counting 1-8 to keep my legs going.

Checking distance as I made it over Black Cap – down the leg numbing slope on the other side - and up the deceptive rise to Mount Harry – I realised I still had 2k left of harder (I had turned earlier than before). Thankfully the land was pretty much clear of people since every with right leg strike I shouted out something abusive until I hit 18k.

I then had 3k to go, and though it was all downhill these felt like the hardest 3k I had ever run. It was a supreme effort of will not to stop and stagger the remaining distance.

PS But having had a smoothie and shower, I was able to reward myself with a pint at the Elly within the hour.  My right foot today is sore and I’m hobbling a little on it. But I can’t imagine the race itself will be any harder than this.