Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The longest journey ...
16-11-2016, 08:11 AM,
The longest journey ...
The slow resumption of half marathon training starts again. And boy does it feel tough mentally. I tried to diagnose why I feel reluctant - having just shown I can train for and complete HM. 

I think - for me - it's because I realise more fully now what was involved in the process. How hard some of those runs felt. How much effort 8x800m interval training on a wet Tuesday night involves. How much my legs hurt at times.

It's like looking back at a series of peaks you've just climbed - it feels satisfying, but daunting if you realise you now have to do them all over again.

But, I rationalise to myself, each individual run was just one run, not all those runs done at once. You climb it one peak at a time.

Plus, to make it seem a little different, I'll use a different training plan from Runkeeper 

So I started last night with just half an hour of the Lewes Twitten run in reverse. And tonight comes the next step on the path to Almeria.
16-11-2016, 03:59 PM,
RE: The longest journey ...
(16-11-2016, 08:11 AM)OutAlongTheRiver Wrote: The slow resumption of half marathon training starts again. And boy does it feel tough mentally. I tried to diagnose why I feel reluctant - having just shown I can train for and complete HM. 

I think - for me - it's because I realise more fully now what was involved in the process. How hard some of those runs felt. How much effort 8x800m interval training on a wet Tuesday night involves. How much my legs hurt at times.

It's like looking back at a series of peaks you've just climbed - it feels satisfying, but daunting if you realise you now have to do them all over again.

But, I rationalise to myself, each individual run was just one run, not all those runs done at once. You climb it one peak at a time.

Plus, to make it seem a little different, I'll use a different training plan from Runkeeper 

So I started last night with just half an hour of the Lewes Twitten run in reverse. And tonight comes the next step on the path to Almeria.

A training plan eh?

I was going with the: "Lets do a bit of running between now and then, and rock up and see what happens" approach.
There is more to be done
16-11-2016, 06:09 PM,
RE: The longest journey ...
I find it hard to get motivation to run without some sort of plan to get me out there. And the RK plans have worked well for 10k and HM so far. They enforce a mix of slow/distance/interval/tempo runs on you. Without that structure I think I'd just do the same thing each time and not make any advance in pace/distance. To the extent that I have made any advance ...