Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018
15-02-2018, 10:14 PM,
XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018
This year I was worried because one week before the race I felt some pain in my left calf while I was training with Felipe. I put on some foam (Algesal) in my stiff muscles every day.I had tried to get a massage but it was all booked because of the race on Sunday. On Thursday before the race, I went for a short slow run to check how I was and I still felt a little pain. The day before the race I went with Felipe for another short run feeling better.

The race day arrived and I went to the race with the only aim to be able to get to the finish without suffering as much as last year. So, I didn't make the same mistake and I started slower trying to enjoy the race. I went with David S. to the start line but we got to the place where the 9 K runners were. I realised because Fátima, a friend who works as a nurse at the hospital I sometimes go to teach ill students, greeted me and I asked her if she was going to do the half as well. So, we went ahead with the half marathon runners where we saw OATR. In kilometre one I met Alberto, from Alicante, who usually wears a hat with the Spanish flag.I also met Jose A., a colleague. We went together two kilometres talking and met Ron, from Steve's group at the beginning of the hill in kilometre 3. I told José A. to go faster since I preferred to keep my strength for the last kilometres. At kilometre 4 I met Antonio G., who is going to be my relay mate at the Moyleman, and Rosa and Lely. After kilometre 5 I met Kim, who is from Scotland, but lives in Aguadulce, near Almería. She had a terrible pain in one of her legs and had to leave the race. I stopped to help her and went on to reach Louise and another mate from Steve's group. We went together a few kilometres but I and her friend couldn't keep Louise's pace. I reached Rosa, who was then running alone, and we went at the same pace all the course. On the way to Pescadería, near Nicolás Salmerón park, I greeted a few runners who were on their way back such as David, OATR, Brian, Naomi, Camilla, Jennifer, other runners from Steve's group with their blue T-shirts, friends from Almería ... At avenida Cabo de Gata, near where we live, my wife cheered me and took a few snaps and near the first stadium my brother also cheered and took a few pics.There, I also saw Juanjo, a friend of mine, who was helping as a volunteer. After going out of the first stadium and getting to avenida Cabo de Gata again, I knew that I had only five kilometres left and I felt fine. Rosa and I went at a pace that allowed us to talk and even pass a few runners who were more tired or with problems. We cheered them saying that the finish was very close. It was wonderful to reach the stadium feeling well. My real time was 2 hours 20 minutes 13 seconds, one minute 42 seconds less than last year but feeling fine. In the sports pavillion I met Felipe, who got a third prize in his category, Santi who had done the 9 k with his wife, Jose R, my nephew Luis who did the 9 k with Sweder's race number, because when he decided to take part to keep company to a friend who had had cancer the entries weren't allowed, Isabel and his husband Alberto who had done the half marathon ...

I am really happy to have been able to finish my sixteenth consecutive half marathon in my hometown and share so many moments with the big group that came here this year. It’s been an amazing weekend which I’d love to be able to share with as many people as possible but I must learn to run more wisely from less to more and I shouldn’t be obsessed with getting a PB but enjoy the race as much as possible.

Saludos desde Almería

11-03-2018, 08:05 PM,
RE: XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018
16 consecutive Almeria half marathons is one impressive streak Antonio ....you deserve a statue in the Plaza Mayor  Big Grin

As you know it's not just the race, it's about being able to stay injury free, illness free and commitment free year after year to be able to do it. Requires determination, bloody mindedness, a bit of luck and a lot of love of art! 

I seem to remember that Sweder managed 10 in a row as well which is also mightily impressive considering that he hardly lives nearby!! Big Grin 

Anyway, good luck with the Moyleman which I will be running with you in spirit in the wild mountains of El Bierzo (Alto Sil being run at the same time!).
13-03-2018, 09:48 PM,
RE: XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018
Muchas gracias, BB. I've been very lucky although last year the organisation gave an award to three or four runners who had managed to take part in th race every year.
It's really amazing that Sweder managed to do ten consecutive Almería half marathons.

Thanks a lot. I'll try and finish my relay part of the Moyleman. Best of luck at Alto Sil race, BB!

Saludos desde Almería.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXII Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 5 1,275 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Brief summary of year 2018. Antonio247 9 1,828 21-01-2019, 09:50 PM
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 5th February 2017 Antonio247 5 2,458 23-02-2017, 09:15 PM
  XIX Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 21 10,537 28-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014 Antonio247 5 3,984 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
  XVI Medio maratón de Almería 27th January 2013 Antonio247 6 5,220 18-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  XIV Medio maratón de Almería and other races Antonio247 15 12,609 01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010 Antonio247 13 11,218 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
  II San Silvestre Almería. 27th December 2009 Antonio247 6 5,973 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
  Medio maraton 2010 El Gordo 2 3,879 22-09-2009, 01:34 PM